Academy Su-27S 1/48 - Eritrean splinter "608"

208 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stretch this Academy Flanker to proper length, if you could?

• Yes, I want an accurate model in scale
    • No, it's a small error - only 3.5% in length

...What can I say??? what can I say???...my "project" is only ...maybe 1%...difficult as yours and already has cost me 1bottle of Johny Walker...20packs of cigarets...and definetly I am goinng to hell after all the swearing I used in order to proceed with my "work"...Tell me something...honestly what do you take supergru????

...In a serious note...I am speechless with your work and I am not embarised to admit I try to copy you wherever I can..Keep going...

Did Viking Lady lost her faith upon me, working on Flankerstein, or did she lost hope on her son, working on his Academy Flanker? I'm still waiting for her posts here ...

Well, Viking Lady certainly lost her faith in her son a looooooooooooong time ago; hence, transitively, my workin' on my own Flankerstein could have ne'er been a matter of faith to her. :D However; Viking Lady wants to work on a Flankerstein herself, she oughta first get her own Academy Su-27 kit. She comes close to my stash, I'll tackle her down to the ground ala Rodney So'oialo... <_<

Did you get that saw already, man???

Nay yet, matey, yeh. No such luck; Val's brought me DMold's 1/48 F-105D forward fuselage correction for the Monogram Thuds, 1/48 FB-111A Triple Plow II profiled intakes, plus a bottle of Mona Lisa Metal Leaf adhesive size from her tour in the States, but nuthin' 'bout the Tamiya saw. Wanna trade, Tomi?

...thank you Uncle Uncool and Zark for those kind words, I really appreciate this - I don't expect from anybody reading Flankerstein WIP to do something like me, but I just couldn't go over some stuff on Academy Flankers,

Aw, don't even mention it, T-bloke... :thumbsup: I haven't ever been one who's too keen on polishin' anyone's knobs; me thinks I've always been the other way round, so if I say sumthin' good 'bout a project it's only 'cause I'm truly impressed. And yer project is real sumthin,' sincerely.

Anyway, I think you should stop commenting other Flankers WIP in 1/48 and start your own, how 'bout that? Just PM me prior cutting wings, to give you a hint-or-two to avoid some problems and to ease you future reassembly ...

Believe me I real want to, but that won't happen 'til I get all the required tools for the task. The Tamiya saw - or any other saw with the proper blade height - is more than a must to a Flankerstein project; I'm still missin' the thick styrene stock I need, Quickboost resin nose, some Milliput 'n' perhaps a bottle or two of Mr Surfacer 1200.

Yes, this could be done, and I know someone did it here on ARC...

:worship: Really? Noice...!!! Then the lil' teaser do have a spark up her roof from time to time after all... 'n' there's no way she could have found out 'bout someone doin' it on ARC before; that's almost guaranteed! Sometimes I worry so much 'bout the critter's future when I'm not around, y'know.

OK??? Drop an eye on the following illustration - if you remove sidewalls on the canopy (red line) the maximum height that you would get is "A", and let's say that "B" is space between top point of existing canopy and the desired canopy ...

Me doesn't get it; whut removin' the canopy sidewalls for if ya need to raise its height? Wouldn't that lower the canopy height instead? If I had the same problem as ya've got, I think I'd add the required sheet stock at the base under the windshield 'til I reached the desire height on the drawing profile; then I'd simply display an open canopy. Ya see? Even my cute 5-year-old female yellow lab, Thorax, nods agreement to me.

I want Viking Lady here on ARC !!!!

Me fears the Viking Lady is off in Kristiansand; she's at odds with me 'bout an issue regardin' my siblings - sumthin' I told ya 'bout on one of my mails. Me thinks she's too lenient towards the girls, y'know. Not the oldest one of the Viking Lady's offsprings, but I'm only the one currently performin' the watchdog role whenever there's trouble. Yeh, me's such a good brutha...

I just checked 15°17'43.88" N 38°55'0.90" E at Google Earth ... Ok, footage is dated at April 12th, 2009, but what the heck, one is still out there !

Oh...? Say whut? Ya've just lost me there, mate; are those the coordinates to the lil' teaser's house or sumthin,' Tomi? :cheers: Ya watchin' over her from yer own satellite? New Satellite Blues...

NEW SATELLITE BLUES...!!! ACDC20Gif2007.gif

Aw, bloody Halloween! Someone's at the door once again, 'n' it's likely it's bashin' time, so me's gota go, Tomi. Catch ya on the flipside, mate, aye?

Cheers,

Unc²

Tomi, bloke...??? :D

Where the "hectors" are ya, chap? It's barely ten to nine on a Saturday evenin' 'n' look whut the lil' teaser brought "them" to dinner...

Teasernmate.jpg:rofl:Hoooowwwls...!!!

Me thinks I'm in luv! :tumble: She asked me to show her my assembled kits 'n' all...!!! Awlright; think she's just tryin' to make conversation, aye?

