EF-2000 Typhoon, Revell 1/32: 3(F) Squadron, Operation ELLAMY

Thanks Anthony, Thanks Kagemusha, Thanks Karl.

Regarding the landing gear, there are bigger things to worry about with this kit. I did get some metal undercarriage but ended up throwing them away, the metal was softer than the plastic and they were a total pain to clean up. I have added some Eduard etch and also scratch built lines to the gear and am pretty pleased with the result, will show pics when I am finished.

:cheers:

Marcel

The Aires exhausts are simply beautiful! The detail is great, the shape looks spot-on to my eye and they fit perfectly... what more could a modeller ask for.

The exhausts were finished using Alclad. Note that the EJ-200 is not lined with a ceramic, at least it doesn't appear that way. The bluish hue on the outside of the divergent (inner) section was introduced with Tamiya pastels.

DSC_0231_zps5b066ff7.jpg

DSC_0226_zps28088eb2.jpg

DSC_0225_zps2cf19205.jpg

DSC_0228_zpsaaf9b4e8.jpg

DSC_0230_zps473edbc6.jpg

A look at the cokpit area: Note the white stripes on the windscreen.

DSC_0229_zps1f7518d9.jpg

In case you're wondering about those white stripes, have a look here and here.

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
  • 2 weeks later...

Patrick, thanks for the continued support, really appreciate it!

Here are the finished Enhanced Paveways. There are actually four of them but on one of them a fin broke off as I was placing it for photography.

Harold of AMS Resin fame was a huge help in casting these... Harold has now rescued two of my projects, this one as well as my F-15E. These Enhanced Paveways are now available from AMS Resin.

DSC_0237_zps76be3cd2.jpg

DSC_0232_zps35eb8269.jpg

DSC_0239_zps5430ad9e.jpg

Marcel

Marcel, did I happen to mention that your building and painting skills are off the charts? Those Paveways and exhausts are astonishing to say the least! AMS resin will have to thank you for bringing them a new customer :thumbsup:/>

/Jesse

Beautiful work Marcel.

This is one of the best renditions of a Eurofighter that I can remeber seeing. Superb, subtle and sympathetic weathering on an awesome paintjob. Just top notch stuff. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links to those two cockpit shots. Those will be very useful and really show some excellent detail in the upper canopy decking. :salute:

You must be on the home stretch by now....

Marcel, did I happen to mention that your building and painting skills are off the charts? Those Paveways and exhausts are astonishing to say the least! AMS resin will have to thank you for bringing them a new customer />

/Jesse

Thanks Jesse. Appreciate that, especially since it took me forever to paint those Paveways. At one point I thought the yellow band didn't look right so had to more or less start over with painting.

Beautiful work Marcel.

This is one of the best renditions of a Eurofighter that I can remeber seeing. Superb, subtle and sympathetic weathering on an awesome paintjob. Just top notch stuff.

Thanks for the links to those two cockpit shots. Those will be very useful and really show some excellent detail in the upper canopy decking.

You must be on the home stretch by now....

Thanks Guy! Yes, I am getting close, just a few cockpit finishes and sticking on the gear and ordnance and that should be it.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rom!

Here is what the Pirate IRST turned out. I press formed the lens from clear acetate and then cut to fit onto the fairing. I really lucked out with the cutting, I tried to make some attrition lenses but I only ever got a single one to look right. The white stripes were done using white decal cut to shape (Guy, great minds think alike). FYI the black behind the white is part of the housing, not the lens.

DSC_0012_zps4e359615.jpg

Also note maps underneath windscreen.

DSC_0020_zps4d1c2728.jpg

Here is that little sensor inside the port side of the intake. It is a very small aerofoil section made from plastic card, with a little pin mounted on top.

DSC_0019_zps4d29e3fc.jpg

Here is where I am with the seat. Maybe still needs a little bit of a wash. The seat is from Aires. I used lead foil for some belts and the Eduard colored seats for others.

DSC_0007_zps0e9f00d0.jpg

DSC_0008_zpseb0fea15.jpg

Marcel

When I look at somebody else's model, one of the very first things I look at is the windscreen. If the windscreen is OK, I then scan the rest of the build. If the windscreen is crappy, I loose all interest and move on. Your windscreen is OUTSTANDING! Crystal clear and sharp around the edges of the frame. Bravo! :thumbsup:

I would agree on a bit of a wash for the seats, if for no other reason, to bring out some of the seat details.

Absolutely stunning build - the best Typhoon model I have seen. I do agree with your comment on the seat belts as IMHO your seat belts look much more natural and realistic than the Eduard belts. I will be honest and state that I an not a big fan of Eduard etched seat belts mainly because they are hard to make look natural as I have never found a way to anneal them without damaging the paint work.

When I look at somebody else's model, one of the very first things I look at is the windscreen. If the windscreen is OK, I then scan the rest of the build. If the windscreen is crappy, I loose all interest and move on. Your windscreen is OUTSTANDING! Crystal clear and sharp around the edges of the frame. Bravo!

I would agree on a bit of a wash for the seats, if for no other reason, to bring out some of the seat details.

Thanks Chuck! Agree, the windscreen is an integral part of the aircraft and should be modelled accordingly. It is also one of the very few external parts of an aircraft that looks very clean and polished and thus needs to look that way on the model.

Yeah, I will give that seat a wash...

Absolutely stunning build - the best Typhoon model I have seen. I do agree with your comment on the seat belts as IMHO your seat belts look much more natural and realistic than the Eduard belts. I will be honest and state that I an not a big fan of Eduard etched seat belts mainly because they are hard to make look natural as I have never found a way to anneal them without damaging the paint work.

Thanks! Agree, Eduard seatbelts are only to be enjoyed in small doses, if at all.

Here is a big warning to potenital builders of this kit. I assembled and detailed the main legs and wheels as follows... BTW those are the Master Casters weighted wheels, which are also more correctly sized than the kit wheels I think.

DSC_0004_zps80a17ff2.jpg

Notice how the wheels are perpendicular to the legs, as they are on most undercarriages. Well, when all is said and done, you end up with this mess:

DSC_0018_zps1cd9e730.jpg

After some serious cursing, I twisted the wheels off the legs, drilled out the associated mounting holes and mounted the wheels at an angle to compensate for the main undercarriage legs being angled very noticably inward, as they are on the real thing.

Also note on the above pic how the front wheel is not centerline to the front leg. I had to again twist off the wheel, trim the wheel mount and re-attach.

It is all more or less solved now as you can see in the below pics.

DSC_0241_zps5fceccc8.jpg

DSC_0242_zpsd9fb11fe.jpg

Weapons are also attached.

DSC_0240_zps439c0cd2.jpg

My careful planning with the stores really paid off, no glue was required when mounting any of the bombs or missiles.

DSC_0244_zps04b3a39b.jpg

DSC_0245_zps03874514.jpg

:cheers:/>

Marcel

• 5 weeks later...

Oh very nice indeed Marcel. This exemplifies the less is more approach. A real PITA how the MG legs attached, but you made a good save.

How much bigger are the kit wheels relative to Mastercasters?

Great angle

DSC_0302_zps4d66c6d1.jpg

Three and a half years, wow. :thumbsup:

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Thanks Ian, Thanks Markus, Thanks John!

Oh very nice indeed Marcel. This exemplifies the less is more approach. A real PITA how the MG legs attached, but you made a good save.

How much bigger are the kit wheels relative to Mastercasters?

Great angle

John, the kit wheels are far bigger than the Mastercasters wheels. Unfortunate, since the Mastercaster wheels take a lot of cleaning up but are a must due to the size.

Cheers,

Marcel