MH-53J 1/72nd Italeri

How big is that sucker? I know the 48th scale version is huge... I imagine it is about 6-8" long?

She is a good size when one takes into account the fact she has a six blade main rotor and four blade tail rotor.

Main rotor with blades is 12 inches. From tip of main rotor blade to the back of the tail rotor blade seems to be 14 3/4 inches in length.

I have the HH-53C Super Jolly Green kit, the CH-53 is quite a large one I was quite surprised when I opened the box and had to recheck that it was 1/72.

Have fun with your monster. :whistle:

I have the HH-53C Super Jolly Green kit, the CH-53 is quite a large one I was quite surprised when I opened the box and had to recheck that it was 1/72.

Have fun with your monster. :worship:

I know what you mean about the 1/72 scale H-53 being a big Helicopter ; I had to replace the four support posts on one display cabinet from 2 inch x 2 inch to 3 and half inch wide just to accommodate the H-53 rotor span , their still sitting on the original narrow shelves .

picture003pkj.jpg

Other times you can only fit one H-53 per shelf , with other smaller birds parked around her .

picture004eh.jpg

I'm in the process of redesigning some new display cabinets for my 1/72 scale models and most of the measurements start from the H-53 rotor span .

John .

I know what you mean about the 1/72 scale H-53 being a big Helicopter ; I had to replace the four support posts on one display cabinet from 2 inch x 2 inch to 3 and half inch wide just to accommodate the H-53 rotor span , their still sitting on the original narrow shelves .

Other times you can only fit one H-53 per shelf , with other smaller birds parked around her .

I'm in the process of redesigning some new display cabinets for my 1/72 scale models and most of the measurements start from the H-53 rotor span .

John .

:jaw-dropping::worship: I have the C kit, that might be next, long as the decals are still good.

John .

You might want to design them around the Mi-26, it makes the CH-53 look like a Jet Ranger. :jaw-dropping:

You might want to design them around the Mi-26, it makes the CH-53 look like a Jet Ranger. :jaw-dropping:

You make an excellent point Aaron

I remember taking a comparrison photo of the Zvezda 1/72 Mil Mi-26 fuselage compared to the Italeri MH-53E and even without the Mi-26 tail fitted , she dwarfs the Sea Dragon

picture004v.jpg

I'll re-check my measurements , I'll definitly have to make some serious dimensional changes , the Mi-26 rotor span is incredibly huge .

John .

That's a superb Super Stallion Patrick ;

The Mi-26 looks like it's coming along well .

I wonder if anyone knows of any low viz 1/72 USMC decals ; I wanted to build a couple of Italeri HH-53C as CH-53D's in the two tone gray finish .

h53helicopterkits.jpg

It would also be nice if italeri would re-issue their CH-53E Super Stallion kit , the MH-53E Sea Dragon is available just about everywhere , I would love some more CH-53E's

Hi

You can try these, which are Italeri kits in disguise :

http://www.model-making.eu/szczegoly.php?g...p;przedm=889416

http://www.model-making.eu/szczegoly.php?g...;przedm=1061045

Sadly the grey markings of the CH-53D are too dark.

For the -E, I found this :

http://www.daveswebshop.com/it081.shtml

Now, I'm looking forward to Wayne's Shitter ... this topic subjet.

Patrick

Anyone have a write up on flipping the blades? I would have to look down stairs but the blades if I recall right are in the wrong direction.

Hope to have something (progress) to show in a few days. Just got a new computer yesterday (old one crashed) so it needs setting up etc.

I must say, I do have Envy of yahs with all them 53s LOL.

Edited by Wayne S

Hi Wayne ,

I remember when I built my first Italeri MH-53E Sea Dragon , italeri molded the blades upside down .

Looking at the two more recent Sea Dragon kits it appears that italeri may have corrected the error ;

The same with Revell's MH-53J Pave low , the rotors look okay .

My apoligies if it seemed like I hijacked your topic with pic's of my builds and stash ; I'm most grateful for the links Patrick posted about the Bilek H-53 kits and the CH-53E .

Best of luck with your build Wayne .

Kind regards

John .

Hi Wayne ,

I remember when I built my first Italeri MH-53E Sea Dragon , italeri molded the blades upside down .

Looking at the two more recent Sea Dragon kits it appears that italeri may have corrected the error ;

The same with Revell's MH-53J Pave low , the rotors look okay .

My apoligies if it seemed like I hijacked your topic with pic's of my builds and stash ; I'm most grateful for the links Patrick posted about the Bilek H-53 kits and the CH-53E .

Best of luck with your build Wayne .

Kind regards

John .

I don't mind you guys posting them in this thread. I checked both my J and C kit, they have the blades in the right direction. Both kits are molded in brown, thought the C was an earlier kit.

The revell kit of the J, is that the same as the Italeri? How does the Fujimi match up with the Italeri's?

The Revell MH-53J is the same as Italeri's kit ; The Fujimi HH-53C is probably the best of the lot . The tail section can be glued in the folded position but you would have to scratch-build the main rotor fold . I'm hoping someday someone may produce a resin rotor fold set for the 1/72 H-53's , I'm saving the Fujimi kit for such a day ; I'm also waiting for squadron.com to stock up on more of the Fujimi H-53 kits , I know they also did a nice U.S.Navy RH-53D .

The Revell MH-53J is the same as Italeri's kit ; The Fujimi HH-53C is probably the best of the lot . The tail section can be glued in the folded position but you would have to scratch-build the main rotor fold . I'm hoping someday someone may produce a resin rotor fold set for the 1/72 H-53's , I'm saving the Fujimi kit for such a day ; I'm also waiting for squadron.com to stock up on more of the Fujimi H-53 kits , I know they also did a nice U.S.Navy RH-53D .

Thanks for the info bud.

• 1 month later...

Does not look well for getting this done now. So far we got eight inches of rain in the last 36hrs. My Basement is in a pretty good mess right now and I have a feeling will take a few weeks to clean/ work everything out.

Does not look well for getting this done now. So far we got eight inches of rain in the last 36hrs. My Basement is in a pretty good mess right now and I have a feeling will take a few weeks to clean/ work everything out.

Hey Brother,

My prayers are with you for dry weather and minimal damage. Take care of your priorities, the modeling will wait. Don't ask me how I know... Hang in there.

David

Hey Brother,

My prayers are with you for dry weather and minimal damage. Take care of your priorities, the modeling will wait. Don't ask me how I know... Hang in there.

David

Thank you bud, rgr on a priority deal.