Please don't take too long, mate

Cheers,

Unc²

...What can I say??? what can I say???...my "project" is only ...maybe 1%...difficult as yours and already has cost me 1bottle of Johny Walker...20packs of cigarets...and definetly I am goinng to hell after all the swearing I used in order to proceed with my "work"...Tell me something...honestly what do you take supergru????

...In a serious note...I am speechless with your work and I am not embarised to admit I try to copy you wherever I can..Keep going...

Nope, your project should be 50 % of mine, since I don't need TVC nozzles ... I'm just waiting for them to pop up on your WIP. I hope you won't disappoint me :thumbsup:

I don't drink and don't smoke either, but I read and watch everything that me or someone else posted in my WIP threads, over and over again... Just go to 1st post, and see what was my starting point and what was (and still is) my goal ... At least my WIPs are well documented... So, yes I need those comments, from you all, and I mean it ! Remember, this is a hobby, chill and relax,... For the last year and a half I'm working on 4 models, and none of them is in finish lane ... All of my work is based on trials and errors, which means next time it will be better, faster, shinier, etc..

Well, Viking Lady certainly lost her faith in her son a looooooooooooong time ago; hence, transitively, my workin' on my own Flankerstein could have ne'er been a matter of faith to her. However; Viking Lady wants to work on a Flankerstein herself, she oughta first get her own Academy Su-27 kit. She comes close to my stash, I'll tackle her down to the ground ala Rodney So'oialo...

Me fears the Viking Lady is off in Kristiansand; she's at odds with me 'bout an issue regardin' my siblings - sumthin' I told ya 'bout on one of my mails. Me thinks she's too lenient towards the girls, y'know. Not the oldest one of the Viking Lady's offsprings, but I'm only the one currently performin' the watchdog role whenever there's trouble. Yeh, me's such a good brutha...

Kristiansand, as in Norway ??? :jaw-dropping: What the heck is she doing there? Searching for Valhalla ??? If she wants Academy Flanker and a saw, she could come to me ... I would give her mine, for free .. Okay, maybe some small talk would follow... As one aerospace engineer to another, of course...

Then the lil' teaser do have a spark up her roof from time to time after all... 'n' there's no way she could have found out 'bout someone doin' it on ARC before; that's almost guaranteed! Sometimes I worry so much 'bout the critter's future when I'm not around, y'know.

Robban75 did it on his/hers Academy Flanker (linky), as well as proper stretching ... I tried to contact him/her but without success - last seen here in March 2010. No more pics, but as far as I can remember, he/she cut upper half in the airbrake area and two times on lower fuselage, around intakes (or vice-versa), wings were stretched and canopy got a higher end point ... Sadly, we never saw that Flanker finished ...

Oh...? Say whut? Ya've just lost me there, mate; are those the coordinates to the lil' teaser's house or sumthin,' Tomi? Catch ya on the flipside, mate, aye?

This is your homework: post a printscreen from Google Earth at those coordinates... This will show that you know how to use Google Earth ... :thumbsup:

How come you know where your mother is, but you don't know where are the Flankers ?

Me doesn't get it; whut removin' the canopy sidewalls for if ya need to raise its height? Wouldn't that lower the canopy height instead? If I had the same problem as ya've got, I think I'd add the required sheet stock at the base under the windshield 'til I reached the desire height on the drawing profile; then I'd simply display an open canopy. Ya see? Even my cute 5-year-old female yellow lab, Thorax, nods agreement to me.

I would remove "triangles" closed by that red line by sanding them away, then I would glue strips underneath the frame 'till I get proper height... "Triangles" would be rebuilt with strips or epoxy putty having same shape, as before ... Problem is that do you have enough "clear" meat at all points thru the windshield and canopy...

Again, while A > B everything is fine ...

811_01.jpg

If A < B, at any point, you have a headache ...

811_02.jpg

Another thing is that I lengthen rear half cone, behind the canopy for 3-4 mm... This resulted as a cracked line, in a sideview ... Let's say red lines are Academy kit, and black line represents new cone in sideview ... Tip of the arrow head shows the point at which you no longer have a smooth line, rather two, cracked ...

811_03.jpg

This means I need to raise both canopy end and start of rear cone to get it right ( that point of break needs to be higher) ... A this moment putty is dried, so I need to sand it - I can't give you pictures yet ...

I just hope Viking Lady will be back soon, so she can explain it to you .... :pray:

For me it looks like I'm drawing a picture book for 3-year-old kid...

Tomi, bloke...??? Where the "[hectors" are ya, chap? It's barely ten to nine on a Saturday evenin' 'n' look whut the lil' teaser brought "them" to dinner...

Me thinks I'm in luv! :lol: She asked me to show her my assembled kits 'n' all...!!! Awlright; think she's just tryin' to make conversation, aye?

Please don't take too long, mate

I can see how that ended up ...

She:"You're modeling? Can you show me something?"

You:"I would like to show you my finished models, but I haven't any here"

She:"How come? You're so good, you're selling 'em or what?"

You:"Actually, I 'm training rugby"

She:"Changing conversation... ?!"

Astrid:"No, he's training rugby with his finished models..."

She:???

Astrid:" Yeah, he's smashing them into the wall, to see if they really fly"

She:??????????????

Astrid:" Yes, and then his mother, who's by the way an aerospace engineer, enters the room, gives him a big hug, and picks up the trashed kit"

Or did you just show her this WIP, and said that's mine Flanker ...

How do you expect from me to model, when I need to explain you every tiny bit, like I'm writing a novel ...

Be patient and do your homework !

Kristiansand, as in Norway ??? What the heck is she doing there? Searching for Valhalla ??? If she wants Academy Flanker and a saw, she could come to me ... I would give her mine, for free .. Okay, maybe some small talk would follow... As one aerospace engineer to another, of course...

Yeh, Kristiansand - Norseland. Hmph, more like the Viking Lady is searchin' for Jeka :cheers: - prayin' so that Odin aims better his lightnings towards me. I learnt the Viking Lady is longin' to do a Monogram 1/48 B-58 Hustler with its four engines in overhaul, so if ya've got one of those kits, at a price, I'll gladly direct her to ya. Told ya that yer disappearance from the ARC forum some time ago made her forget 'bout the Flankerstein. But not me, y'know.

Robban75 did it on his/hers Academy Flanker (linky), as well as proper stretching ... I tried to contact him/her but without success - last seen here in March 2010. No more pics, but as far as I can remember, he/she cut upper half in the airbrake area and two times on lower fuselage, around intakes (or vice-versa), wings were stretched and canopy got a higher end point ... Sadly, we never saw that Flanker finished ...

:whistle:Bummer...!!! Just checked out that link, 'n' me's afraid the photos are all long gone. As far as I read, Robbie made only one cut where the airbrake ends; another cut on the tail 'n' yet some other cut on the nose? That's how Robbster said to have gained 1 centimetre in lenght on his Flankerstein...? Have ya got any of Robbie's pictures posted on that thread by chance, Tomi?

This is your homework: post a printscreen from Google Earth at those coordinates... This will show that you know how to use Google Earth ...

How come you know where your mother is, but you don't know where are the Flankers ?

Nah, I refuse to go to bloody Google Earth, 'n' that's that; ya hear? I don't wish to download a f*ckin' useless programme - Ya see, I won't trust any unnecessary downloads which slyly install all kinds of spyware garbage in yer system order to work properly. Google Earth is just for the bored 'n' nosey arseholes who care 'bout seein' the world that way; I don't care 'bout that, 'n' I'll give less than half a rat's arse not to know how to use that lousy programme.

For yer information, I only know where the Viking Lady is just 'cause her guilt makes her tell me where she's at or whut she's doin' in there, even though she knows perfectly well I can live without knowin' it. The day she remembers not tellin' me anythin' 'bout her whereabouts or her deeds is most probably the day I'll be happy to remind her that she's got two daughters who need her. I ain't goin' to be round for 'em for eva, y'know...

I would remove "triangles" closed by that red line by sanding them away, then I would glue strips underneath the frame 'till I get proper height... "Triangles" would be rebuilt with strips or epoxy putty having same shape, as before ... Problem is that do you have enough "clear" meat at all points thru the windshield and canopy...

Again, while A > B everything is fine ...

Another thing is that I lengthen rear half cone, behind the canopy for 3-4 mm... This resulted as a cracked line, in a sideview ... Let's say red lines are Academy kit, and black line represents new cone in sideview ... Tip of the arrow head shows the point at which you no longer have a smooth line, rather two, cracked ...

This means I need to raise both canopy end and start of rear cone to get it right ( that point of break needs to be higher) ... A this moment putty is dried, so I need to sand it - I can't give you pictures yet ...

I just hope Viking Lady will be back soon, so she can explain it to you ....

For me it looks like I'm drawing a picture book for 3-year-old kid...

:blink: Oh...??? talk 'bout that, Tomi; I've taken the liberty to send yer drawings of the canopy to the Viking Lady in Kristiansand, so that she'd kindly explain 'em to me. The reason I didn't get yer explanation - other than the terrible language barrier - was that me thought A 'n' B were two different canopies, as in A bein' the original Academy canopy 'n' B the new proposed vac-form one... :doh:

The Volcano Lady explained yer drawin' scheme to me; said ya oughta have made a shaded area on yer scheme indicatin' solid areas - also use the correct technical terminolgy so that arseholes like me would easily make out whut the bloody hell ya were referrin' to right from the start...

