CH-113 Labrador 1/72

I have made a start on the Canadian CH-113 Labrador ;

sdc10186g.jpg

sdc10185h.jpg

I'll add the rest of the rear seating and get ready to close up the fuselage halves , everything has fit without any issue's , so I am quite happy with my progress .

John .

Looking good so far, are you going to add the APU to the rear rotor pylon?

I'm going to try and scratch build the APU , Aaronw kindly sent me a link to Belcher Bits web site which had a pic of their 1/48 resin tail section for the CH-113 Labrador . I copied the pic to use as a reference along with two other interior photo's I found searching the net .

picturezz.jpg

Hopfully I can make something that looks like an APU ;

John.

Did the Hobbycraft kit come with the USMC parts that has the APU? I'm guessing not. You might try to use a piece of sprue and carve it up and glue it to the pylon then fill it out with putty.

The reason I asked about the other part was when I worked on this conversion I used the part with the APU as the base and added the top from the Fujimi kit for the correct shape. Both fit the back of the Fujimi pylon well.

Good luck.

I went and looked at the Hobbycraft sprue frames , in the hope I may have overlooked the part which would be the APU ; But unfortunatly no such luck .

sdc10195s.jpg

I did find the external rescue hoist and the two cylindrical engine inlet covers ;

sdc10199.jpg

These items aren't on the Fujimi KV-107 II kit .

I'll scrounge through the spares box and see if I can find something suitable to use for the APU .

I found a couple of missile's in the spares box , so I cut a small section off the rear end and filed a groove to fit around the tail fin .

ch113apu.jpg

It's only a first try , there will plenty of Tamiya putty involved later on but I think it might work out ???

There is one thing I'm not to sure about and that is how the APU unit would sit . The trailing edge of the rear fin is offset to the starboard , does the the APU follow the same angle or should it sit more in the center line position ; I hope that makes sense !!!

ch113apu2.jpg

John .

• 1 month later...

I'm finally ready to start masking the CH-113 Labrador ,

picture007wp.jpg

I spent a lot of time puttying and sanding to create the APU unit at the rear end

picture010tr.jpg

picture012gh.jpg

The APU came out okay , not 100% perfect but seeing this is the back end of the helicopter and it will be painted black as well , it's probably not something that will be all that noticable .

I'm happy with my effort , and that's the main thing . :salute:

John

I took a quick visit to a couple of local hobby shops today and picked up these three kits .

picture008rj.jpg

I've been wathching the Geman H-34 build that pete is building here on the Air Rescue build and thought I would like to build the same version . I have some spare blue SAR decals form a Revell Westland Seaking MK-41 , I thought might be suitable .

Out of curiosty I bought the Airfix Boeing Vertol Sea Knight 107/UH46

picture001zm.jpg

I've seen this kit many times over the years and seeing the kit came with U.S Navy decals , I thought I could at least us the Navy markings on one of my many Hobbyboss H-46 kits in my stash .

What really suprised me was the kit has the asymetrical tail section including a molded on APU

picture006by.jpg

The Airfix kit is fairly basic , there is no rear cabin floor section but it wouldn't be difficult to cut some from sheet plastic . I may need to do some more puttying and sanding to get the fujimi APU to look a little more like the Airfix one .

The only disappointing thing about the Airfix bird is the cockpit canopy , the frame lines on the front are just visible and there are no frame lines on canopy sides .

John .

I just ordered the Belcher Bits CH-147 Chinook , CH-113 Labrador and CH-149 Cormorant .

I like the overall green scheme for an early [1971] CH-113 with standard rear sponsons , so I'll add the Airfix bird to my ever growing Canadian Helicopter stash :thumbsup:

John

Awesome so far. Looking forward to some more updates. The Lab always hits home with me. Good work! and let me know how the decals are, if they are any good, might just end up buying some myself.

:doh:

Forgot to ask, does the new hobby craft kit include the nose weather radar or is it still the model from before the upgrades?

