Is Tamiya putty no longer available in US?

I use Bondo Spot Glazing putty. I got a giant tube of it at Wal-Mart real cheap, been using it for a good year and a half (and still have probably close to 99.5% of the tube remaining), and I haven't had a problem with it yet. As with all putties, though, you have to make sure you don't lay that stuff on real thick.

A local model shop where I live sells tamiya spray paints. He gets them through tamiya USA, but only the paints. He mentioned that tamiya paints are actually the only type of imported paints that are approved to be sold in the US. So I hope that eventually he'll be able to get the putty through Tamiya USA too.

To note, I never knew Vallejo made putty.

You can now get Vallejo putty either in a squeeze bottle or in a tube from Squadron.com

So is it good, or just OK? I may have to try some.

I consider Squadron is OK, 3M acryls blue/green a small step better, Tamiya white/Basic and Gunze Mr. White Putty good, and Tamiya Polyester excellent.

Magic Sculpt/Aves/Green Stuff is decent, about as good as Tamiya Basic Mr. White Putty, but it's messier to me using water to smooth it out and I hate the stuff on my hands.

CA for speed, but only just, it can cause a bigger mess if you lose track of where you just used it.

It's better than Squadron since it's finer and can be sanded to a very smooth surface. I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment. However, I just ordered Tamiya White Putty and Gunze Mr. White Putty, so we will see how it stacks up against those two.

Edited by RichardL
It's better than Squadron since it's finer and can be sanded to give a very smooth surface. I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment. However, I just ordered Tamiya White Putty and Gunze Mr. White Putty, so we will see how it stacks up against those two.
Where did you order the Tamiya from?
  • 1 month later...

OK, Tamiya White Putty is very good - it sticks very well and sands very well. I don't like Mr. White Putty as much since it dries and becomes too stringy too quick. Plus, it smells and releases noxious, harmful vapor. I like Squadron White the least since it's too coarse/grainy. Here are my preferences from left to right:

putty.jpg

For large seams and gaps, I like to use white Milliput.