Incidentally; the Vesper Lady took the time to sketch a graphic over yer own scheme so that her blunt son would finally understand. As an added bonus to this, she asks why it is a problem if B gets over A when, at most, the only problem ya get would be thicker windshield/canopy sills, which will be almost imperceptible to the human eye.

811_01.jpg

I can see how that ended up ...

Oh, it ended up normally, as expected. "Guest Girl," Kathia, askin' all kinda silly questions 'bout modellin' just to make conversation... I real hate that, y'know. Then, after "Guest Girl" realised I could tell she didn't have the faintest idea whut she was askin' me 'bout, she finally showed her true colours...

Kathia: "You're modeling? Can you show me something?"

Me: "Hope it's not whut ya're lookin' at right now down my back, for I'm sorta shy bloke, y'know."

Kathia: "How come? To me ya come across as to be quite the other way round."

Me: "Well, appearances can get to be very deceptive at times."

Kathia: "Changing conversation...?!"

Astrid: "No, the objects in the rear view mirror, they appear closer than they are..."

Kathia: ???

Astrid: "Yeah, he knows my mates always use to make comments on his nice tush 'n' stuff."

Kathia: ??????????????

Astrid: "Yes, and then his mother, who's by the way an aerospace engineer, enters the room, gives him a big hug, 'n' says to him he took that arse after her; that he oughta be proud of that."

'N' off Guest Girl went in awe. Nice-lookin' sheila this Kathia, but she's the kind of shallow, clueless 'n' borin' little broken thing who bases her self-esteem on just how good she looks like, which is why she's mates with the lil' teaser. Besides, she frowned at the type of music I was listenin' to when she entered my lair.

By the way, the Victory Lady told me she's gonna be peepin' at yer Flankerstein build from Kristiansand, so please, have some updates available for the weekend. The Vindictive Lady is comin' back in November the 15th, 'n' she's already promised exertin' utter destruction upon me for havin' posted pictures of her beloved daughter, the lil' teaser.

Bring it on, muuuuuuuum...!!! :rofl: Me's postin' one more picture for good effect; just watch me do it:

BustedTeaser.jpg

Sooooo...??? How 'bout that one, Varsity Lady, huh? Don't ya fell the need o' returnin' back right away now...???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA...!!! Oh, me's such a bad son, aren't I...?

Cheers, Tomi!

Unc²

I don't have Robban's drawings, and even if I had them, they were on the bloody HDD, which is still offline. But I'm well assure that someone, from numerous viewers of this thread, still has 'em, so it would be excellent to share it with everybody, so we can continue the discussion.

Well Uncle, I don't have Monogram B-58, but i think 30 USD + shipping isn't a headache... Even this Academy Flanker in the same scale cost me about 50 USD. I won't ask why B-58, but did you try eBay? Quick search found a live auction (linky) I don't see why this would be a problem. Regarding Google, if you hate Google Earth, you still have Google Maps, so you didn't made your homework ...

I did mine, though ... You see, I'm modeling, besides Su-27, so maybe you and the Viking Lady could check my A310 WIP (linky). How about that?

Rear half cone is done. With extra caution while reshaping sills - thanks, Viking Lady, I learned a new word in English :jaw-dropping:

PB130140.jpg

PB130141.jpg

PB130142.jpg

PB130143.jpg

Now it looks like if I just moved it forwards ... But it got higher, too

PB130134.jpg

PB130137.jpg

PB130133.jpg

Next was balsa ...

PB130146.jpg

And I must admit, it looks very convincing ...

PB130149.jpg

And I still want Viking Lady here on ARC !!!

Hi Supegru,

I have question to ask you. But let me start with what my project is. I am butchering Zvezda SU-30 KN in order do get SU-30 MKI. Which needs to change nose (resin for Hasegawa works O.K.) rescribing panels, adding strip of 6mm of styrene in the centre, plus shoulder, wings, and gawa intakes. Basically entirely new kit.

SU-30_MKI_small.jpg

Now problem that I hit this weekend is dust from sanding. I got quite sick of it (all this CA glue and styrene, trick learned from Haneto). Can you or somebody else help me out and reveal your secret how to sand of tones of the glue, plastic and filler and not to die ugly way in my quite young age???

Edited by Simonov
Now problem that I hit this weekend is dust from sanding. I got quite sick of it (all this CA glue and styrene, trick learned from Haneto). Can you or somebody else help me out and reveal your secret how to sand of tones of the glue, plastic and filler and not to die ugly way in my quite young age???

Just a quick answer at this moment:

Nice project you have there... Is there a WIP thread somewhere?

Sorry to hear about dusting: the solution is quite simple and it's called WET SANDING. YOu just need wet & dry sanding paper and water. Check forelast picture in my last post, you can see a shallow white styrophore (styrofoam) cup half filled with water, this is where I wet my sanding paper, and clean it up later from sanding residue. Everything else is as per "dry sanding". As said, you just need wet & dry sanding paper NOT only dry sanding paper.

