Got my son free-hand painting cammoflage!

My son, age 6, has a workbench right next to mine. He does mostly Lego's but I have him doing a little modeling too.

Since I am hoping for a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfirl Mk. IX for Father's Day this year (hint...hint...) I decided my son and I should work together on the 1/48th Hasegawa Spit Mk IX in my stash!

The kit went together quickly and we did the airbrushing of the cockpit and grays together but I decided he needed to experience cammo painting by hand himself- OLD SCHOOL with a bottle of Testers Enamels and a brush. I want him to smell the thinner and get some paint on his fingers :jaw-dropping: So far so good. I'm proud of him!

43ad371c.jpg

bbbdd314.jpg

painting by hand himself- OLD SCHOOL with a bottle of Testers Enamels and a brush. I want him to smell the thinner

It is very good to spend quality time with your son but if I were you I'd take health into consideration - especially since you said your son has a workbench beside you, and enamel thinner =/= mountain breeze.

Sorry if this came out as preachy.

Very Cool! My six year old son just asked me the other day when he could learn to use my airbrush! I can't even keep the paint off of him now as it is! Takes after his ole' man! Love seeing kids get into the hobby!

It is very good to spend quality time with your son but if I were you I'd take health into consideration - especially since you said your son has a workbench beside you, and enamel thinner =/= mountain breeze.

no worries, sage advice.

I use acrylics 99% of the time. I wanted myson to experiance enamels just this once as a learning experiance.

Edited by toadwbg

That's so cool ! :)

I agree with you about the paint and thinner, sure, he may not use that much from here on out but it's great you're exposing him to what you had as a youngster ... He sure seems to be concentrating very well too ... :yahoo:

Gregg

Hey! I've been sniffing Testors/MM enamels for almost 42 years and dar aint nuttin' wrong wif me!!

bill.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As I have commented in other threads, I started my love affair with modeling alongside my father at the kitchen table, some 50+ years ago.Still have fond memories to this day. It's always encouraging seeing posts like this, because that means the hobby will carry on with the next generation. Best wishes, and be sure to post his finished model for all to see.

Jeff Briner

past president

IPMS-USA

• 1 month later...

I say start 'em young and get em away from the tube. I've got a 6 yr old nephew and a 19month old son and I'll be damned if they don't build models. I'll thwart and spite both their mothers Mwahahaha Okay that's kidding.