Is Tamiya putty no longer available in US?

Sorry if this topic has been bandied about before. Yesterday, while doing some on-line shopping for modeling supplies, I was shocked to see that nobody is carrying Tamiya Basic putty! Now, Squadron, I understand, as they have a vested interest in selling their own brand; but good ol' reliable Roll Models????? Is Tamiya putty no longer availble here in the states?

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Time to try another putty that many of us think is the best they have ever tried......3M Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty.

It's smooth, sands easy and dries pretty fast as well. B)

A giant 21 oz tube will last you many years.

05964.jpg

Here's my tube to show you the size of this thing.

2007_11283MPutty0001.jpg

Edited by MikeV
I can never find this mythical giant of putties...

None of the auto body repair supply shops carry it?

I bought mine off the internet. Do a Google search for it and you will find it at many places.

I got a tube of 3M acyrl blue and I'm not that big of a fan of it...I personally like the Tamiya stuff better...which you can still get overseas or you can get the newer white stuff that is out by them...works just as well.

I dont know if you want to order online, but here in Montreal there is a place that carries it and ships to the US. I dont know what the shipping costs are because I live next to them, but they have almost anything or can get anything you could imagine. Maybe worth while for those of you just on the other side of the border.

If it helps, you can get tamiya putties, paints, spray cans, primers, etc here in montreal:

http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/

They ship to the US, (gound and air) normal shipping charges.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that there is a minimum of 10$ purchase but they list prices in CAD and US funds.

Edited by pbishop
I got a tube of 3M acyrl blue and I'm not that big of a fan of it...I personally like the Tamiya stuff better...which you can still get overseas or you can get the newer white stuff that is out by them...works just as well.

OK, why are you not that big of a fan of it? What makes the Tamiya stuff better?

Look for a company that sells painting supplies etc to car refinishers.

Bob

NAPA sells it. Personally, I just stock piled enough Tamiya stuff to last me until the relabeling is done. Love that stuff. Thin it with lacquer thinner if you need, dries quick and hardly no if any shrinkage.

I know North America may not be Tamiya's biggest market but they should get there act together on their labels to include english as it would be a sad day to not be able to get their products in U.S., Canada and other places, what's next their paint? You know same thing with Gunze and Mr. Color, can't bring the paints in any longer due to labelling. So I use to order it from Rainbow 10 in Japan with some other guys and now they can't ship it to U.S. Canada any longer and pulled it off their ordering sheet. Unreal!

OK, why are you not that big of a fan of it? What makes the Tamiya stuff better?

[/quote}

I've had problems with it attacking plastic more so then Tamiya stuff and it seemed to be more gummy/harder to work with and took longer for it to set

Not to mention that thinning Tamiya putty with either liquid cement or lacquer thinner doesn't totally screw it up, unlike Blu Aryl putty.

Maybe my expections where too high, but I've hear so much good stuff about the Blu Aryl putty, just to be disapointed by it when I did use it.

I've had problems with it attacking plastic more so then Tamiya stuff and it seemed to be more gummy/harder to work with and took longer for it to set

Not to mention that thinning Tamiya putty with either liquid cement or lacquer thinner doesn't totally screw it up, unlike Blu Aryl putty.

Maybe my expections where too high, but I've hear so much good stuff about the Blu Aryl putty, just to be disapointed by it when I did use it.

If it is too gummy as you say then you are putting it on too thick.

Putty should be put on in the thinest layers possible so it can dry quicker and sand easier.

Why you would want to thin the Acryl Blue I don't understand as it is already the consistency of cake frosting.

Edited by MikeV

Having used both the Acryl (red, green and blue) and Tamiya putties as well as most other putties, I like Tamiya the best.

The consistancy, lack of shrinkage, the way it feathers along the edges, sticks well, scribes OKish.

I'm nursing the half tube I have left!

Tamiya light cure putty scribes great by the way. The stuff is really expensive though.

If anybody knows how/where to get some shipped to the US please let us know!

:cheers:

I'd assume HLJ, but you'd probably want to order more than a tube or two...

From the info on the rest of the thread, it's not a question of finding a source overseas; the stuff CAN'T be imported into the US by anybody until Tamiya changes the package labeling to include the proper legal warnings in English. I do hope they get their a**es in gear on this, as the 3/4-full tube I still have isn't going to last forever.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog
I do hope they get their a**es in gear on this, as the 3/4-full tube I still have isn't going to last forever.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I thought we were modelers? You have to improvise, adapt, overcome! :woot.gif:

From the info on the rest of the thread, it's not a question of finding a source overseas; the stuff CAN'T be imported into the US by anybody until Tamiya changes the package labeling to include the proper legal warnings in English. I do hope they get their a**es in gear on this, as the 3/4-full tube I still have isn't going to last forever.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I'm not convinced the rumor mill has this one right....

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/news/d...oblemreport.htm

Note the specific exemption for Tamiya. I've had trouble finding it stateside since last year, but have ordered it from overseas.

It is not just the safety labeling. Spray cans cannot be shipped by air - period. Flammables (which covers pretty much all putties and paints) likewise cannot be shipped by air. The Japanese post office will not touch this stuff at all. Shippers like FedEx etc. will, but only if provided with all sorts of fancy documentation as to the exact chemical breakdown of the product, plus whatever is being shipped has to be packed in a special, leak-proof, burst-proof box. Those boxes cost something like USD 8 to 10 for one box - and that is the smallest box available. In addition to the packing box and all the documentation, special handling charges apply. There is no cheap, economical way to ship these items. Sea Freight is subject to all the same restrictions, down to the boxes having to be locked in a fireproof safe. They cannot be thrown in with normal cargo.

Basically, it boils down to being one massive PITA and USD30 or more in shipping for a single USD 2.50 spray can of Mr. Surfacer. Not many folks willing to pay that...

I have tried the Acryl 3M green putty. It goes on OK, but it is harder when it dries. I have never tried Tamiya. I use Squadron Green. It does shrink, but it bonds well and is very workable. It is easy to scribe also doesn't chip much. Feathering is fine as long as you go finer with your sandpaper to finish it out.

Edited by DutyCat