HTH, supergru

Hi there, Tomi, mate! :coolio: How's it hangin,' bud? I'm thrilled to see another fella modeller's embarked on a "Flankerstein" project. Well done, Simonov, bloke! By the looks of the result of yer poll so far, I truly can't fathom people preferrin' to build the Academy 1/48 Sukhoi-27B kit without stretchin' it; it's almost unbelievable. C'mon, folks; we need more "YEAs" here!

I don't have Robban's drawings, and even if I had them, they were on the bloody HDD, which is still offline. But I'm well assure that someone, from numerous viewers of this thread, still has 'em, so it would be excellent to share it with everybody, so we can continue the discussion.

Hmph... yeh, such is my luck. Awlrighty then, anyone peepin' this thread's got "them" lost pictures to Robbie's thread linked above on my previous post, I'll trade every 'n' each one of those pictures for shots of my lil' sister, the teaser - appearin' on my last posts on this thread - wearin' a bathin' suit. Might as well add rear-view shots of the Viking Lady wearin' a pink G-string bikini in the Bahamas. They're ALL real worth it; oh, yeh, they are. ;)

Mate! Can't believe I'd be pimpin' for aircraft plastic modellin' pictures! But a bloke's got to do whut a bloke's got to do...

Well Uncle, I don't have Monogram B-58, but i think 30 USD + shipping isn't a headache... Even this Academy Flanker in the same scale cost me about 50 USD. I won't ask why B-58, but did you try eBay? Quick search found a live auction (linky) I don't see why this would be a problem.

Honestly dunno whut was with the Viper Lady wantin' to do a 1/48 Hustler diorama all o' the sudden; or how anyone goes from a "Flankerstein" to a Hustler goes right over my skull, y'know. I seldom go to Evil Bay though; ya should not forget the fact that I don't own a credit card of my own, 'n' the Vampire Lady hardly ever allows me to use hers. Thing which highly amused me 'bout this Hustler bid ya linked is that, durin' a whole week, the price went from $9.99 to $11.50 when almost a minute was left before biddin' were done, to finally go up to $15.50 in the last second.

There are two more kits bein' offered at 19.53 'n' 38.40 quid, respectively. Be that as it may, me thinks it'd have been quite stupid to have paid 10 quid for a kit which shippin' cost might have been three times as much, minimum, in order for it to have been sent down here, aye? Aside from the payin' method, that's one of the main cons I've found bloody Evil Bay to posses. Maybe the Vulcan Lady saw that linky posted on yer last input 'n' was she the one who bid last over there in Norseland...? Thank ya very much for that link in her name, Tomster.

Regarding Google, if you hate Google Earth, you still have Google Maps, so you didn't made your homework ...

Aw, it ain't that me hates Google Earth only, y'know; I totally despise Facebook, MySpace, LastFM, Orkut, Twitter, the Flex Net Hair Spray Pump forum, Fotolog, MSN, the Bon Scott & the Sister of Fred Astaire forum, Flickr, 'n' the Nightwish forum, where everyone seems to be a bloody Goth wimp or a fairy/elf wuss wannabe! But that's just owin' to my bein' a tad of a complete anti-social misfit, me guesses...

I did mine, though ... You see, I'm modeling, besides Su-27, so maybe you and the Viking Lady could check my A310 WIP (linky). How about that?

AgentSmith.jpg:rofl:

Oh, "me" has got stomach cramps now... hahahaha. Aw, it hurts! Well, we saw yer A310 build, Tomi, 'n' were wonderin' whether that project is takin' the wind out of "them" Flankerstein project. Thing is we do like yer airliner project, but we object to the scale it is. Were it a 1/48 scale A310, we might spend more time peepin' at it, the Valium Lady 'n' I.

Lookie there...!!!

Sukhoi-27LowerFuselage.jpg

Me's already gotten "them" fuselage halves out the box. Lots of work ahead of me, 'n' I still haven't even got "thy" bloody Tamiya saw, me thinks I'm gonna start cuttin' with a kitchen knife if ya keep on rushin' me in. Can barely look at my kit unstretched, y'know.

Rear half cone is done. With extra caution while reshaping sills - thanks, Viking Lady, I learned a new word in English

Uh-huh... me's taught that word to the Viking Lady. She'd just use to mumble a strange sound while swingin' her axe, like Ralf Möeller's character, Ulfar, in the Pathfinder film. :lol: Mate, looks like ya've added a few millimetres to that rear half cone, haven't ya? Comparin' yer picture to mine, it appears to have been a couple millimetres in height, aye?

Sukhoi-27UpperFuselage.jpg

My owl, Uma, told me it's between 1.8 to 2.1 millimetres; could it be? It's very noooiiice the work ya're puttin' in yer project. So, it's goin' to be a vac-form canopy then? Gonna display "them" canopy closed, mate?

And I still want Viking Lady here on ARC !!!

