Academy Su-27S 1/48 - Eritrean splinter "608"

208 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stretch this Academy Flanker to proper length, if you could?

• Yes, I want an accurate model in scale
    • No, it's a small error - only 3.5% in length

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup:Aw, my God...???!!!

supergru, mate, ya really want us still buildin' our kits here, don't ya...? :yahoo: This is sumthin' I wish I could do to just any kit which I get hold of. Especially having those reliable plans to work on. Anythin' about them, mate?

Rear canopy cannot be closed properly anymore, due to pins added to the front canopy.

Oh, excuse me, but I didn't get that. Whut do ya mean the canopy can't be closed due to pins added to the windshield? Whut pins?

Since intakes inside is not so presentable, I decided to make intake covers ... First I lowered the supersonic shockwave ramp ...

Heh! Ya're jokin,' right? With yer expertise, one would have as well expected ya to replicate those intake suckers with thin plastic sheet to conceal plastic reinforcements within... Piece of cake for ya, ain't it? ;)

There is still no accurate Flanker kit IN ANY SCALE. (Ken)

Hmph... lately, and in all honesty, I use to think there is no accurate KIT in any scale ya could talk about, Ken. :explode: This is why is so good when ya come across a madman who decides to take such a darn plunge in the name of plastic modellin'!

Real appreciate yer effort, supergru, mate! :P

• 1 month later...

BUMParoo... :cheers: Why hasn't me seen any more progress on this magnificent build, supergru, bloke? Me's gotten to go all the way down to page 16 to rescue this one, y'know. I went all the way down, mate. Whut is it, chapster? Is it perhaps 'cause Ken called ya superguru...? :woot.gif:

Hope to hear 'bout ya any sooner than tomorrow, mate. Ya hear...??? :thumbsup: Take care!

Onkel Dünkelgraü

supergru, mate, ya really want us still buildin' our kits here, don't ya...? :wub: This is sumthin' I wish I could do to just any kit which I get hold of. Especially having those reliable plans to work on. Anythin' about them, mate?

Oh, excuse me, but I didn't get that. Whut do ya mean the canopy can't be closed due to pins added to the windshield? Whut pins?

This is why is so good when ya come across a madman who decides to take such a darn plunge in the name of plastic modellin'!

Real appreciate yer effort, supergru, mate!

I mean these pins ... [LINK]

BUMParoo... :yahoo: Why hasn't me seen any more progress on this magnificent build, supergru, bloke? Me's gotten to go all the way down to page 16 to rescue this one, y'know. I went all the way down, mate. Whut is it, chapster? Is it perhaps 'cause Ken called ya superguru...? :P

Hope to hear 'bout ya any sooner than tomorrow, mate. Ya hear...??? :wub: Take care!

Onkel Dünkelgraü

Hey, Onkel Cracker ... You make me laugh everytime ...

Why isn't there any update? Well, I wondered myself ... Check, check... Oh, here is my little Flankersten ... Nice little Flankerstein .. Behave! BEHAVE!!! Flank...

[total silence] :yahoo:

I got stucked in the front wheelbay...

I want to add stripes (about 4-5 mm)

+ battery niche

+ deepen front part, where the wheel comes, once retracted

+ some details to be added, in combination with Eduard's PE sheet, and PE sheet from Academy

For all of this, it's sometimes better to work when the fuselage is separated, sometimes when it's already glued, ... The fuselage is already in a transition to become a nose cone (little space) and ... There's this Aires thub to come above all, for which I don't know if there's going to be ANY SPACE LEFT ...

Yes, I started cutting the front wheelbay back in April, but I ended up with this ... No comment needed ...

DSC01766.jpg

All-in-all I got tired a bit, so I took another project to keep me buisy. I would also like you to keep in mind two things:

-first I'm a returnee, meaning I have no idea how to make anything decent, like the Su27 Aires cockpit - this is something that most of you out there can do blindfolded ...

-second, a year ago (last week in June) I started my first project after the big break (A310), and it's still being primed. I would like to finish it finally, but this painting & weathering stuff is my Achilles heel -it's killing me. Maybe you could check A310 WIP and see what I made from main gear legs... I know you all aren't so IN with the airliners, but you could imagine what I'm about to make with the legs and wheelbays on Su-27.

So, I have 3 unfinished models at this moment (A310, A340 & Su-27). I think I'll have something for you all on Monday, Tuesday regarding Flanker...

As for drawings ... They aren't accurate 100 %... And as I already said, don't blame me for anything - you all have a possibility to finish your Flankers without them. Plan was (and still is) to present the drawings, once this whole surgery is finished...

thats an amazing cut & shut job..... makes my "oh I'll add a couple of wires to the engine and drill the holes out on the tail-wheel" look childs-play (mind I am toying with cutting the tail wheel support apart as in the real thing it is a 4 piece rather than a solid block (thats on the Hellcat of course).......

Hi there, supergru, mate! :wave: Thankies a lot 'bout havin' explained those pins to me. Me thinks yer build's gonna be better off with an open canopy anyways, yes? yes? yes? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss...???

Hey, Onkel Cracker ... You make me laugh everytime ...

Well, that's the idea, mate! Me's sorta the comedy bloke on this forum, y'know... :P Otherwise, me's afraid I'd be way much TOO uncool, aye?

Why isn't there any update? Well, I wondered myself ... Check, check... Oh, here is my little Flankersten ... Nice little Flankerstein .. Behave! BEHAVE!!! Flank...

I got stucked in the front wheelbay...

:) Careful with that, chap! Look whut it happened HERE to this poor Green Shirt for havin' got stucked in the front wheelbay... that oughta have been a tad painful, don't ya think? Musta been like enterin' the washin' machine while the tumble dry was on... (uh-oh, somehow now me knows one day I'll attempt to do that, by the way).

Uh-uh-uh... the word "Flankersten" pretty much sounds to me as the name for a dessert had by the whole German soccer representative the night before the match against Serbia for the Fifa World Cup played today. Now, "Flankerstein" sounds to me like the Jewish 'kosher' version of that very same dessert. :rofl: Incidentally, does Israel play the Fifa World Cup in Seffrica?

Me's BEHELD how nice yer Flank BEHAVES, supergru, mate! ^_^ Very noooiiiceee, mista.

For all of this, it's sometimes better to work when the fuselage is separated, sometimes when it's already glued, ... The fuselage is already in a transition to become a nose cone (little space) and ... There's this Aires thub to come above all, for which I don't know if there's going to be ANY SPACE LEFT ...

Yes, I started cutting the front wheelbay back in April, but I ended up with this ... No comment needed ...

In all seriousness now; the nose wheel bay on the Academy Flank almost yells in yer face to be deepened 'n' detailed the minute ya take a peek at it with one eye closed. I know ya'll manage to get the Aires tub to fit while havin' the nose wheel bay decently corrected as well. We've all got faith on ya, mate. High hopes on ya, bloke.

All-in-all I got tired a bit, so I took another project to keep me buisy. I would also like you to keep in mind two things:

-first I'm a returnee, meaning I have no idea how to make anything decent, like the Su27 Aires cockpit - this is something that most of you out there can do blindfolded ...

Yeh, me understands; ask my Monogram 1/48th scale B-29 Kee Bird project about me and she shall answer "WHO...???!!!" back to ya. Me's been procrastinatin' on the bloody beast since I started buildin' her, but it doesn't mean I ain't gonna finish her, y'know. Just tryin' to get inspiration so as to build a model I can be proud of one day. Foilin' the beast with kitchen aluminium foil is beyond tiresome; the day she's finally done I'll be able to use her as a mirror to shave in front of.

Aw, get outta here, lad! Me won't buy yer returnee bollocks for a split second, mate. Not only have ya showed us all how bloody skilled ya are, but also ya demonstrated yer balls are made of solid brass for havin' done sumthin' as this! Besides, blindfolded I'll run into the only wall in a parking lot - me fears.

As for drawings ... They aren't accurate 100 %... And as I already said, don't blame me for anything - you all have a possibility to finish your Flankers without them. Plan was (and still is) to present the drawings, once this whole surgery is finished...

Oh? Awlrighty then. Fair enough; me waits. I fully trust those plans, mate. Come to think of it, no plans must be 100% accurate at all.

Gonna lay off the pressure on ya now, supergru, bloke. Have a nice weekend. Lookin' forward for those pics on Monday, though.

Cheers, mate!

Onkel Dönkeygreen

Gonna lay off the pressure on ya now, supergru, bloke. Have a nice weekend. Lookin' forward for those pics on Monday, though.

Onkel Dönkeygreen

Yeah, you did it ... And I worked hard on Friday evening, whole Saturday and Sunday, just for you. So, now you (all) have something to think of it ...

I'll get right to the problem I have - later I'll explain everything ...

THE INTERFERENCE BETWEEN AIRES COCKPIT AND FRONT WHEELBAY ...

I've already cut everything down, thinned everything down ... Can't get that tube raised enough (high enough) into the Academy fuselage ..

IMG_8035_2.jpg

Front wheelbay was lengthen for 4 mm, as on drawings... Wheelbay cover has been lengthen for 4 mm, too.

Clipboard01-1.jpg

IMG_8038_2.jpg

Those 4 mm interference come nice for battery niche ...By the way, this is the battery niche now, in it's 4th or 5th edition ... I way thinking of putting some letters in Russian on the battery but I don't have any small black Cyrillic letters ...

IMG_8043_2.jpg

THE IDEA: smooth Academy cockpit sidewalls and "copy" everything from Aires sidewalls with wire and styrene, so I won't need those from Aires anymore. This should give some space to position the tube in the right place, as high as possible.

Next: cut wheelbay cover back to original length, so that in the end the battery niche would be moved 4 mm back to the tail ...

I've spend the whole weekend on cutting and filling and glueing (some details to follow), so I'm already thinking of jumping into that A-6 inlet from Uncle Uncool's link... :deadhorse1:

While you all read this and think about it, I will put some more pics what happened thruout the weekend in the next posts ...

Yeah, you did it ... And I worked hard on Friday evening, whole Saturday and Sunday, just for you. So, now you (all) have something to think of it ...

:woot.gif:Whoa...!!! I really appreciate yer effort, supergru, mate! :thumbsup: My mum's here; she's got a degree in Aeronautical Engineering at the Buenos Aires Institute of Technology (ITBA). She says hi, and also that ya haven't come this far to let a 4mm interference thwart yer work, have ya? My mum doesn't know how to set the clock on her DVD, but sometimes she's got wise ideas about my aircraft builds, lemme tell ya.

Those 4 mm interference come nice for battery niche

Off the top of my mum's skull, and in order to make her point, she took the liberty to edit one of the pictures ya just posted. This is whut she proposes:

Clipboard01-1.jpg

Whut d'ya think, mate? Me agrees with her that it could work. Oh, my mum's highly impressed by yer work, by the way.

I've spend the whole weekend on cutting and filling and glueing (some details to follow), so I'm already thinking of jumping into that A-6 inlet from Uncle Uncool's link... :cheers:

Aw, bloke... :rolleyes: if ya're gonna really do that, better come over here so that we both go jump into the industrial size washin' m'chine in our apartment building while it's on the tumble dry cycle. Ya're gonna save a lot of money than to try for the Yanks to let ya come closer enough to jump into the intakes of one of their intruders on the deck.

Keep it comin,' chap! :worship:

Unc²

@ Uncle Uncool - thank you and your mother for prompt reaction, as I will comment it back later - from some 100-150 viewers in past 12 hours, there's only one comment - yours. :worship:

I will try to think something out today, since I'm away for this whole week, and in the meantime enjoy some details, made this weekend.

First, some smaller and bigger stuff ... Like the outer port frame for main wheelbay, which was cut out by mistake ...

th_IMG_8034_2.jpg th_IMG_8040_2.jpg

Small detail from the battery: wire wrapped with narrow Tamiya tape (0,5 mm) and covered with CA glue - it looks like a nice juicy worm ...

th_IMG_8028_2.jpg

Upper fuselage half was cleared from plasticine and surplus styrene - only outer shell is left now - no more cutting ! @ Uncle Uncool's mother: you couldn't know this before ... But as I said, I will come back to this later in the day ...

th_IMG_8033_2.jpg

Next is the front wheelbay cover ... Since the fuselage had to be lengthen in this area for 4 mm, I needed to lengthen the cover, too... But in my memory was that there are many details which would be lost in filling-sanding session... So I took the original to look at it closer, and there was the answer: there's so many sink marks and molding pins, which I would loose anyway ... This was "GO" for cutting ... Details were copied onto a thin metal plate with rubber file handle ... Next was cutting and adding 4 mm wide 1 mm thick styrene insert... Although I used CA glue and styrene was bent under hot water, I still didn't get smooth transition from original Academy plastic onto the styrene and back ... This is one of the reasons to go back to the original length ...

th_IMG_8003_2.jpg th_IMG_8012_2.jpg th_IMG_8022_2.jpg

Hinges were also replaced with ones from Eduard, but I didn't just fold them, I glue them onto a styrene sheet to have some volume ... When comparing to the originals and photos, its obvious that Eduard's are better, but I still left some styrene on the fuselage side. New ones need to be glued at higher angle, to overcome their size... The middle one needs to be aligned according to the actuator position in the wheelbay ... Last step would be to cut metal plate apart, add another 4 mm metal insert and reconstruct all the details prior to glueing ...

