Lancaster reference

This might be a good starting point...............

Haynes Book

------------------------

Save your cash, it is not worth it. These books were not designed for the modeller in mind, much less for the guy witht that spare Lanc in his back yard awaiting restoration. I have that book and was so very disappointed with it. Actually one of the few (if only things) that I have ever returned to Amazon.com!

If you can find a copy of Kagero's Lancaster vol.1 (haven't seen volume 2 as of yet) or find the Modeller's Datafile book on the Lanc you will be miles ahead.

There were also some older issues of SAMI that came with 1/72 line drawings. These are the refernce sources that I have for my Lancaster projects and they do seem to cover most aspects.

Perhaps some else can add to this. Hope this helps.

I concur on the opinion on the Haynes book, a dissapointment from a modellers point of view.

I have the Modelers datafile on the Lancaster, thats ok for a start. The book "Lancaster at War" is also quite a good resource for general info.

One thing to keep in mind, is alot of photos are from museum/restored Lancs.

For more on the Lanc, you might post a question here

David

Myrinski' s Lanc by Betty Page details the rebuilding of FM-213 for the Canadian Warplane Heritage Muesuem.

Detail of the crew of the real Lanc during the war. Then the life of the plane that the museums now owns, from building to mounting on a pole to restoration.

Not enough colour shots but its what I am using for my current Lancaster project. I can not send you my copy as its from the public library and due back next week.

I would think it might be available from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Muesem in Hamilton, but of cours I am not 100% on that.

Myrinski' s Lanc by Betty Page details the rebuilding of FM-213 for the Canadian Warplane Heritage Muesuem.

Detail of the crew of the real Lanc during the war. Then the life of the plane that the museums now owns, from building to mounting on a pole to restoration.

Not enough colour shots but its what I am using for my current Lancaster project. I can not send you my copy as its from the public library and due back next week.

I would think it might be available from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Muesem in Hamilton, but of cours I am not 100% on that.

Just one point, the Lanc refered to above is a Mk.X, main difference was the upper turret, mounting 2 x .50 cal. rather than 2 x .303 cal. and was 6 feet further back (1" in 1/72, 1.5" in 1/48.) and did not have the surrounding 'collar'.

:)

Paul

Thats ok, at the time the book was made the upper turret was not ready to be put back on the plane. It did its first flights back in the air without the sucker.

I was just at Aviation World in Toronto. They have a second printing of the book for sale. Something like $40. You can order it from them and they will mail it to you. Much nicer cover then the 1989 first edition I have but the insides appear exactly the same. Or better yet the Canadian Warplane Heritage Mueseum as some of the money they make might actually go INTO the Lancaster to keep it flying.

Edited by phantom

1/. "The Lancaster Manual," published by Arms and Armour Press (Hippocrene Books, Inc., in the U.S.) ISBN 0 85368 311 5.

2/. "Lancaster Classic Aircraft No.6 Their history and how to model them," published by Patrick Stephens Ltd., ISBN 0 85059 344 1.

3/. Photo Profile + "AVRO Lancaster," published by Guildhall Leisure Services Ltd., ISBN 5 036319 004 335.

All three of the above are old, and 2 & 3 (at least) are no longer in print; no.1 comes and goes, when the RAF Museum sees fit to have another print run.

Edgar

I have a lot of references for the Lancaster but by far the most details was on a CD with blow by blow photographs of all areas of a Lancaster

http://www.flyingzonedirect.com/lancasterc...casterindex.htm

Seriously you cannot beat this - and no I have nothing to do with this company.

Regards

I must be a rarity, I kind of like it.

I also likes the Hayne's Spitfire book. I have about 12 great publications on the Spit and I must say I used the Haynes book as much as my Aero-Detail on the Spit.

• 1 month later...