Edited by pbishop

That is interesting, I've toyed with picking up the Airfix kit for the Swedish markings, the APU certainly adds another reason to consider it. They are usually pretty cheap so worst case not a bad price to pay for a parts donor.

Looking forward to seeing some color on the CH-113.

Awesome so far. Looking forward to some more updates. The Lab always hits home with me. Good work! and let me know how the decals are, if they are any good, might just end up buying some myself.

:thumbsup:

Forgot to ask, does the new hobby craft kit include the nose weather radar or is it still the model from before the upgrades?

There is no nose weather radar included in the Hobbycraft kit , also to save some time i was thinking of leaving the nose radar of my CH-113 , all the kits I've been working on so far this year are going painfully slow , I'm desperatly trying to finish at least one build before the end of this month ; Just not sure what ???

That is interesting, I've toyed with picking up the Airfix kit for the Swedish markings, the APU certainly adds another reason to consider it. They are usually pretty cheap so worst case not a bad price to pay for a parts donor.

Looking forward to seeing some color on the CH-113.

I paid ten bucks for the Airfix 107/UH-46 , The larger sponsons just fit right over the standard molded on sponsons which kinda makes it look toy-ish , that's why I was thinking about building her as an early version . Ten dollars is as cheap as they get here in Australia , if I can't find paint masks for the canopy , I will have to use the Hobbycraft canopy as a template and cut mask from tamiya tape to place on the Airfix canopy .

I paid ten bucks for the Airfix 107/UH-46 , The larger sponsons just fit right over the standard molded on sponsons which kinda makes it look toy-ish , that's why I was thinking about building her as an early version . Ten dollars is as cheap as they get here in Australia , if I can't find paint masks for the canopy , I will have to use the Hobbycraft canopy as a template and cut mask from tamiya tape to place on the Airfix canopy .

You could also try painting some decal paper the same color and cut strips to make the framing. Just place the decals and thats it. As for the nose radar, thats pretty dissapointing. I put together the older kit and made one relatively easily out of a piece of sprue and putty. I was hoping they would have added it when they made the new box. Thanks for the info and keep up the good work! It would be nice to see an old voyageur in the green paint, dont see too much of them.

:thumbsup:

Edited by pbishop

I did some more sanding on the APU , it looks a little more like the Airfix kit and the pic Flyboyf18 posted earlier .

picture012nc.jpg

However I had to remove the canopy and side cockpit windows ; I have struggled with some of my recent helicopter builds , after airbrushing , when I started to remove the canopy masks , this has created static electricity causing specks of dust to stick to the inside of the canopy as well as some type of smudge film to appear in certain places .

I'll dip the canopy and side windows into some Pledge One-Go [Future]

picture014ei.jpg

It's better if I do this now , given some of my recent failures where i've had to remove canopy's after airbrushing and then having to strip the paint off the canopy , dip in future , re-mask and paint again it all becomes really frustrating and upsetting that things aren't working out very well .

Slow progress I guess.... :soapbox:

John .

Those canopies are a pain in the rear to mask to start off with and very frustrating to deal with in my experience. I wish you good luck and patience. I ended up dropping mine while I was painting it and cracked the canopy aswell. After a 10 year build I dropped it in the final stages, talk about irony. Awesome work on that apu. Slow progress is better than no progress, lol, at least thats what I tell myself everytime I pick up a piece of plastic. Looking forward to seeing the paint go on.

John,

Nice work on the APU. I agree that glass can be a pain, especially where it meets the fuselage. On my first(and only) completed rotorcraft to date, while it taking for a test flight( admiring my work) it fell to the floor. The windscreen and chin bubble broke loose from the fuselage, and cracked the surrounding paint - Oh the humanity... I was able to recover, and complete the model. But, I feel your pain. I did dip all of the clear parts above in Future prior to attachment, but still ended up putting the glue on a little heavily after the repair. I have heard of a couple of different techniques from other modelers here who have achieved great results. I guess it is like anything - it takes practice. I will try some of these different approaches on my present and future builds, and see what works best for me. Good luck on your project, and continued progress. As said above, slow progress is better than no progress...

David