Ok, AFAIK there was a commonly used scheme for the SR-71 in the late 80's where all the markings were red, and the insignia (and possibly USAF) were "dashed-outlined" like you often see on the F-15. But I've only ever found drawings, decal diagrams, etc showing this. Never an actual photo of an "outlined" red insignia on an SR-71 wing. Do any pics exist? The only pics I've ever found that seem to be this scheme, are side-views in which only the small red serial number on the tail is visible---fuselage/wing markings are impossible to see.

Any pics that show the major "features" of the low-vis scheme are much appreciated. I think I've seen every pic at SR-71.org and Habu.org by now, but I didn't find any showing what I need.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Only 1 SR-71 ever carried the red outlined national insignia, and it was only for a very brief time. A/C 17973 was the first SR-71 to be painted in the low-vis paint scheme when it went through depot maintenance in Palmdale. When Lockheed painted the aircraft it carried national insignia on the fuselage and wings and also had a small 'USAF' above the tail number. When it was delivered to Beale, the commander hated the national insignia so he had it flown back to Palmdale to have it removed. There are photos of the aircraft right out of the paint shop, but I'll have to locate them.

Tony

Ok, AFAIK there was a commonly used scheme for the SR-71 in the late 80's where all the markings were red, and the insignia (and possibly USAF) were "dashed-outlined" like you often see on the F-15. But I've only ever found drawings, decal diagrams, etc showing this. Never an actual photo of an "outlined" red insignia on an SR-71 wing. Do any pics exist? The only pics I've ever found that seem to be this scheme, are side-views in which only the small red serial number on the tail is visible---fuselage/wing markings are impossible to see.

Any pics that show the major "features" of the low-vis scheme are much appreciated. I think I've seen every pic at SR-71.org and Habu.org by now, but I didn't find any showing what I need.

Airliners.net has some good photos

Airliners.net 1

Airliners.net 2

Ariliners.net 3

Airliners.net 4

Airliners.net 5

Just do a photo search on "SR-71A"

Regards,

Bruce

Only 1 SR-71 ever carried the red outlined national insignia, and it was only for a very brief time. A/C 17973 was the first SR-71 to be painted in the low-vis paint scheme when it went through depot maintenance in Palmdale.

That would explain why I've never found a pic! Thanks. Hmmn, so that would mean the official schematic for the low-vis scheme is wrong for most of the fleet. Did the other low-vis planes have full-color insignia on the wings?

Nope, only 973 carried any low vis insignia. The rest of the fleet only carried a tail number and access panel stencils. The stenciling guides, which can be downloaded here:

www.edwardsflighttest.com/pics/4AQ2251.pdf

www.edwardsflighttest.com/pics/4AQ351.pdf

www.edwardsflighttest.com/pics/6AQ97.pdf

were done before the decision to remove the insignia. Here's some pics of 973 right out of the paint barn at Palmdale.

973_1.jpg

973_2.jpg

973_3.jpg

Hope these are what you were looking for.

Tony

That would explain why I've never found a pic! Thanks. Hmmn, so that would mean the official schematic for the low-vis scheme is wrong for most of the fleet. Did the other low-vis planes have full-color insignia on the wings?

Good question... I was told many years back that they did put the insignia on the wing, but I just double-checked with a friend who was there at the time and he tells me that they only applied the insignia to the fuselage. The full story goes, it was Tom Pugh, Wing Commander at Beale at the time, requested the low-vis paint scheme but when they saw the subdued star they thought it made it look like a Russian aircraft and to get it off of there ASAP. The repaint was actually done at Beale and not Palmdale as I originally posted. The only aircraft that were not given the subdued scheme were the non-flyable 'parts' birds and the SR-71B and C since they were never deployed.

Tony

Thanks for those photos of 17973. That is the first time that I have seen any photos of that red dashed star. Do you know if she carried that style insignia on the wings as well?

Darwin