Well, the Norsewoman told me she was certainly happy to have had some in-progress pictures of yer awesome "Flankerstein" to peep at durin' her last weekend in Kristiandsand. She oughta be on her way back right now. This week I'll surely have to go visit her in her home, to have some dinner, see some of yer last progress together, 'n' then let her nag me playin' either "Louie-Louie" or the "Crocodile Molestor" on me... :worship: She loves doin' that to me for I'm strong enough to fight her back - the sistas just can't handle her strenght not even together, so me's got to always endure her.

Awlright, Tomi; see ya round on this joint, aye, mate? Danke schön for the update.

Cheers, mate

Unc²

Edith Piaf: Rocka-Rolla...!!!

Edited by Uncle Uncool
  • 1 month later...
I'm thrilled to see another fella modeller's embarked on a "Flankerstein" project. Well done, Simonov, bloke!

:wub: Eeemmm, Uncle Uncool ... He's chopping Zvezda's 1/72 kit ... That's not the same league ...Sorry man! I know that Su-30 mold sucks, too, but if you want to enjoy a real Su-30 conversion in 1/48 scale, based on Academy's kits, then there's only ONE:

Beauty and the Beast WIP (linky)

Now, if only she gave us some update on that Su-30MKK ... :santa:

Me's already gotten "them" fuselage halves out the box. Lots of work ahead of me, 'n' I still haven't even got "thy" bloody Tamiya saw, me thinks I'm gonna start cuttin' with a kitchen knife if ya keep on rushin' me in. Can barely look at my kit unstretched, y'know.

So, it's goin' to be a vac-form canopy then? Gonna display "them" canopy closed, mate?

Yeah, that's veeeryyy hard thing to do - take the halves out of box ...

Canopy will be opened ... You asked me that already ...Why do I have to repeat everything twice? There's always a possibility that something will go wrong, which will force me to make it in closed position, but I'm still convinced I'll make it opened ...

I hope you can see my new signature (you need to be logged in first) :wub:

Oh, BTW, this is my 200th post here on ARC, and we broke another barrier: 20 000th viewer!

Current poll voting: 65-105 against stretching

You can thank for this update to MikeEM ... He wrote just 1-2 sentences on PM regarding this WIP, and those words just touched me!

I always love to show comparison with the "original" ... So here it goes ...

Scream if you can! If not, leave a comment ... Please....

PC210326.jpg

PC210325.jpg

Anyone else having difficulties with Photobucket since their last update?

Okay, that starboard strut in the first picture isn't actually an original anymore, since the torsion fork is from Eduard, but I found it useless since I need some flesh for adding hydraulic lines ... More pictures incoming ...

Edited by supergru

First I'm gonna start with something not shown on the pictures above: canopy

After 3rd unsuccessful attempt with the balsa, I turned back to the epoxy .. Thing is that I have no control (if any) while removing excess material, and once I remove too much, I can't just glue some balsa back and start over ... With epoxy I have the opposite: sanding is slow and I can repair errors on the fly ...

So, I placed a piece of tape over cockpit area, glued some balsa to canopy profile ...

PB140105.jpg

... and covered everything with epoxy ... This was over a month ago, but I still have no guts to start sanding... Maybe next year ...

PB140107-1.jpg

PB140108.jpg

Next are struts ... As said, I took new set and started from beginning ... I sanded all rings down, and then started to rebuild missing details... Especially that rotation fork on the top of the leg... Rings were also rebuild with the help of tape used for sealing aircons - this was a very useful tip that another modeler gave me, while reading WIP on this project. Now, if only there were more hints like that! Thanks, Jolly Rogers! That tape is very, very thin and stick to everything - you can press it around with a toothpick, and it won't go off ... Another thing it that I cut back protruding link that goes from the leg, back to fuselage hatch, that still needs to be opened ...

PC190303.jpg

PC190304.jpg

PC190308.jpg

And since that main legs are rotating inside wheel bay, I filled the hole in the wheelbay ceiling and drilled another, askew one, both in the fuselage and on the top of the leg ... Silvered wire was added, too to simulate the missing links ...

To prevent asking a stupid question: those legs on my model won't rotate

PC210329.jpg

Some test fitting shots in various stages of work ...

PC150286.jpg

PC150288.jpg

PC150289.jpg

More to come ...

Next thing was to open the hatch in the fuselage ... this proved to be a hard one, since there's no space to access with the saw ...

PC190309.jpg

PC190310.jpg

While opening the starboard side, I needed to determine which pipes goes where, which one are visible from inner side, etc ... Pipes were made from syringes, or better to say medical needles ... Some panels were wrong in this area, too...

PC200311.jpg

PC200318.jpg

PC200319.jpg

PC200320.jpg

PC230337.jpg

Some more shots, with the intake, but without needles yet ...

PC200313.jpg

PC200314.jpg

PC200315.jpg

This is not finished story yet ...

