F/A-18D Academy 1/32 Scale

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen!

I'm here to introduce you my 1/32 scale Hornet that has been done almost two years ago but was armed completely

only yesterday. And now she's really armed up to her teeth. :)

Well, here she is!

51947-09572-28384974-.jpg

51947-acfa0-28384958-.jpg

51947-b84aa-28384969-m549x500.jpg51947-53d38-28384964-m549x500.jpg

51947-c9909-28384971-m549x500.jpg51947-70f0e-28384965-m549x500.jpg

51947-a15d7-28384961-.jpg

51947-db52e-28384967-m750x740.jpg

51947-4c5db-28384976-m750x740.jpg

51947-49a0f-28384963-m750x740.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Eastern

:jaw-dropping:

Oh my!!! that is a beautiful model Alexander.

:worship:

I could n't find a single gripe. Everything about the build looks flawless from the photos. Marvellous job.

I'm very impressed by the crisp look of your improved ordnance. The shot from the rear showing the burner sections of each missile is truly extraordinary. The Harpoons turned out beautifully and the new AIM-9 fins are so much finer. :)

I also like the touched-up paint effect that you've achieved around the various panels, particularly on the lower nose section. Very effective.

Another area that had me picking my jaw up off the floor is the sheen and clarity of the canopy glazing. The picture with the light reflecting across the windshield gives that lovely "oil on water" irridescent glimmer often seen on the full sized airframes.

The landing gear looks very convincing too. The weathering, dirt and grime are kept to just about the right amount and the same goes for the inside of the jet pipes. Lovely stuff.

Finally, it is a real treat to see someone get the MFDs looking correct. Bringing the screens to the front of the instruments looks much better and personally I prefer to see the panels unlit and without iconography when the jet is parked. Did you use photographic negative to make the MFD display panels look so realistic Alexander?

Thank you for taking the time to share this cracker, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing her again now that she's fully armed up. :salute:

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Oh my!!! that is a beautiful model Alexander.

I could n't find a single gripe. Everything about the build looks flawless from the photos. Marvellous job.

I'm very impressed by the crisp look of your improved ordnance. The shot from the rear showing the burner sections of each missile is truly extraordinary. The Harpoons turned out beautifully and the new AIM-9 fins are so much finer.

I also like the touched-up paint effect that you've achieved around the various panels, particularly on the lower nose section. Very effective.

Another area that had me picking my jaw up off the floor is the sheen and clarity of the canopy glazing. The picture with the light reflecting across the windshield gives that lovely "oil on water" irridescent glimmer often seen on the full sized airframes.

The landing gear looks very convincing too. The weathering, dirt and grime are kept to just about the right amount and the same goes for the inside of the jet pipes. Lovely stuff.

Finally, it is a real treat to see someone get the MFDs looking correct. Bringing the screens to the front of the instruments looks much better and personally I prefer to see the panels unlit and without iconography when the jet is parked. Did you use photographic negative to make the MFD display panels look so realistic Alexander?

Thank you for taking the time to share this cracker, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing her again now that she's fully armed up.

Hi Guy! Thanks for dropping by and for so nice comments, I was really thrilled and impressed by your kind and generous words.

As for the MFD, yes I used photofilm to simulate them. It was old color photofilm on which a couple of snapshots were spoiled and gave deep dark-brown, nearly closer to black shade and I considered the film was that very stuff I need. :jaw-dropping:

Alex between you and G. Wilson I can't tell which ones finished builds looks the most realistic......This Bug is Outstandingly fantastic.....'nuff said .

Hi Angels49 and Tilt, thanks much for so high appreciation.

Cheers and happy modeling!

