1/72 F/A-18D Photo Hornet decals

Vince, there aren't any "hey, I'm an ATARS" sheets out,,,,but, there are some decals of D's in the proper BuNo range

Hasegawa's D-9 kit

MAW decals sheet # 72-MAW-001

and one or more of the Two Bob's F/A-18D (#72-031)

none of those mention being for an ATARS bird,,,,they are just the correct BuNo's to possibly have been one

hth

Rex

I have not been able to marry up a F/A-18D decals from any source in 1/72 to a known ATARS bird, which is really frustrating because I really really want to do one. I would do them up custom myself, but you can't print grey with an ALPS printer.

Please please somebody prove me wrong, but I've yet to be successful.

-Hoops

ATARS is the Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance System, is used on USMC F/A-18Ds and, yes, you need to build one! :thumbsup:CLICKY!

I still hope that someone will come out with a dedicated sheet for these. Or at least include some ATARS birds on an USMC Hornet sheet. Wasn't Flying Leathernecks rumoured to come out with a USMC sheet for the Academy 1/72 F/A-18D?

ATARS is the Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance System, is used on USMC F/A-18Ds and, yes, you need to build one! :thumbsup:CLICKY!

I still hope that someone will come out with a dedicated sheet for these. Or at least include some ATARS birds on an USMC Hornet sheet. Wasn't Flying Leathernecks rumoured to come out with a USMC sheet for the Academy 1/72 F/A-18D?

I think that Flying Leathernecks is supposed to be doing a general 1/72 sheet, and I keep hoping that among any "D's" on there, we could get some ATARS birds. Dave seemed to indicate that there would be previously, but who know what the sheet will look like when it finally comes out.

I would think you could make one up from scratch pretty easy in 1:72

I'm waiting to see what the Wolfpack-Design items look like, if they are good I'll just pick that set up. However, if they miss the mark on it, I'll probably wind up scratching one myself. Its been "coming soon" for about 4 months now, so I don't know when it will actually show up.

Hoops

Edited by Hoops
  • 1 month later...

The Wolfpack conversion set is now listed as "new for March 2010" on their homepage. Also shown are pics of the parts and instructions. CLICKY! Sure looks nice. Lots of parts. Cost is $20 US.

Now all we need is decals!

The Wolfpack conversion set is now listed as "new for March 2010" on their homepage. Also shown are pics of the parts and instructions. CLICKY! Sure looks nice. Lots of parts. Cost is $20 US.

Now all we need is decals!

Wooow. Me want

Jozef

What the hell is ATARS? and do I need to build one?

I'm glad you asked this. I wanted to know too! :worship:

The Wolfpack conversion set is now listed as "new for March 2010" on their homepage.

Say, I vaguely recall Italeri (or Testors?) boxing of an RF-18 right? Is that also an ATARS bird?

TIA :D

<...>

Say, I vaguely recall Italeri (or Testors?) boxing of an RF-18 right? Is that also an ATARS bird?

In a way, yes. While all actual ATARS birds are F/A-18Ds, they want you to use a single-seater. Don't know how much that says about the accuracy of the set-up.

In a way, yes. While all actual ATARS birds are F/A-18Ds, they want you to use a single-seater. Don't know how much that says about the accuracy of the set-up.

The Italeri kit actually represented the "RF-18A" - or more properly F/A-18(R.) - single-seat prototype, while the Testors boxing advertised a speculative "RF-18D" two-seat configuration. At least one single-seater actually flew in the F/A-18(R.) configuration (possibly an airworthy mockup), but ultimately the early recon variant wasn't purchased. However, the undernose fairing used on the later F/A-18D(RC) birds (aka ATARS) is extremely similar, if not identical, to the earlier package from an external standpoint.

Both the Testors and Italeri Recon Hornets include the same plastic, with the option to build as a single or two-place jet, and the rest of the airframe representing an early (A/:cheers: bird.

• 6 years later...
On 3/5/2010 at 6:06 AM, Quixote74 said:

The Italeri kit actually represented the "RF-18A" - or more properly F/A-18(R.) - single-seat prototype, while the Testors boxing advertised a speculative "RF-18D" two-seat configuration. At least one single-seater actually flew in the F/A-18(R.) configuration (possibly an airworthy mockup), but ultimately the early recon variant wasn't purchased. However, the undernose fairing used on the later F/A-18D(RC) birds (aka ATARS) is extremely similar, if not identical, to the earlier package from an external standpoint.

Both the Testors and Italeri Recon Hornets include the same plastic, with the option to build as a single or two-place jet, and the rest of the airframe representing an early (A/:cheers: bird.

Could you share the kit/box numbers of those italeri & Testors kits?

7 hours ago, flybywire said:

Could you share the kit/box numbers of those italeri & Testors kits?

Wow, talk about blasts from the past!

The Italeri kit, packaged as "RF-18" is #154.  Testors kit "RF-18D" is #629. Both have the same plastic, building single seater or two-holers, but details of are more correct for an A/B than the later models.

1 hour ago, Quixote74 said:

Wow, talk about blasts from the past!

The Italeri kit, packaged as "RF-18" is #154.  Testors kit "RF-18D" is #629. Both have the same plastic, building single seater or two-holers, but details of are more correct for an A/B than the later models.

I'm looking at the Testors kit, #574(?) RF-18D Photo Hornet 1/48th. The clear ATARS fairing is just a glue-on, with no camera detail. The shape is good though, using Jake Melampy's Modern Hornet Guide as a reference, pages 152-157. Didn't Hase do an ATARS bird in 48th?

-and does anybody do ATARS bird decals in 48th?

End of hijack...

Vince,

I'm years that pursuit an ATARS bird converting the Academy kit,so I'll share the result of my effort 'till now.

The Wolfpack Design conversion wasn't the only set available,as this summer Attack Squadron made a set too;is more simple of the Wolfpack one  but the quality is good.I don't know how fit,but I read somewhere that the Wolfpack's don't fit like a glove...but because I still don't used any of the two sets I can't judge!

Decals;I'm very,very,very interested in build a OIF jet,but 'till some month ago I knew it was only available the Wolfpak sheet,with its notorious good quality,but not for a OIF bird...

Last summer,when I ordered the Attack conversion set,I discovered on the same site that Model Maker, ( the other one)  produced a pair of sheets for OIF planes;again I still don't used the sheets,so I can't hazard a judgement.

And that's all I know,I hope to be useful.

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
10 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Decals;I'm very,very,very interested in build a OIF jet,but 'till some month ago I knew it was only available the Wolfpak sheet,with its notorious good quality,but not for a OIF bird...

Gianni

Gianni,

While the markings on the Wolfpak sheet state 2007, there was no difference in the markings painted on VMFA-242 F-18Ds during their 2005 OIF deployment. See here:

https://www.history.navy.mil/content/dam/nhhc/research/histories/naval-aviation/Naval Aviation News/2000/2005/may-june/58877_P10_15_VMFA-242 300 dpi.pdf

the only thing that would be missing would be any crew under the canopy. If you can live without that, you're good to go.

Cheers,

Hoops

Thanks for the link Hoops,great!

I'm slightly nerd about the precision of a model,and also I'm prone to realize a Vikings bird,as I've pics of extremely weathered birds and I love dirty planes!

Anyway any info like yours are gold for me!

IAGeezer,Flying Leathernecks produced a sheet with an ATARS choice but is sold out.

Also MAW Decals produced ATARS sheet

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77