Last one, but there's still plenty of work here ... A thin metal plate will be used to smooth the transitions between styrene parts and Academy ... Still need to determine should I add rivets like Hawkins did it, on his superb Su-33

PC210328.jpg

I just scratched port side ... Surface scratch, that is ... That was a nasty one detail to add ...

PC230336.jpg

PC230338.jpg

I cut in another panel on the port intake (this one still needs to be cut in on the starboard side), next to the cross cut I made... That was another headache, 'cause I almost ruined the whole intake ...

PC230339.jpg

Next were aerodynamic covers in front of the main wheel bays: Academy closed them from all sides ... I've seen here some solutions with just drilling them open, but in reality, they are just thin metal covers, without any flesh ...

I had several attempts regarding this ...

First two from left are mine, cut away ... Now if you check my pics, you'll see that I had a 2 mm cut right there, and those 1/4 cones were smooth out with putty and everything ... Next is outer cover made from 0.25 mm styrene - not so good and hard to bend... Same goes for the 4th from the left - 0.25 mm styrene, but made with inner sides - bad one ... Last two are covers, made from thin metal plate, which proved already to be easy shaping material ...

PC190305.jpg

PC190306.jpg

PC180300.jpg

Here is starboard side already prepared, while the port still has the original 1/4 cone not removed ...

PC180301.jpg

Some test shots ...

PC160293.jpg

PC160295.jpg

PC160296.jpg

PC160298.jpg

PC160299.jpg

Port side has two boxes inside, so this was a test fit, to check for clearences and everything ...

PC210333.jpg

This is the last vent I made... It goes on the starboard side, aft of main wheelbay.... But I won't glue it 'till wings are glued and sanded ...

It measures about 4 mm in total ...

PC210321.jpg

Guess what this is ...

PC210334.jpg

That's all for this year ... :whistle:

Edited by supergru

:blink: Noooiiice, Tomi! Good to learn ya're still alive, mate! How's it goin,' bud? Took one to many brews on Xmas night? How's "them" family? Work? Yer health? Any kids since the last time ya posted on this thread, Tom?

Yeah, that's veeeryyy hard thing to do - take the halves out of box ...

Aw, that's mean, bloke...!!! eusa_naughty.gif Ya miss the point that, in order to get the fuselage halves outa the box, I had to wrestle the landlord's rottweiler on my way to the basement where I keep "them" stash now... ;) Anyone else would have either chickened out or smoked the bloody dog first. Me? I've still got fresh souvenirs from that encounter, which make my modellin' a tad painful, y'know.

Canopy will be opened ... You asked me that already ...Why do I have to repeat everything twice?

Hmph... Let me introduce ya to "Hissy Fit" meets "Temper Tantrum" tongue2.gif

MissyHissyFit.jpg

There's always a possibility that something will go wrong, which will force me to make it in closed position, but I'm still convinced I'll make it opened ...

Yeh, but won't the resin cockpit be kinda a bloody waste if sumthin' went wrong 'n' ya had to display yer canopy in "them" closed position? It's like ya had a Hemi engine installed in a Dacia 1410 'n' always kept the hood down, y'know. ;)

I hope you can see my new signature (you need to be logged in first)

Well, I must warn ya; owin' to yer looooooong absence on this forum, 'n' consequently, the hiatus on this build since she got back from Kristiandsand, I'm much afraid the Viking Lady made Odin switch the target of his lightnings; he's currently aimin' at yer arse now, not mine. Hence, I suggest ya take cover in the event of a storm over there in Karlovac, ya hear?

Current poll voting: 65-105 against stretching

Ne'er for the life of me did I understand "them" people not votin' in favour of a corrected Flankerstein...

You can thank for this update to MikeEM ... He wrote just 1-2 sentences on PM regarding this WIP, and those words just touched me!

Oh? Here's to the "NukeEM" bloke, then... :worship: I bloody owe ya, mate.

And since that main legs are rotating inside wheel bay, I filled the hole in the wheelbay ceiling and drilled another, askew one, both in the fuselage and on the top of the leg ...

'N' whut 'bout the weight of the finished Flankerstein standin' on "them" styrene main landin' gear legs without a supportin' hole in the wheel bay ceilin'? Don't ya think the load will be too much for a support which is askew to bear? Oh, how I wish I could consult with the Dragon Lady 'bout this... :(

To prevent asking a stupid question: those legs on my model won't rotate

Say, Tomi; will "them" legs rotate on yer model? lol.gif

I cut in another panel on the port intake (this one still needs to be cut in on the starboard side), next to the cross cut I made... That was another headache, 'cause I almost ruined the whole intake ...

