HH-46 D "Pt Mugu Rescue"

I was not going to do that! but however, I needed a kit for clubnight, so dragged it outta the stash. Miiiiiight throw in a tad of Eduard in the front office, if it feels right, all doors closed, and easy, slap together just to get another one finished!

The academy sets are easy to build, so we'll see what progress is going to be like!

I'll keep the piccies to a minimum, simply because they tend to slow my enthusiasm!

Cheers

H.

I know what you mean about the photos slowing you down. I'm always amazed how much more productive I am when I'm not in a bunch of GBs.

No need to document every piece you glue on, if you can just get each major stage that is fine.

I've got an old Microscale set for a 1/72 Whidbey Island HH-46 which was one of the ideas I had been considering for this GB.

I was not going to do that! but however, I needed a kit for clubnight, so dragged it outta the stash. Miiiiiight throw in a tad of Eduard in the front office, if it feels right, all doors closed, and easy, slap together just to get another one finished!

The academy sets are easy to build, so we'll see what progress is going to be like!

I'll keep the piccies to a minimum, simply because they tend to slow my enthusiasm!

Cheers

H.

Never built one of these in 48th scale. must be a good size bird.

piccies as in Pictures or pieces/parts?

Edited by Wayne S

Wayne S: piccies as pictures!! hehe.

It has been assembled to most major form now, I'll see what I can do about pictures later.

Have some dayglo orange on it, now waiting to put on some engine gray, will happen today I believe! then clearcoat and decals. If I keep this up, I'll be as quick as Phantom!

Anyways, the HH-46 is longer than the sea king with the rotors spread (the sea king is folded) so it is not a terribly large machine!

Have a 1/72nd Hobbycraft in the stash somewhere, that got the SuperScale treatment, never did complete it, and it is 2500 miles away now!

Cheers

H.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the machine is out of the paintshop, however there is need for some 'touch-ups' on variosu portions of international orange, as I STILL have not learnt the lesson on priming the model first... Anywhoo, it looks stunning, and will be even better when I can throw some more colors and touch it up. Then it'll be decal and detail time! antennas and wheels here we come!

Did get bogged down tho, as I suddenly did my CH-118, and Phantom made me buy a OH-6A at the show, and now I am making a totally unrelated USNTPS OH-6A just 'cause!!

Cheers

H.

Started the touch ups yesterday, and I am really looking forward to throwing some more of the "international orange" so that I can clearcoat and decal this sucker!! I really like the orange and engine gray colors!

Cheers

H.

Nice chopper!! Just curious. What is the meaning of the yellow lines on the rear part?

Primož

If your talking about the ones I think you are. Those vertical lines are pointing to the steps locations.

This is a F-15, it is pretty much the same idea.

C6.jpg

Edited by Wayne S
If your talking about the ones I think you are. Those vertical lines are pointing to the steps locations.

This is a F-15, it is pretty much the same idea.

C6.jpg

Thank's for your explanation!

Primož

• 2 weeks later...

As one of my friends used to call them, he's by the way a very experienced pilot who amongst other machines have flown the canadian equivalent, the Voyageur.

SO the kit:

Academy HH-46 D, Kit decals, Eduard Zoom interior.

Some flaws, the Mr. Solution and Mr. Setter were too strong and left CRATERS under the decals, much to my chagrin, and the decals did not want to "snuggle" properly. On the other hand, if you disregard those little things, and the fact that the APU exhaust is still in the tweezers on my workbench, it did not turn out half bad.

I chose to do the exhaust mostly black this time, but miiiiiight be convinced to change it at a later stage.

Colors used: Orange, mix of red and orange from Vallejo

Gray (16061) from Gunze Aqueous acryllics

black also gunze.

Weathering: Mig Pigments wash (dark) and closs/flat coats by Testors acryllics.

Cheers and be gentle, but constructive criticism is welcome (promise I won't cry)

H.

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

Together with his friend the Labrador on the shelf!

IMG_4063.jpg

Together with his friend the Labrador on the shelf!

IMG_4063.jpg

Really good work! Are those 1/48? If so which kit did you use for the lab and where did you get those decal? And how did you make that spot light. Wow. Wonderful craftmanship!

:thumbsup: