Hi there everybody,

With my Su-7 completed and with sufficient confidence in my airbrushing abilities, I am now making a start on my 1/72 Bilek Shenyang F-6, which I will make in Somali Aeronautical Corps markings. (as promised in the entry thread, I have started on February :jaw-dropping: ) I have taken a look at the MiG-19 walkaround on the ARC page and will paint the cockpit in the colours I see there. I will also use the resin MB Mk-10 seat supplied, although I'm not sure if this was used in the Somali machines, it was used by all the other operators of the F-6C. However, I have been busy fighting the pieces, which have flash in some of the panel lines, so I am now learning to scribe the panel lines so that they are all engraved, I should have just bought 3 KP kits instead!! some lines are slighty crooked, but the result is better than if I hadn't done anything at all.

I will post some pics of the cockpit when it is done.

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Good to see someone tackling a MiG-19/F-6 especially in Somali colours - nice.

I built a Bilek MiG-19PM last year and, although they are basically good kits, they fight you all the way!

Looking forward to some pictures

Chris

The cockpit is now done,

P1010137-1.jpg

I can see what you mean Vultures1, It was an intense struggle to get the side panels at an angle where the interior sits correctly in the fuselage. The instrument panel was too low set in the cockpit and I couldn't raise it as it wouldn't fit along the top of the "dashboard", so I made a blanking plate so that daylight cannot be seen.

P1010138-1.jpg

In my epic battle with the cockpit fit, I lost two throttle levers that I had added.

P1010139.jpg

As previously mentioned, I decided to use the resin MB Mk-10 ejection seat, it was nicely detailed, would have been better with PE buckles. A drybrush gave it more visual interest.

The cockpit is now installed in the fuselage, I am working on the nose intake now, and have found the area to add weight. I will brush paint the inside of the intake with the relevant camo colours, as airbrushing it will be too inconvenient.

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Hi again, :wierdo:

I've made a fair amount of progress since my last update, the fuselage has been glued together, the intahe and engine assembly have been assembled and fitted and the wings, horizontal and vertical stabilisers have been fitted.

P1010143.jpg

P1010144.jpg

Here you can see the resin para-brake on the base of the vertical stabiliser, this looks a bit off from all the reference pics I have seen, it is a bit too long and sticks out too much, but it looks nice enough so I will keep it.

P1010145.jpg

Here is a close up of the forward fuselage, the scratchmade gunsight can be seen, as can the intake assembly. I thought it would be too difficult to airbrush the sand and the blue scheme inside the intake, so I hand brushed it at this stage, just to keep this build as easy as possible!! :lol:

this bilek mig-19 is one of the worst kits i have ever done in my life.that forward fuselage is simply the worst fit i have ever seen.i see you have a lot of work ahead so good luck.i love the gun sight.why have you added a MB mk.10 seat?mig-19 use kk-2.

The Somali Aeronautical Corps operated the the Shenyang F-6C, the 'C' variant being slightly updated with features such as the parachute faring on the tail and the ability to fire AIM-9's (Egypt and Pakistan) On the Martin Baker website, the MK-10 is shown as being operated in shenyangs by Bangladesh, Pakistan and Tanzania. As Somalia operated the same plane, I decided that the Mk-10 would also be fitted to SAC F-6's

Plus its resin and it looks sooo nice!!!

I will agree that it is difficult to get the fuselage together, but I have seen worse and intend on tackling it with a positive attitude.

Edited by MiG Mongoose

I have built the Bilek Mig-19S and it is by far the most accurate Mig-19/ F-6 in 1/72nd out there.

If you place the built Bilek one next to a Kp/ mastercraft one you can immediately see a huge disparity between the two kits.

My only complaint will be the slope down ahead of the windshield on the Bilek Mig-19S is a bit too much. Kp has engineered it better. Also the front fuselage on the Bilek Mig-19S tends to be a bit oval in cross section whereas it should be more rounder in profile. I guess you could dunk the halves in hotwater and squeeze them into a better cross sectional profile.

The other issues are the fit of the fuselage front as its difficult to align it all together.

I will post my finished PAF F-6 pics soon when I take em today. I am happy with my Bilek kit as the Kp alternative especially with its horrible canopy shape just never cut it for me. Also the 4+ pub. drawings jive a whole heck of a lot more with the Bilek kit than with the old Kp one.

I will post my finished PAF F-6 pics soon when I take em today. I am happy with my Bilek kit as the Kp alternative especially with its horrible canopy shape just never cut it for me. Also the 4+ pub. drawings jive a whole heck of a lot more with the Bilek kit than with the old Kp one.

I started cutting up a KP MiG-19 to be grafted to a vacuform Q-5 fuselage a couple of months ago before life interrupted :crying2: ...

It will be another African bird, Sudanese to be specific!

If your main issue with the KP/ Mastercraft kit is the canopy shape, I'd suggest getting yourself some vacform canopies from Aeroclub (I got mine from Hannants). It really makes your cockpit detail work and painting more visible.

Giles

The other issues are the fit of the fuselage front as its difficult to align it all together.

What I did to assemble the fuselage together was to glue the cockpit into part A10 (port fuselage halve), dry fit it with B11(starboard Fuselage halve), once the cockpit was set, I glued the port nose halve (A20) to A10, holding down the top and bottom sections of the fuselage halve with some tensioned masking tape. This was removed once the join between A20 and A10 was strong enough, A20 kept the curvature of A10 correct, I then added part B11 using a really tight rubber band so it line up with A10, then doing the same between A20 and part B21. This made the parts align fairly well, here is the result: (sorry about the lighting)

P1010150.jpg

I found this no less difficult than the nose ring of my previous project (KP Su-7)

P1010151.jpg

The real problem part was here. The engine and the fuselage are not level, so I added a lot of filler to create a smooth join, filling in a horrific sink mark in the process. I have not got it completely right, but it is good enough and it is an improvement :)!! Note that is blu tack in the engine area, not filler!!

The insides of the gear doors are now painted, with Humbrol 127 and I have made a wash out of powdered charcoal, dishwashing soap and water. I feel that it was too diluted, something I will correct when I give the panel lines a wash.

P1010148.jpg

That's all for now, I hope to start painting later today or tomorrow...

Edited by MiG Mongoose

...And I did

Having successfully applied the underside blue, I turned to the base top colour, which I would use Humbrol 148 for this purpose. Hovever, Having used it on previous projects, combined with Humbrol's poor tin design meant I did not have enough paint for the two coats I require. As it may be a while until I am able to get another tin, I can not see myself making the deadline for the GB :thumbsup:

Why did I build a Hobbycraft Su-22?

Why did I make a Libyan Mirage F1 instaead of a Morrocan one?

Why can't humbrol paint pots be designed more effectively? :thumbsup::cheers::boohoo:

My sincerest apologies. -_-

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Uhhhh.... :huh:

It seems I have over reacted a bit ;) :D , I was able to brush some spare paint on the tail areas. since it was thinned, no brushmarks were apparent. I have since applied the green (tamiya XF-71) and am masking up for the brown.

I'm back on schedule!! :rofl:

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Greetings comrades,

After several evenings of working on this project, I am glad to say that it is finished!!!!!! :blink:

P1010137_2.jpg

P1010136_2.jpg

P1010138_2.jpg

P1010141_2-1.jpg

P1010143_2-1.jpg

Painting, aside from the previously mentioned issue, went well, the final assembly was very good and trouble free. Unfortunately the plane is a tail-sitter so a trestle made from clear plastic sheet was added. This is the first panel line wash that I have applied to a project, I feel that it came out well.

All in all I am very pleased with the result

Special thanks to ARC member Ham :) for supplying me with a copy of the missing pages in my instructions, without his help, this would be a Pakistani AF bird! :lol:

Thanks everyone for watching and good luck with your builds.

Edited by MiG Mongoose
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
wow nice project! can you tell which colour you've used??

ciao

Ale

Hi Ale,

I've seen your FT-6 so I'm sorry I'm a bit late, I used Humbrol 65 for the underside, 148 for the sand, 29 for the brown and Tamiya XF-71 for the green

Not sure if thats of any use for you now, your FT-6 looks very good :pray: