Academy 1/72 CF-18A Hornet

This Academy CF-18A Hornet was built OOB except for the pilot figure which was robbed from a Fujimi Tomcat. The fitting was excellent throughout and I never did encounter the "wonky" nose problem which some people have reported.

The model was pre-shaded with Gunze flat black. Camouflage colours of Gunze FS36375 and FS35237 were then applied. The model was then given a gloss coat in preparation for the decals. The kit decals were printed by Cartograf and settled down excellently with some Mr Mark Softer.

One error that Academy made was the colour of the Modex Nos. and false canopy. Instead of a dark grey, they printed them as black. I used them in any case as attempting to mask and spray the false canopy would have been a real PITA.

Following the decals was another gloss coat. Then came the enamel panel wash and some light weathering. Finally, all this was sealed with a flat topcoat.

The weapon selection was taken from the box. They came with full weapon stencils too, really making them "pop" out.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy the photos. As usual, feedback and critique are most welcome.

Hornet_small18.jpg

Hornet_small19.jpg

Hornet_small20.jpg

Hornet_small21.jpg

Hornet_small22.jpg

Hornet_small23.jpg

Hornet_small24.jpg

Hornet_small25.jpg

Mark

Excellent ... :thumbsup:

I love in-flight builds and I really like the way you mounted your Hornet ... :D

The CF-18A looks just fantastic with the paint, weathering and loadout ...

Top Shelf !

Gregg

Thanks for the compliment, Arnaud.

To mount the model, I first drilled a hole through the kit's engine turbine and afterburner flameholder section. Then I inserted an aluminium pipe. To secure the pipe, I used both CA glue and 2-part epoxy putty to give it additional strength. Finally, I bent the aluminium rod using a spray can as a guide and inserted it as far as i could to ensure that friction kept the model from rolling. Here's a diagram and a few photos of how I did it.

In-flightmount.jpg

Hornet_small15.jpg

Hornet_small16.jpg

Hope this helps!

Mark

This is my favorite shot!!! Really looks ready to be photo-shopped over some Rocky Mountains images!

:thumbsup:

tn_Hornet5.jpg

tn_Hornet4-1.jpg

Not great I know but it's quite difficult to get the look right when superimposing an image taken under artificial light against a naturally lit background, particularly when the background contrast is so high. If Mark ever posts some shots taken in full sunshine I'll maybe have another go.

Cheers,

:worship:

Edited by geedubelyer
  • 2 years later...