Sikorsky H-34 Marineflieger

Hi all,

For this GB I decided to build the 1/72 Italeri H-34 Choctaw. The version I'm building comes in a Revell box and will eventually look something like this.

Since this is a fairly simple kit, there won't be too many WIP pics, but I'll start with 2.

Interior, with custom made cabin roof:

P2023979.jpg

And how it looks now:

P2043989.jpg

The Italeri kit is missing some details on the outside, so following this walkaround, I hope I can make it look a bit more like the real thing.

• 1 month later...

After more than a month...

Progress!

I wasn't really motivated to work on this one, so it slowly moved to some dark spot on the workbench, untill I heard it calling me.

I added some tubing on the fuselage and sprayed the whole thing in Alclad Duraluminium. Next up, masking for the orange areas.

P3154056.jpg

Thanks for looking

hehe, I see, the LEGO guy is helping you! I love this helo in this colors! If you go to munich, you can see one in the museum in Oberschleißheim (Flugwerft).

The silver is not NMF, it is painted silver!

hehe, I see, the LEGO guy is helping you! I love this helo in this colors! If you go to munich, you can see one in the museum in Oberschleißheim (Flugwerft).

The silver is not NMF, it is painted silver!

Thanks!

Oh yeah, the LEGO guy is a big help on this one. :thumbsup:

I'm using a Walkaround of the Oberschleißheim one for this GB. There's a link to it in the first post. If I'm ever in the München area, this museum will be on the places to visit list.

With more orange, but less alclad (have to do some touchups, tape took some alclad off):

EDIT: And I also just found out that the vertical orange band on the fuselage is not wide enough. There will be SAR decals on it, and I forgot to measure those and just guessed the width of the band. I need to add at least 5mm to the rear, and redo the half circular cutout for the roundel on the top fuselage. :salute:

P3174057.jpg

Edited by Pete
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the overall silver paint scheme with the orange nose/tail and fuselage band ; which got me thinking about building a similar one myself .

Am I right in saying that the West German Army version has the "bent leg" landing gear and the Navy H-34 has the V style landing gear . The reason I ask is I order 5 Italeri UH-34J kits and they arrived this week from three different hobby stores but all the kits have the early bent leg landing gear , I was quite disappointed , three of my previous buys of the identical kit came with the V style landing gear , two of the newly arrived five I'll build as US. Army birds , one olive drab and the other overall white with a red medical cross , pic's in my two H-34 reference books show the West German Navy H-34's with the V style landing gear , did the Navy operate both types ???

Can't wait to see her finished pete .

I finally started decalling on this one. I had great trouble with the orange and metal at the fuselage, for some reason I pulled off big parts of it with Tamiya tape, even after a coat of future. So the paintjob is not as smooth as it should be on mostly the left side of it.

P4034101.jpg

Am I right in saying that the West German Army version has the "bent leg" landing gear and the Navy H-34 has the V style landing gear . The reason I ask is I order 5 Italeri UH-34J kits and they arrived this week from three different hobby stores but all the kits have the early bent leg landing gear , I was quite disappointed , three of my previous buys of the identical kit came with the V style landing gear , two of the newly arrived five I'll build as US. Army birds , one olive drab and the other overall white with a red medical cross , pic's in my two H-34 reference books show the West German Navy H-34's with the V style landing gear , did the Navy operate both types ???

Can't wait to see her finished pete .

Thanks,

I don't know much about H-34's, in fact, I didn't notice that there are different style of the main legs untill I did some research for this kit. This kit also has a decal option for a German Army H-34, with the same style legs. I guess they operated both types. All pics of the german navy ones I have seen, have the V style legs.

Here's a pic of a German army H-34 with the V style legs: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---A...58A)/1555240/L/

And one with the bent legs: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Choctaw.html

Edited by Pete
I finally started decalling on this one. I had great trouble with the orange and metal at the fuselage, for some reason I pulled off big parts of it with Tamiya tape, even after a coat of future. So the paintjob is not as smooth as it should be on mostly the left side of it.

Looks awesome from where I am sitting bud :thumbsup:

It's finished!

Here are 2 pics, there are more in the Finished Builds thread.

P4094111.jpg

P4094113.jpg

It was a nice kit, and I enjoyed building it. Hope to see more nice builds in the GB.

• 2 weeks later...

A real beautiful model! I know how it feels...struggling with tape and alclad (or gunze Mr. metal)! The paint repair job often is very difficult and nerve killing!

A real beautiful model! I know how it feels...struggling with tape and alclad (or gunze Mr. metal)! The paint repair job often is very difficult and nerve killing!
Congrats! one wonderful looking bird bud :unsure:
Lovely little chopper :soapbox:

Thanks guys! ;)