Here's a Fokker D.VII you've probably never seen before!

Anybody ever seen a Nazi Fokker D.VII before? The caption reads (more or less):

This D.VII, acquired in 1920 by Karl Högger, was registered CH-46 (with the Swiss Air Force) until 1926. In 1936 it was given to the Luftfartssammlung (German Air Museum) as number 631. Ernst Udet delivered the aircraft to Berlin. In November 1943 it was destroyed in an air strike.

J

FokkerDVII_D-EIRA.jpg

I take it it was still flyable in 1936. Fascinating picture, Jennings. If it were still around and flyable in 1945, the Nazis would've probably slapped a couple of bombs (or panzerschreks) on it and flown it against the Soviets!

Regards,

Learstang

I wonder what the overall color was. Silver, Light Gray? It looks slightly darker than the white background in the swastika band, but not significantly.

At the time period in question, the overall finish would have been silver laquer. The lettering, black, the rudder decoration, red/white/black. I can't pick out the color of the wheel discs. Don't look silver. The drooping elevators are just in shadow, they're silver also. Note that she carries no armament. Pretty bird, and I believe I'll do her. Hal Sr

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr
I can't pick out the color of the wheel discs. Don't look silver.

Probably RLM 02, again, given the period and ordered colors.

Greg

PS ~ Very cool pic Jennings...thanks for posting.

Edited by GGoheen
Probably RLM 02, again, given the period and ordered colors.

Not exactly RLM 02. The a/c was in Swiss service, not German (as a trainer, hence the lack of guns). The German registration was likely only used to ferry her from Switzerland to Berlin. D.VII trainers in Swiss service carried at least a couple of different finishes, one of which was a greyish green color, not unlike RLM 02, called Feldgrau.

J

Speaking of oddball D.VIIs, the Cananaugh Flight Museum says: "The U.S. Army brought 142 D.VIIs back to the United States and used them as Air Service trainers for many years. Twelve D.VIIs were transferred to the U.S. Navy, and the U.S. Marine Corps operated six of these aircraft until 1924."

Can anyone point me to any pix of the USAAC, USN or USMC aircraft?

:thumbsup: Les (who previously swore off "Golden Age" aircraft. Yeah. Right.)

Not exactly RLM 02. The a/c was in Swiss service, not German (as a trainer, hence the lack of guns). The German registration was likely only used to ferry her from Switzerland to Berlin. D.VII trainers in Swiss service carried at least a couple of different finishes, one of which was a greyish green color, not unlike RLM 02, called Feldgrau.

J

I have to wonder, though, given how clean she was for having been in Swiss service for a number of years. I say this, thinking that the finish on her is nearly pristine and factory fresh in appearance, which would stand to reason that she was not only slapped with the civilian codes for her voyage back to Germany but painted over entirely.

Again, given the period and with the DLV asserting control over nearly all aspects of flying by 1933, I'd think it was not a Swiss service color at all but very much German RLM (01 Silber for the majority of the fabric surfaces and 02 Grau or L40/52 Hellgrau for the metal wheel hubs).

Greg

Perhaps the furthest and most unexpected location for a Fokker DV-II was the one used by the 6th PS in Hawaii. Their sister squadron, the 19th PS flew Eberhart SE-5Es.

A modeler in Hawaii has a shot of one, but details are hard to see in that photo.

Best wishes,

Grant

I have to wonder, though, given how clean she was for having been in Swiss service for a number of years.

You've never been to Switzerland, have you? You could eat off of almost any surface in the country :thumbsup:

I say this, thinking that the finish on her is nearly pristine and factory fresh in appearance, which would stand to reason that she was not only slapped with the civilian codes for her voyage back to Germany but painted over entirely.

I'm sure they probably did. My thinking is that for whatever reason, she got sprayed silver all except the wheel disks.

Again, given the period and with the DLV asserting control over nearly all aspects of flying by 1933, I'd think it was not a Swiss service color at all but very much German RLM (01 Silber for the majority of the fabric surfaces and 02 Grau or L40/52 Hellgrau for the metal wheel hubs).

The pic was taken in Switzerland as far as I can tell though... It comes from the Georg Hoch book on Swiss air force colors 1915-1950.

J

Blue Rider Insigniamag Fokker D.VII Foreign Colour Schemes shows SF service D. VII's in overall CDL or Pale Green, and D-EIRA in overall Aluminum or Light Grey dope. But since BR also depicts the wing Lozenge applied diagonally, some doubt might be appropriately cast. . .

The Swiss in-service trainer scheme was Swiss Feldgrau overall with standard Swiss crosses and black fuselage codes. The one in the museum in Dübendorf is painted that way, and that's what the Hoch book shows.

J