EF-2000 Typhoon, Revell 1/32: 3(F) Squadron, Operation ELLAMY

Hi Marcel,

My Flanker took a steep bank and crashed into the trash can over the weekend,..........

Cheers,

Marcel

Oh man, that's too bad. :( So sorry to hear that things did n't turn out on your big Flanker.

Good to see that you're back on the horse and tackling Revells' Typhoon though.

I'm interested to see what you make of this one.

I'm attempting to keep up with any on-line builds that I can find of this model so I'll follow along if I may?

Just a quick mention about using the Eduard etch for the Trumpeter offering on this kit. Please don't expect too much my friend. From what I can gather, although the models are supposed to represent the same aircraft, there are more than a few dimensional discrepancies (size wise I mean,...not time, space etc...... :wacko: )

Other builders have had issues trying to cross-kit the etch......thought you might like a heads-up in advance. ;)

Please post any progress Marcel, I'll be taking notes as you go, cheers.

:jaw-dropping:

Thx Janne and Janman!

Oh man, that's too bad. sad.gif So sorry to hear that things did n't turn out on your big Flanker.

Yeah, that was pretty crazy, I had Zacto's intakes on and everything was looking really good when I got overzealous with the hot water. Enough said.

Good to see that you're back on the horse and tackling Revells' Typhoon though.

I'm interested to see what you make of this one.

I'm attempting to keep up with any on-line builds that I can find of this model so I'll follow along if I may?

Just a quick mention about using the Eduard etch for the Trumpeter offering on this kit. Please don't expect too much my friend. From what I can gather, although the models are supposed to represent the same aircraft, there are more than a few dimensional discrepancies (size wise I mean,...not time, space etc...... wacko.gif )

Other builders have had issues trying to cross-kit the etch......thought you might like a heads-up in advance. wink.gif

Please post any progress Marcel, I'll be taking notes as you go, cheers.

... I haven't received the Eduard bit yet, we'll see how that goes--I'm actually really enjoying this adventurous take on modelling, trying to bash together whatever is around in terms of aftermarket.

Not surprised about how different the two "scale" renderings are, seeing as Trumpeter's is so way off.

Here is a little more progress. This turned out quite nicely...

DSCN9530.jpg

DSCN9532.jpg

DSCN9531.jpg

Of course, the real challenge is how to deal with the intake behind that grille. :cheers:

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Opening out that grille is a neat touch. It certainly looks better than an applied wash to make the detail pop.

Without getting bogged down in too many details, Prime Portal has a few superb Typhoon walkarounds.

See here, here and here, etc.......

This piccie in particular will help with that grille...

HTH

:thumbsup:

Hi Marcel,

Opening out that grille is a neat touch. It certainly looks better than an applied wash to make the detail pop.

Without getting bogged down in too many details, Prime Portal has a few superb Typhoon walkarounds.

See here, here and here, etc.......

This piccie in particular will help with that grille...

HTH

Thx Guy... I hadn't come across those walkarounds before, they are VERY useful!

:P

Marcel

• 1 month later...

The wingtip pods also need substantial work...

DSCN9554.jpg

Finally, I constructed the tip of the radome using Al rod. The nose of the EF seems pretty sharp, and leaving it in plastic will inevitably result in a more blunted appearance.

DSCN9559.jpg

Thx for looking,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 1 year later...

Hello Everyone. I just realized it has been more than a year since my last EF post. Much has happened since, meaning that Aires has released a beautiful pit and also exhaust set, which are both in my view critical for a good 1/32 Typhoon.

On the personal side, I still find myself commuting from North Caroline (home) to Switzerland for work which is why there has been no modelling progress from my side. Maybe one of these decades we'll be able to sell our home and move to Switzerland and I can have a nice hobby setup again. Then again, by that time of course I'll have received a new work assignment in the U.S. again. But enough of that :deadhorse1:

All the time away from the hobby has enabled me to plan and think about how to solve the vexed Revell Typhoon intake problem and I have been able to steal some time and space here and there to start getting that going:

I started by assembling the basic trunking that Revell supplies and build up some side walls to that (notice the white plastic sheet). Also note that the outside of the gear bay that runs by the intake trunking has been sanded down:

IntakeStep5.jpg

Next I ordered some Plastruct TB-32 white tubing. The inside diameter of that is 22mm, which is an almost perfect match for the diamter of the above-shown assembly. The tube itself is a little thick, which would make it not line up properly with the kit trunking, so I sanded down the tube ends. One of these years I will invest in a mini-lathe to make this stuff easier to do...

PlastructTB-32.jpg

And hey presto, I glue it all together and it looks like this...

IntakeStep8.jpg

Yeah, still very rough around the edges...

IntakeStep7.jpg

IntakeStep9.jpg

Notice that I angled the trunks very slightly upward...

IntakeStep10.jpg

And just so that you guys are not too put off by all this very rough work, here is a sneak preview of what I'll be doing about the perforated splitter plate using the Eduard photo etch set for the Trumpeter kit.