:)

:blink: Wow Alexander! That Hornet is so damn good!!!! I absolutely love that nice weathering you managed to attain on that Hornet. And your little corrections to the Sidewinders and Harpoon missiles are simply an added bonus to your fantastic bug! Your Hornet sure looks like she's about to sting! I better take cover now! :lol:

Alexander - now that the images of your amazing F/A-18D are firmly burned into my retinas, (because I can't stop looking at what you've done), I have to say, uh...uuum......KICK *SS!!! :blink:

I'd seen your work on the ordnance in the "jet modeling" forum, but had no idea what the finished product would look like - just stunningly cool work, man! How did you get that subtle tint on the canopy (if you don't mind my asking... :lol: )? It looks as close to the real thing as I've ever seen! The paint colors you chose for the TPS scheme also look dead-on, to my eye...Gunze, maybe?

Made my day - Thanks for sharing this one!!

:o

-Rob

P.S. This:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D21mxgGRhY :D

Edited by Rraab

Hi, Qian, Rocat, Froggy, Shawnsfavmimic! Thank you, guys, for nice words, much appreciated.

Mr. HOLMES, thank you for honouring me with your attention. ;)

Alexander - now that the images of your amazing F/A-18D are firmly burned into my retinas, (because I can't stop looking at what you've done), I have to say, uh...uuum......KICK *SS!!!

I'd seen your work on the ordnance in the "jet modeling" forum, but had no idea what the finished product would look like - just stunningly cool work, man! How did you get that subtle tint on the canopy (if you don't mind my asking... )? It looks as close to the real thing as I've ever seen! The paint colors you chose for the TPS scheme also look dead-on, to my eye...Gunze, maybe?

Made my day - Thanks for sharing this one!!

-Rob

Hi Rob and thanks much for your kind words.

As for the tint on the canopy... Well, I don't keep any trade secrets at all. ;) I always polish canopies firstly with #2000 sand paper

and then I use Tamiya's Polishing Compaund Finish. As a polishing cloth I always use the material which one uses to wipe sun glasses.

I know that other modelers use Future to cover the canopies, but I've never tried the stuff, I'm just happy with the result my method gives. ;) But to polish canopies that way you should arm yourself with much patience. And yet, for the canopy is very fragile stuff and can easily be covered with "web" being even slightly overstressed, you should also be very careful while polishing.

After the canopy's treated, I wash residue of the compaund with warm water with common soap (never use toilet soap especially which contains some aromatic oils or likely stuff 'cose such soap can leave a kind of film on the canopy' surface).

Finally, treat the surface with the cloth, dry. Do it vigorously to achieve the tint but, again, be careful not to overheat the surface. ;)

As for the paint used, I always use Tamiya's XF type matt enamel paint. To my opinion it gives nice smooth finish with no "orange peel" effect.

Cheers!

Alexander.

That's one hellva' Hornet, Alexander! Your patience has definitely paid off!

Everything is so... awesome!! Your work on the canopy also caught my eye too, I may have to 'borrow' your technique for my next build! :cheers:

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7
Outstanding!!, Love the worn weathered look.

Great work on the landing gear, how did you get the thick gloss paint look which the real items allways display?

One of the best weathering jobs I've seen.

Shaun.

Hi blackhawk7! Sure, you MUST use my polishing technique! ;) Those shining canopies always look great and give the models a life-like appearance.

Thank you, Shaun!

I used Tamiya's XF-2 white matt as a "primer" and then - mixture of XF-2 and X-2 (Tamiya white gloss). The proportion has been determined just by sight.

Cheers!

Alexander.

I always polish canopies firstly with #2000 sand paper

and then I use Tamiya's Polishing Compaund Finish. As a polishing cloth I always use the material which one uses to wipe sun glasses.

I know that other modelers use Future to cover the canopies, but I've never tried the stuff, I'm just happy with the result my method gives. :worship: But to polish canopies that way you should arm yourself with much patience.

I'm with ya brother. I've never used 'future' or anything like it. It's down to good old 'elbow grease' and patients with canopies. It often brings me back to the days of polishing my military boots - lol. And yeah - I noticed your canopy really 'popped' in the photos. I wondered if it was a polish job.