th_IMG_8016_2.jpg th_IMG_8023_2.jpg th_IMG_8019_2.jpg th_IMG_8048_2.jpg

Last one is the wheelbay itself: Rear part was chamfed so heavy that the hole for front leg break apart ... Now I know that this is a 1/4 of sphere but this was easier to rebuild ...I don't know how exactly the middle portion looks like (where the actuator comes) - have some pics but I still can't figure it out ....Front part is deepen ans lengthen with 0,5 mm styrene - when looked from front it is half ellipse and not half circle ... It has been filled and sanded 5-10 times, and now I had to cut it back 'cause of Aires tube above it.

th_DSC01799_2.jpg th_IMG_8004_2.jpg th_IMG_8006_2.jpg th_IMG_8008_2.jpg th_IMG_8045_2.jpg

@ Uncle Uncool - thank you and your mother for prompt reaction, as I will comment it back later - from some 100-150 viewers in past 12 hours, there's only one comment - yours. :salute:

Oh, supergru, mate; don't even mention it; (my mum and) I'm the one who's got to be thankful to ya for havin' come up with such an impressive task. It might be that people viewing yer work haven't got the time to post anythin;' there are a handful of builds here on ARC that I use to "rescue" from deep oblivion, from time to time, when I didn't see progress on them. Yers is surely one of them, and lately I had been wondering whut was of it.

It's awesome the work ya've done so far that I'm considerin' doin' the same to my Academy kit in the near future. Yer work is of great inspiration for many modellers round on this forum, I guarantee ya that. Or ain't it so, blokes? :salute:

Cheers, mate!

Unc²

My mum's here; she's got a degree in Aeronautical Engineering at the Buenos Aires Institute of Technology (ITBA). She says hi, and also that ya haven't come this far to let a 4mm interference thwart yer work, have ya? My mum doesn't know how to set the clock on her DVD, but sometimes she's got wise ideas about my aircraft builds, lemme tell ya.

Hmm... Your mother helps you modeling?! You (I mean you and your mother) 're rockin' on modeling contests - I guess ... Like Batman & Robin ... :woo:

Why do you need me, then?

Off the top of my mum's skull, and in order to make her point, she took the liberty to edit one of the pictures ya just posted. This is whut she proposes:

Clipboard01-1.jpg

Whut d'ya think, mate? Me agrees with her that it could work. Oh, my mum's highly impressed by yer work, by the way.

This is only suggestion I got on two forums, besides mine, but I must say, after all those sawing I made, it's still too radical ...

From a colleague to a colleague:

Even if we would forget that I removed all alignment & support aids on upper fuselage half, this approach would need additional 2 cuts on upper side and 1 on lower side ... From past pics its obvious that even if I managed to saw fuselage apart, cut appropriate styrene sheet and glue everything back, it was far from perfect, so as someone suggested before, cuts need to be as less as possible ...

And then even if I managed to make a descent cut, neither cockpit nor front wheelbay would be in accordance to the drawings...

:( So, I sticked to mine... No cutting, and only beginning of wheelbay (when looked from nose) is not as per drawings ... It's still not finished but I overcame THE INTERFERENCE ... Pics to follow ...

I asked Linden Hill when those decals for Ukrainian Su-27 will be available - Q4 2010!!! :monkeydance:

Unofficial agreement within "Flanker GB" on our local forum is to present our work on a local modeling cup, which would be held on September 11th, 2010, so this would be the end of GB, too.

So, now I have two possibilities: to push this built and finish it in time, but as Eritrean 608/609 splinter - this would include either Hi Decal Line 48-022 or Begemot 48-004 sheet - I have none of them, still....or to wait for Linden Hill and work on other projects ... Third possibility to make my own decals, with help of Linden Hill's sheet in 1/32 scale would take me some time, and then I still wouldn't finish it 'till 09-11. What do you think?

Anyway, tonight I'm supporting Argentina in match vs. Greece ! Match starts in 5 mins ... Oh, by the way, I have Master degree in aerospace engineering (MAE) from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture (FSB Zagreb) :P

th_IMG_8059.jpg th_IMG_8060.jpg th_IMG_8061.jpg th_IMG_8062.jpg th_IMG_8063.jpg

I've penetrated into the cockpit while removing excess resin ... But it won't be visible, once K-36 seat is in place ... Only the pilot will have natural aircon ... Or something like McLaren F1 drivers do with their knees to boost back spoiler performance ... Aires tube is visible from front wheelbay, but it will be covered with the battery niche

th_IMG_8064.jpg th_IMG_8066.jpg th_IMG_8067.jpg th_IMG_8068.jpg th_IMG_8069.jpg