DSCN9947.jpg

:coolio:

Marcel

... and this is what things look like after some filling and sanding. Note how thin the intake walls are sanded down to in order to make it fit.

IntakeStep13.jpg

IntakeStep14.jpg

IntakeStep16.jpg

Getting the intake to fit into the fuselarge required a bunch of sanding, both to the outside of the intake and the inside of the fuselarge. It's all in there very very snugly.

IntakeStep15.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Good work Marcel- especially since this model is a bear to build properly. I'm taking lots of notes.

Thanks Chuck! I'm really getting stuck into this one. The kit leaves much room for improvement but the basics are there, shape and panel lines are generally accurate.

I have recently decided to do an RAF 3(F) squadron plane instead of a GAF version. That means my IRIS-T work was for naught and I have some serious work cut out for me with those ASRAAMS, the kit ones are bad. But I just have to do a combat-build. Here is what that looks like:

ELLAMY Typhoon

3(F) sqdr takeoff

Now, some progress. Well, I had in fact done this prior to the initial intake posting, but here goes:

There is a bulkhead that may be visible once the intake is assembled. I thus elected to modify the kit part as follows:

IntakeStep1.jpg

IntakeStep2.jpg

IntakeStep4.jpg

I didn't spend too much time on this since it will be hardly visible once the intake is assembled.

Also, the kit intake spacer just dead-ends. I cut that out and deepened that a little.

Before:

IntakeStep3.jpg

After:

IntakeStep11.jpg

:cheers:

I cheated a little by adding a taper. That is to reduce the size of the "nothingness" towards the rear, I don't think the taper will be noticable once the intake is assembled...

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been filling/sanding/painting/repeat for the intake the last week or so. Here is where I am at now:

DSCN1207.jpg

I am fairly please with the result, the only issue is that the Tamiya putty has a hard time sticking to the Plastruct tubing, so bits keep flaking off. At this point there is only one blemish left to fix, so hopefully I can move on soon.

DSCN1205.jpg

I have also been preparing some of the Eduard photo-etch for the intake:

IntakeStep12.jpg

:cheers:

Marcel

• 1 year later...

... there's a strom brrewing...

:rofl:

Ok, enough sily humor. While I am waiting for Tamiya clear red in the mail so that I can finish my Flanker, I successfully got that perforated plate shaped and glued onto the splitter plate. I wil post pics as soon as I can, the initial way I tried to do it (above) didn't end well.

Question to all you Typhoon friends out there, which loadout do you think I should go for?

Air 2 Air

Bad-*** A2g

A2G 56 missions

Marcel

ps boy does it feel good to be doing something other than the Flanker...

Thanks Janne, Thanks Jari! At this point I am trending towards a A2A load... I have also stocked up on the requisite Cutting Edge Aim-120`s and Oz Mods Asraams.

So here is what the intake looks like now... must say that for the first time on this build, I feel fairly confident that I will finish it since I think I have the intake under control.

Reminder that the performated splitter plate is from the Eduard TRUMPETER detail set and is far too big in length but more importantly also in width for the Revell kit.

My 1st attempt ended up in the trash for two reasons... I thought I'd show this so that others don't make these mistakes:

1. I thought I'd elevate the perforated sections somewhat so as to give the perforations more depth and prevent them from being saturated with paint during the painting stage:

DSCN1495.jpg

This doesn't work, since the perforated sections don't have enought structure to support themselves i.e. they will warp.

2. I didn't adequately shorten the etched metal... a pretty stupid mistake since then the etched metal must curve around two axis which of course it won't do, so there will be buckling:

DSCN1498.jpg

So, I tore off the messed up etched part and ordered another Eduard set. I am really pleased with the result, although it still needs to be cleaned up:

DSCN2620.jpg

DSCN2615.jpg

Notice how I kept the Eduard part pretty short. When cutting the etched part, I always tape the part onto a metal backing and use a new Exacto blade to cut, using a steel ruler to esnure I get a straight line... it's actually remarkably easy and clean to cut, I use several light passes vs. trying to do it in one go.

Also, by using masking tape as you would to mask off for painting, and spreading filler over the exposed section, it is possible to reduce the perforated section, which is what I did on the outside of the lip. The perforated section sizes are not necessarily 100% correct but this is as good a result as I can possibly achieve.

A big bonus of using the Eduard part like this is that you get a nice and straight, crisp leading edge of the splitter plate... I have two of the Revell kits and the leading edges of the splitter plate are very not-straight on both.

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 2 weeks later...

Really nice work so far, I love this bird and looking forward to seeing it in 1/32 done right! I went for a swing role weapons load when I built my Typhoon (1/48 - and I am in no way comparing mine to this, I am a mere beginner in comparison!), but this is even more feasible now with the P1E software release happening around now on Typhoon, which gives it a full swing role capability.

A pic of mine:

v9VxT.jpg

Really gives it some stance with the Paveways on there I think! :)