I've had this kit for awhile and this Group Build seems like a good excuse to build it next. I plan to build the kit out of box with kit decals. I started cutting off parts last night in prep for painting the interior.

B-25J1.jpg

B-25J2.jpg

Thanks,

Rodney

Edited by Rodney

Got back from a work trip and got a little more work accomplished. I've decided to try and push my painting skills a little on this one. I did some post shading on the interior and highlighting with dry brush after the wash. Unfortunately, most of this will be unseen when the fuselage halves are put together.

B-25J6.jpg

B-25J3.jpg

B-25J5.jpg

B-25J4.jpg

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...
Looks great Rodney. I have the Revell boxing of this kit but I think the Hasegawa decals are a bit better, good luck with it.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm in DC right now for work. I haven't been home much in the past month to work on it.

Rodney

I just compared my un-built kit with your project and I had no idea that one could do such an outstanding job with an out-of-the-box kit. Great work! Looking forward to seeing your progress! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got some time in the hobby room. Also, I hate the seam clean up stage of modeling... sand, fill, sand, fill, scribe, primer, fill, sand... and on forever!

Today, I was able to finish rescribing some lost panel lines and put down a layer of Mr Surfacer 1000. Sanded it with 3000 MicroMesh pad and I'm pretty happy with it. The fuselage is ready for the painting stage. Unfortunately, I have to go through all of this for the wings now. They are put together and some filler was used. I need to add the landing lights, do some scribing, and then a primer cote.

Things will get really slow again since we are expecting a baby any day now.

On to the update:

B-25J7.jpg

B-25J8.jpg

B-25J9.jpg

B-25J10.jpg

Thanks,

Rodney

• 4 weeks later...

Whew... finally finished. I rushed at the end and it shows. We just brought our second son home from the hospital last week and I go back to work on Monday so I was rushing things to get it finished.

The challenges I had with this kit (kit and/or self induced):

- nose fit

- windscreen fit

- fit of the clear parts over the landing lights in the wing. I ended up blending them in and polishing.

- tail out of alignment

- wheels out of alignment

- the kit decals completely and totally suck! I had all sorts of problems... (*#&%@(!

I was happy with how the painting and post shading turned out. Most importantly, I can add a B-25 to my display case.

Great group build and gave me the motivation I needed to build this model.

Rodney

b25j6.jpg

b25j7.jpg

b25j2.jpg

b25j5.jpg

b25j10.jpg

b25j13.jpg

Edited by Rodney
Well done. Can you talk about how you did that decal on the nose?

Sure, a lot of cursing...

The nose decals come in two halves. Hasegawa printed the decal with a couple of notches in order to conform around the nose. I trimmed as much carrier film from around the decal as I could and then deepened the notches with some slices. After appling the first decal, I added some small slices in a couple of more places on the second decal to help. This would allow the decal to over lap itself when conforming to the curves. All of that seemed to help. The two major problems I had was that the decal did not want to settle down over the vents that stick out on the side under the windscreen and the decals wrinkled. No amount of Solvaset seemed to help (if anything it made it worse). Also, I used warm/hot water for the decals because I thought I read somewhere that the Hasegawa decals behave better that way.

HTH,

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Rodney,

WOW !!! Your B-25J Mitchell is absolutely STUNNING to look at....

The Finish is flawless and the colors are just pure MAGIC....

The Box art is even good to look at and keep....

SUPERB build Sir...

HOLMES :lol: :lol: :worship: