Micro scale liquid masking

I've had success with thinning elmers glue (only tried the wood, but I assume white would work too) as a liquid mask. Needs to be thinned to the point that you can brush a straight line with it, if you need to. After painting, it comes right off. I've always put on 2-3 coats to be safe, but one should work.

Using it in conjunction with tape, would that mean taping up the middle areas between frames and using the liquid masking for the edges?

Yes, but in the order paul indicated - tape the edges and then fill in with masking goop. Not only is it easier to apply this way, but if you overlap the two masking mediums, when you remove the tape, the masking gel will usually be pulled up as well.

I prefer the Microscale Micro Mask brand. It's easy to control with a brush when applying (acts like thick paint), covers more securely and it holds together better when pulling it off. I tried Ambroid EZ Mask and it was a nightmare - like painting with rubber cement (doesn't flow), had to apply several coats to ensure coverage/thickness and it was as much fun to remove as old wallpaper.

I prefer the Microscale Micro Mask brand. It's easy to control with a brush when applying (acts like thick paint), covers more securely and it holds together better when pulling it off. I tried Ambroid EZ Mask and it was a nightmare - like painting with rubber cement (doesn't flow), had to apply several coats to ensure coverage/thickness and it was as much fun to remove as old wallpaper.
Have tried several different kinds and this is also my preferred brand of poisen.