Tamiya 1/70 Apollo WIP

I'm in the process of re-linking images to a few of my threads ... including this one.

I had to take a break from my shuttle cutaway ... and had the urge to build this little model.

As a re-release of a 1969 model it's inaccuracies are well known. And I'd like to try to accurize it just a bit.

The Service Module was lightly sanded and wrapped with a sheet of 5 thou styrene card so I can attach the radiators and other details to it.

The underlying structure

2v2JaH37qxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH36rxAnAAS.jpg

The Aft Heat shield was the wrong shape, so I used some Milliput to make it a little more correct.

2v2JaH3QNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3brxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3KjxAnAAS.jpg

The Hi Gain antenna was way out of scale so I rebuilt it to at least be a little closer in scale.

2v2JaH35NxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3y5xAnAAS.jpg

The Command Module has panel lines engraved into it and I filled 'em with Mr Surfacer, applied with a brush. Sand and refill and sand and repeat. I'll also reposition the side windows and enlarge the opening in the rendezvous windows. The Umbilical housing will be removed and rebuilt.

2v2JaH31nxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3pqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3cFxAnAAS.jpg

Starting the New Umbilical housing

2v2JaH3k5xAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

The SM with some added surface details.

2v2JaH3RFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3BNxAnAAS.jpg

The CSM so far.

2v2JaH3wdxAnAAS.jpg

And onto the LM. The LM is close, so I'll only replace a couple of side panels on the Ascent Stage.

2v2JaH3SFxAnAAS.jpg

Rebuilding the front 'porch' with styrene rod and piano wire handrails.

2v2JaH3qzxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3G8xAnAAS.jpg

The Descent Stage with the landing radar shield and the attach points for the upper stage.

2v2JaH3m8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3hyxAnAAS.jpg

I'll display the LM with the landing gear in the stowed position so I had to cut apart the folding parts.

2v2JaH3iNxAnAAS.jpg

Starting to wrap the Descent stage with foil from chocolate bars. You can see my scratch built plume deflectors too.

2v2JaH3grxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3dyxAnAAS.jpg

That's it so far. This is a fun little kit, with 'little' being the operative word. My fingers are just too big to handle a lot of the little details I wanted to install.

Thanx for looking in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

I'm still plugging away at this ...

The LM's Ascent and Descent stages are just about done.

I've hollowed out the RCS thrusters and added the RTG cask, MESA and MET, landing probes and plume deflectors on the LM. I've also rebuilt a couple of the little VHS antennae.

Before some Paint

2v2JaH3NrxAnAAS.jpg

... and with some Paint

2v2JaH3rjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaHvvWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaHvUGxAnAAS.jpg

... and the Descent Stage

2v2JaH3zoxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaHvoCxAnAAS.jpg

I also painted some Alclad onto the CM.

2v2JaH3j8xAnAAS.jpg

The Service Module's RCS thrusters were outta scale just a bit, so I figgered I'd rebuild these as well. Kit part on the left, and then the new pieces. I really do enjoy the building aspect of this hobby. Some styrene, some glue, some problem solving and 'bobs yer uncle!'

2v2JaH3A5xAnAAS.jpg

The Radiators on the SM were built too. Just styrene rod glued and trimmed to size. And then masking the SM for paint.

2v2JaH3tjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaH3Y8xAnAAS.jpg

That's it for now, just a quick one today.

Thanx for looking in gents.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

The thing I love about your building Pete is your WIP images explain how easy it is to do in a few simple steps. Yet the end result is always stunning to see. Nice work man!

BTW, what did you use for the new High Gain antenna dishes?

Edited by Jay Chladek

Thanx very much guys!

And thanx Jay. I'd like to post even more WIP pix just to show how easy scratchbuilding is.

I'm puzzled when some of the modelers on these fora express difficulty in cutting styrene and gluing it back up again. I enjoy watching Norm Abram on the New Yankee Workshop, although I'm not a woodworker myself, and he can take a 2 X 4 and router it, drill it, cut it and shape it, to make a beautiful piece of furniture. I see modeling in the same light. Take some raw material and manipulate it to fit your requirement.

And the dishes for the Hi-Gain, are fuel tanks from a 1/24 Gemini kit. :wierdo:

Pete

Just about done.

I've still got to give this a once over and add a coupla details, but for all intents and purposes, it's done.

I haven't decided how to display this, either as the stack or 'in flight' ... but this'll do for now.

2v2JaHv9nxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaHvJFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JaHvEdxAnAAS.jpg

The Hi-Gain antenna is incorrectly deployed for this example, as is the EVA floodlight on the SM. But I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out.

Thanx for your comments guys. I really appreciate 'em!!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

WOW! this turned out awesome Pete as usual. would you recommend this kit? i know you put a lot of work in to it to get the level it is now but is it overall a good kit?

if you're open to suggestions for display, you could have it with the panels open and just about to break away so the CSM is just floating right in front of the LM. of course you'd have to have some rod or something holding it, but i know with your skills you could figure out a way of it not standing out too bad. just an idea.

Bill

Thanx Bill!

Would I recommend the kit? I paid close to $70 CDN for it, and after I read a review or two, for some reason, thought I was getting a CM and TWO LMs. One stowed, one in a landing position. So I figgered, I get three little models for $70. Alright I'll bite.

Well, obviously, there's only one of each and they're more like toys than scale models. The LMs legs are adjustable, but in a crude way. The kit is just plain inaccurate (I really expected more from Tamiya) but on the plus side, the fit of the various parts is pretty good.

I'd feel comfortable recommending the kit if it was, say, $40 CDN ... but I'd be reluctant to recommend it as it is.

Thanx again

Pete

Ahh...got it. basically a $70 toy. i think i'll stay away unless i find it on a bargain rack or something. thanks. I still have that Revell Apollo-Soyuz kit in half finished state i need to get back to sometime plus still have to put the finishing touches on the splash down dio. i think i'll get back to those before i think of another apollo kit. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I received the LES from Shapeways and Michael Key re-scaled it to fit ... and it looks GREAT!

I'm as "pleased as punch"!  :banana:  :yahoo:

2v2JQgbe8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JQgbHrxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JQgbajxAnAAS.jpg

The BPC is missing from the kit, but I always wanted, at least, the LES on this model ... and now ... it shall be done!

Now, can you guys suggest a method for cleaning prior to paint?

Thanx

Pete

Yes, it's FUD.

I didn't know about Ultrasonic Cleaning ... I had read on Shapeways' site that Isopropyl Alcohol, Bestine ( Rubber Cement Thinner) Dishwashing Liquid ( Dawn ) or Acetone was suggested.

If Ultrasound works, I'd like to know how long to leave the part in the Ultrasound tub.

We should start a Thread on How to Clean a 3D part and have it pinned ...

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
2 hours ago, K2Pete said:

do an internet search on "How to Clean a 3D printed part" there are tons of articles and videos

8 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Yes, it's FUD.

I didn't know about Ultrasonic Cleaning ... I had read on Shapeways' site that Isopropyl Alcohol, Bestine ( Rubber Cement Thinner) Dishwashing Liquid ( Dawn ) or Acetone was suggested.

If Ultrasound works, I'd like to know how long to leave the part in the Ultrasound tub.

Pete

Hi Pete,

this Video demonstrates the ultrasonic cleaning in fast motion, 

before  cleaning,

3D-Druck_stuetzstoff.jpg

and after 3 hours cleaning. up040577.gif

3D-Druck_entstuetzt.jpg

Source: bandelin.com 

Edited by spaceman

Manfred, thanx very much for the video. I'll give it a try on the next 3D piece that I buy.

Hotdog ... I didn't want a BPC for this kit as it would hide the Command Module ... plus it wasn't part of the kit initially. However, I did buy a BPC, which was fitted for the 1/48 Dragon CM, but only because I wanted to see the quality of the 3D BPC ... and it's lovely!

Pete