1/48 RCAF SAR Lancaster

It begins. Don't worry the over weathering is no where near as pronounced with out the flash. I cleaned it up a bit since the photo was taken.

DSC_0124-1.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster with a cheap Eduard bit of photo etch that I doubt will be seen once everything is closed up.

Edited by phantom

Its the "Dam buster" version of the kit I got in a trade from Tony H around 3 years ago. (Seems I buy a bunch of Tony's models)

Anyway, thanks to a ARCer from England who donated the bomb bay doors from his wrecked Lanc I am now able to build mine as a late model search and rescue craft.

DSC_0125-2.jpg

This should be nice, I really like the look of the SAR Lancasters. Is this pretty much out of the box except for decals? I've been debating whether to get the Hasagawa RCAF SAR Lancaster or save some money getting the Revell Lanc and aftermarket decals. I got the Hasegawa Lancaster with lifeboat since that obviously included specialized stuff.

Lucky the Leading Edge decal sheet I am using comes with the not in the box stuff.

The Dam Buster kit also comes with the covered nose turret of course but not the bomb bay. This I was able to fix some time ago with the very kind help of another ARCer whose name I lost when the old computer died. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

He had a old Lanc from which he was able to part out. Lucky for me he gave the big part I needed.

I like that alot Sean, ill be watching this one closely, I have a 1/72 Lancaster 10SR planned sometime in the near future after I finish the big CF-18 and a Hurricane for a hobby show special category.

This should be nice, I really like the look of the SAR Lancasters. Is this pretty much out of the box except for decals? I've been debating whether to get the Hasagawa RCAF SAR Lancaster or save some money getting the Revell Lanc and aftermarket decals. I got the Hasegawa Lancaster with lifeboat since that obviously included specialized stuff.

Hey Aaron. I have the new Revell kit along with the Belcher Bits decal sheet (Thanks Don), and I must say that kit is a beauty, and half the price of the Hasegawa kit. Plus, it comes with the plugs for the radome and upper turret locations as well as the faired over turrets for the nose and tail. Basically meaning everything you need is in the box. Belcher's sheet has marking for one of the last SAR Lancs to fly, KB889.

edit: I just reread your post, I didnt realize the Has kit came with the rescue boat. The revell kit does not, I dont plan on having the bomb bay door open however.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

Maybe I should build my 1:24 Lancaster in this scheme haha

Anyway, the weathering is probably close to accurate, they were saving people, they didn't have time to clean!

On that note, how in the world can a Lancaster rescue someone? Could it land on the water or did it just find the victim and direct the rescuers?

Edited by Remington Box

Pretty much they searched, hopefully found and then sometimes would drop survival stuff to poor missing persons. Then direct the search parties in either smaller aircraft or by ground to where they needed to be.

Of course I will be doing this as a 103 Rescue unit airframe out of Torbay Newfoundland. Just have not fully decided if its going to be the under restoration in Toronto 104 or the all ready restored and flying 213 out of Hamilton.

I like that alot Sean, ill be watching this one closely, I have a 1/72 Lancaster 10SR planned sometime in the near future after I finish the big CF-18 and a Hurricane for a hobby show special category.

Hey Aaron. I have the new Revell kit along with the Belcher Bits decal sheet (Thanks Don), and I must say that kit is a beauty, and half the price of the Hasegawa kit. Plus, it comes with the plugs for the radome and upper turret locations as well as the faired over turrets for the nose and tail. Basically meaning everything you need is in the box. Belcher's sheet has marking for one of the last SAR Lancs to fly, KB889.

edit: I just reread your post, I didnt realize the Has kit came with the rescue boat. The revell kit does not, I dont plan on having the bomb bay door open however.

Two different kits, Hasegawa has an RAF Air Sea Rescue Lanc with an air dropped life boat, and an RCAF SAR Lanc. I have the Hase kit with the boat and the Revell kit I was going to do as a bomber. I've been looking at the RCAF kit as well but even on sale the best I've seen is $50, which is nearly 2x the price of the Revell kit. From what you've said I think the Revell kit and Belcher decals is the way to go in 1/72.

Placed on the inboard Belcher bits engines which are a HUGE improvement over the Tamiya ones. The Tamiya engines also only come with the wartime covered exhaust which would be completely wrong for a 1960 SAR Lancaster.

Going to need some putty but not a bad fit so far.

DSC_0001.jpg

Not sick, working, get up at 4 am , get home around 8 pm. Bed around 9. No time....no bed........

I did slap some putty on this morning so if I get a minute to myself on Sunday I'll smooth out whats all ready built.

Naw, its very streaky. Needs at least another coat maybe 3.

Right now it looks very weather faded, which would be fine except the excellent Leading Edge decals are rather vivid. Therefore they look wrong together right now.

Hope to get those extra coats on the plane Wednesday. Decals after that.

Interesting, I had a bottle of that stuff in enamel I never got any decent results from, maybe it was bad from the get go. Ill be using Tamiya white as a base coat, so I need to search out a decent acrylic dayglo red, gonna have to check out to see if Vallejo has a decent match.

edit: In the electronics buisiness we call that color NTSC red, we also say NTSC is an acronym for "Not the same color". We base that on the way it never looks the same on film or video tape as it does in real life. Me and a buddy each built Tamiya McLarens, mine an MP4/7, his an MP4/6. I used the Tamiya dayglo red decals, he painted his using Chevy Engine Red. Even though mine was technically more accurate as McLaren used dayglo red on white graphics, his color looked much more realistic, because that is what we are used to seeing in magazines and on TV.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
Interesting, I had a bottle of that stuff in enamel I never got any decent results from, maybe it was bad from the get go.

Use the acrylic, it is one of the best paints I have ever used. Should mention that I brushed it rather than sprayed, but I was very happy with it.