Is this a NACA type of intake? Thank Odin ya didn't botch the project by doin' the cut, or else, the Dragon Lady would have gone over there to tear ya a new smiley35.gif She too feisty now; seems to be very upset as well, 'n' because of that, her "Louie-Louie" games on me turned out to be a lot brutal, y'know. Ya should bear in mind that the temperature averages a daily 98 degrees in this part of the glove durin' bloody hot season... ;)

Next were aerodynamic covers in front of the main wheel bays: Academy closed them from all sides ... I've seen here some solutions with just drilling them open, but in reality, they are just thin metal covers, without any flesh ...

Aw, hadn't it been a lot easier to have just shaved down "them" visible ends on those aerodynamic covers usin' files after havin' drilled 'em open, Tommyknocker, bloke? Whut's with yer head lately? :blink:

Guess what this is ...

PC210334.jpg

That's a bloody mess for sure! :worship:

Christiana.jpg

Beware of Santa; he's a Trotskyist. Gotta roll now, mate. Datin' a sheila from Servia, who's teachin' me the language. Tomster, mate; don't take that dive again; ya've got to push thru' that band o' rain. Climbin' out, just hold yer headin' true; gotta get yer finest out, yer #1 anticipatin' ya, ya hear?

Cheers, ;)

Unc²

"Eeemmm, Uncle Uncool ... He's chopping Zvezda's 1/72 kit ... That's not the same league ...Sorry man! I know that Su-30 mold sucks, too, but if you want to enjoy a real Su-30 conversion in 1/48 scale"

Harsh words bro. And I wouldn’t mind to start flame 1/48 against 1/72, but you helped me out, so I guess; now I owe ya one. Maybe this would do it: You mentioned the riveting. So check out this guy:P-42 1/48

All the best for the new year.

Hi Supergru !!!

Nice work, my congratulations!!!

Several years ago I played with "Flanker"-Academy-1/48, almost like you...

g03230_6782179.jpg

If you'd like to see more PIC's just go here:

http://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=3230

Unfortunately not so much photos like you, but I spent 1.5 years for this airplane and it was so nice time!

So good luck!

And I will look at your topic

If you need some INFO, just ask me, I have a lot of good photos for Su-27.

Serg.

Edited by Loong
Harsh words bro. And I wouldn’t mind to start flame 1/48 against 1/72, but you helped me out, so I guess; now I owe ya one.

Hell, yeh, Simonov, fella. That's right; then they say me's the one who's uncool on here... :thumbsup:

Vote "them" in favour of thy stretched Flankerstein already, even when the author is as abrasive as a brand new sheet of #200 sandpaper, blokes? :blink:

Cheers, everyone! :wacko:

Unc²

• 2 weeks later...
"Eeemmm, Uncle Uncool ... He's chopping Zvezda's 1/72 kit ... That's not the same league ...Sorry man! I know that Su-30 mold sucks, too, but if you want to enjoy a real Su-30 conversion in 1/48 scale"

Harsh words bro. And I wouldn’t mind to start flame 1/48 against 1/72, but you helped me out, so I guess; now I owe ya one. Maybe this would do it: You mentioned the riveting. So check out this guy:P-42 1/48

All the best for the new year.

I wish you happy modeling in 2011, too. Yes, that's really a nice P-42, converted from Academy kit, and I hope I can catch it at least with riveting my intakes, one day. I doubt I could do this in 1/72 scale, like haneto, this is why I picked Academy 1/48 - I have more space to train my skills up...

@Uncle Uncool and everybody else: check that Sergei's Su-27UB (a.k.a. Loong). You could learn a thing-or-two. Besides, that's only stretched Academy Flanker I found out there.

This is a really impressive project and very thorough for sure!

Good luck with the rest of the build, always a pleasure to see Flankers being "improved" :)

Heh, "improved"... :o If you want to "improve" it, pick a correct nose, replacement cockpit and nozzles... This,... Well I think this deserves a different word... How 'bout it Uncle Uncool? Anything popping up in your dictionary?

beside, I don't know if you knew but I saw on spurebrothers, Su-27 late type wheel bay (from wolfpack), I know I'm getting one

Yes, I saw it a month ago and already sent an email to Wolfpack, 'cause I wanted to clear what does "early" and "late" mean... Actually I'm quite curious what will you get (please post some nice close-up pics, 'cause I can't find any reviews of it)...

First.jpg

Got it? I'm sure I won't buy this, 'till someone clear's this mess ...

Let's just say, this is late design, and you get it eventually:

Second.jpg

(1) this would be the battery, right?

(2) Nice details and piping added to the port side, it's still on hold on my Flanker... It looks like scaled down front wheelbay from Aires (1/32 scale)

(3) Front part doesn't look much deeper, as mine ...

(4) Details like inner structure and piping are added to front part of main wheelbays... How about the rear part, which I started changing ...? And all those nice small piping colored grey, steel, black and blue, which protrude thru the whole wheelbay...

Something new, I'll update this thread with the photos from another topic...

I started sanding master on Sunday ...

P1020422.jpg

P1020419_2.jpg

P1020424.jpg

Oh, and took that photo into Photoshop ... :doh:

31.jpg