I didn't realise that so much time had passed since I signed up for this build and that I hadn't posted anything yet - partly busy and prtly because when I did get something done my camera went on the blink!

Anyway here's what I have so far. I'm building two Academy 1/48th kits, one with an Eduard p/e set, one with an Aires cockpit and both with Quickboost nose cones. Firstly the kit enough to say that is is difficult - there are not only large gaps in the fit of the parts but the steps which appear, if scaled up to full size would be impossible to climb. A lot of work is needed here. As for the comparison between Eduard and Aires: Eduard is simpler but the side panels do look a bit flat (as they indeed are), Aires is for the masochists. After seeing the interior photos on the link I was given here I decided to change my mind and open the panels. I did not make the mistake of cutting to the panel lines but used the p/e panel as a template. However when I fitted the resin cockpit I discovered that Aires compartment behind the panel is not in the same location and not the same size as the panel! The resin part itself takes endless sanding and fitting to get it seated in place and I was tempted more than once to give it all up. Anyway here are a couple of photos showing were I've got to so far. I hope to be able to move along a bit faster now.

Oops! I tried uploading the pics via photobucket and got a message saying that it's a banned site. Could someone advise me where to put my photos so that I can upload them to here?

Thanks.

Derek

DSCN3677.jpg

DSCN3676.jpg

The kits are pretty much assembled with the elevators and rudders left off so as not to knock them off during filling and sanding etc. The wings and the undersides have been sprayed with Mr. surfacer 1200 which went on very well (it's the first time I tried it). I hope to get the canopies on and the base coating completed this week-end so - watch this space!

Nice!

So, Aires is nicer, but brutal to install? Is either worth using if the canopy is closed?

I won't be able to tell until I finish painting as my canopies are already masked. I'm going to try to moumt the canopies open but during dry fitting I didnt really find a way to do it so that they wouldn't come off at the slightest touch. As to whether it is worth it? Well that depends on how much you would enjoy the work - I see from magazine articles etc where some detail interiors, even scratch build them which won't be seen at all later just to know "that it's there".

In the end, "you pays your money and you makes your choice".

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is now obvious that I am not going to complete these in time!! Anyhow here are some photos of were they're at so far and some comments about the build. I mentioned the kit itself and the aftermarket items (Aires and Eduard) previously so now something about the decals:

The Linden Hill sheets for the "Swifts"fit pretty well and go on fairly easily but are rather thick and take a lot of convincing to settle down. The major problem is that the paint color they recceommend for the red (and the whole underside needs to be painted) does not match the red of the decals. As I had already sprayed the undersides I set about "fixing" the decals. First I masked the lower portion of the fins and sprayed the tops. This worked pretty well. Then I got the bright idea of masking and spraying the decal sheet - not a good idea! I forgot the clear strip round the decal! In the end I cut off the red part, applied the rest of the decal, coated with Future, masked and sprayed the red. When I took off the masking - disaster! A part of the decal pulled away with the mask so I now have a bird with a "clipped" left wing. Fortunately Linden supply some extra strips of color so I hope there will be enough to make repairs.

Cutting Edge Farewell sheet: These are thinner than the Swifts and settle down well. A large mask is supplied (see the photo) and the instructions are to paint the plane white, mask then spray the camoflage greys.I thought that this would leave a white lining round the decal but no, the decal is the size of the mask and the white is a backing for the blue and red which are a bit translucent. Also the mask is not exactly the same shape as the decal leaving a bit of work to be done to add the white surround. I'm going to try to use an old draftsmens pen (the kind where you can adjust the thickness of the line) and hope for a steady hand (no beers before attempting this).

So to sum up a fairly long story: The kit has fit problems, the aftermarket items too, particularly the Aires, the decals leave you with quite a bit of touching up to do (which I have'nt got round to yet BUT boy, are'nt they BEAUTIFUL birds? That, in my case, makes the hassle worth while. For you all - well "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

While I'm at it, thanks to all of you who commented and provided info during the past months.

Cheers,

Derek

DSCN3719.jpg

Farewell USA

DSCN3720.jpg

Swifts

DSCN3721.jpg

Swifts interior

DSCN3723.jpg

Farewell without side panel

DSCN3693.jpg

Farewell mask