Odd home made decal problem

So tonight I tried my hand for the first time with making and applying my own decals.

I am using Experts-Choice inkjet decal paper with microscale liquid decal film. The graphics went onto the paper fine, using my HP 6500. I then applied the decal film with my air brush after thinning it about 50% with alcohol.

The decals are going down alright, with no color bleeding. My problem is that that they are peeling up around the edges, and they are very thick. There is a pretty obvious edge around the decals, even after applying liberal amounts of Micro Sol.

Am I doing something wrong, or are home made decals always difficult to deal with?

Thanks,

C. Alan

Edited by C. Alan

I'm guessing either the paper or the coating you put on it. I'd lean towards blaming the paper.

I've made lots of decals and used several brands of paper, I wouldn't call any of them thick. They have varied from very thin to average thickness kit decals, most have made Microsol redundant although I use it anyway. I use the Testors clear coat for decals when I use an inkjet or laser jet printer.

I'm not familiar with that particular brand of paper, but some one gave me some stuff called vita clear (or something like that) which was quite thick, almost like shelf paper.

Micromark, Testors and Bare Metal Foil make decent decal paper. The Testors is very thin but comes in an annoying 1/2 sheet size (8.5x5.5"), Micromark was a bit thicker and the BMF brand paper was the thickest (but still pretty thin).

I've had that problem just once with home made decals and I can only think that the clear coat was on too thick.

I've used home made decals about 10 times, with no problems.

But this one time, I used a spray can and usually spray at a 45 degree angle one pass, then another 45 degree pass. Sometimes quickly. This time I must have been a little slow with my pass and laid on too much clear. I then let the decals dry for at least an hour, usually overnight. The decals, when cut out and applied, curled up, went down, then curled up again, and after probably 5 separate applications of decal solvent, finally went down. I thought for sure that the decal would be destroyed, but, it wasn't.

I used Bare Metal's paper/film and complained to them about their product ... but after much thought, I think I was to blame.

Hope this helps

Pete

I think it may have been the coating. It was the first time I had tried to an airbrush for coating decals, and it was hard to get the stuff to spray. I think I made about 4 or 5 passes with the decal film.

The paper I am using is the stuff that Bare Metal Foil sells. I took the 'Experts-Choice inkjet decal paper' brand name off the package.

I guess it could be the clear. You don't need much, I usually lay on 2-4 very light coats just kind of misted on.

I understood that the microsol clear was very compatable with Microsol, almost melting away when it was applied. I've never used it though, a can of the Testors spray will do dozens of sheets and I don't have to mess with an airbrush.

I guess it could be the clear. You don't need much, I usually lay on 2-4 very light coats just kind of misted on.

I understood that the microsol clear was very compatable with Microsol, almost melting away when it was applied. I've never used it though, a can of the Testors spray will do dozens of sheets and I don't have to mess with an airbrush.

I hope next time I go to my LHS, they will have the Testors spray in stock again. They seem to be hit or miss on stocking that sort of thing, and have been out for the last several weeks. So I ordered it from the microsol decal film from spruebrothers.

Edited by C. Alan

I could never find the Testors decal spray alone at any physical store I tried. I ended up getting a 3 pack from Tower. 3 cans will last me for years. I've heard the Krylon clear is supposed to be good for decals, but again I haven't actually used it.

Edited by Aaronw

I can't speak for inkjet printed decals, as I have only made ALPS printed ones. But, I have had great sucess on the latter with Testors Gloss Lacquer (1961). One or two light mist coats, goes on like a dream, is very thin, and I have never had a problem. A friend had made me some special decals that he had printed on a combination of inkjet ink/paper, and ALPS ink/appropriate paper. He suggested that I overcoat them with the Krylon Crystal Clear. I used it on the inkjet decals, and although it was probably my technique, they came out very thick and pebbly. I would reccommend that as with any new technique or product, PRACTICE on something else first. I have yet to use the Krylon coated inkjet decals on my project, as I am not sure how they will look on the finished product. For anyone looking for paper for use with a laser printer or ALPS, I highly reccommend Tango Papa. His decal film is offered in different sizes, is always fresh, and he is great to do business with. I have no afiliation with him other than being a very satisfied customer. Also, the backing paper of his clear film has a slight light blue tint to it, making it perfect for decals containing white. It is easily distinguished so that cutting out the decals is a piece of cake! Hope this helps.

David