EF-2000 Typhoon, Revell 1/32: 3(F) Squadron, Operation ELLAMY

Thanks Guy, thanks Jesse. Guy, that HUD is all thanks to your pioneering work!

Jesse, that F-15E goes a while back, here is the thread:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=173334&st=100

I have really been struggling with the Typhoon the last few days. On glueing the windscreen a drop of Tamiya cement somehow crept onto the windscreen. So the whole thing had to be torn of again :bandhead2: . Take 2: I had a spare windscreen and I had actually already sanded, polished and tinted it (Future + Tamiya smoke). So I glued that one on. However, due to the very slight space between the side/bottom of the instrument coaming and the windscreen, Tamiya cement decided to creep up there, ruining another windscreen :bandhead2::bandhead2: . So off that one came again. I have spent the rest of the day sanding away the glued area, polishing and once again tinting the windscreen. I'll try gluing the thing in place again tonight, I'll hit the ceiling if I once again run into issues.

<_<

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Here's how the intake splitter plate is turning out. In case you haven't read the whole thread, the splitter plate was constructed using the Eduard photo-etch for the Trumpeter kit. The photo-etch was cut down and the performations filled on the side to make it match the Trumpeter kit. Still needs some finishing at the back end but looking pretty cool.

DSCN2977.jpg

DSCN2978.jpg

Some pics of the exhausts-in-progress. The Aires sets are awesome! I used Alclad on Humbrol satin (i.e. semi-gloss) black for these. I'll be using Humbrol satin as my usual Alclad base from now, I find using a gloss base for Alclad shades makes most shades look unrealistically shiny.

DSCN2967.jpg

DSCN2966.jpg

The insides: I used a variety of paints to get to this finish, there's a bunch of heat-discoloring going on there. The EJ-200 afterburner sections are somewhat unusual in that they don't have the normal light-ceramic look that most contemporary AB sections have.

DSCN2970.jpg

DSCN2968.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Hi Marcel, good stuff :thumbsup:

Those Aires resin burner cans look super-detailled. Neat paintjob. The exterior petals are a bit smoother but not glossy so I think your satin base coat will give just the right effect. Any idea on what shade you'll use?

I'm assuming that you have plenty of reference photos from around the net but if not, drop me an e-mail and I'll send a couple over.

The etched mesh improves that area on the intake ramp significantly doesn't it? You've made an excellent job of fitting it without gumming up the tiny holes with glue. :worship: I always seem to manage to fill about half of the holes in any fine mesh etch..... :lol:

Good to see you making such great progress on your Typhoon.

:cheers:

Hi Marcel, good stuff

Those Aires resin burner cans look super-detailled. Neat paintjob. The exterior petals are a bit smoother but not glossy so I think your satin base coat will give just the right effect. Any idea on what shade you'll use?

I'm assuming that you have plenty of reference photos from around the net but if not, drop me an e-mail and I'll send a couple over.

Thanks Guy! I think I'll go with pale burnt metal, that should be very close. I do have some reference pics of the exhaust area, but the more the better. While I am at it, I could really also use some very close-up pics of the IRST.

The etched mesh improves that area on the intake ramp significantly doesn't it? You've made an excellent job of fitting it without gumming up the tiny holes with glue. I always seem to manage to fill about half of the holes in any fine mesh etch.....

I basically treat it the same way I would a windscreen i.e. I mask it off until assembly is about complete.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my Typhoon. Lots of little things have been added...

DSCN2998_zpsc6f1eeca.jpg

DSCN3000_zpsdb562558.jpg

I have press-molded and then cut to shape my own version of the Pirate IRST dome. This will need to be heavily smoked. Guy, thanks for all the tips on this...

DSCN3014_zpsb8a4dd18.jpg

DSCN3015_zps2ab3cdd4.jpg

DSCN3012_zpsdb0e19bc.jpg

DSCN2983_zps7c2a241b.jpg

And just to prove that this is really all starting to come together:

DSCN3004_zps364c88ac.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Great work on those tiny details, which can really make a model "pop" when finished. You've really turned a so-so kit into something very interesting and accurate. I can hardly wait to see the final paint and weathering! :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks Tyler, Chuck, John.

John, thanks for the links. The Airfighters pic is superb, shows a bunch of underside detail and also the shape of the hook... which is entirely misrepresented on the kit.

Here are some intake updates. Almost complete now, just need to smooth out the odd bump here and there.

DSCN3007_zps4ebcde5e.jpg

DSCN3008_zps42c2ecd9.jpg

And just to prove that the trunking is in there, here is a nasty, flash pic:

DSCN3010_zpsa2adf40e.jpg

Here is the Two-Mikes pylon, which is very nicely done. Thanks Mike! Also still needs some finetuning here and there.

DSCN3005_zpsaa06266d.jpg

Scratchbuilt centerline pylon. Looks a little bland but don't know what else to add. Mybe the Litening will light it up.

DSCN3006_zpsb652254d.jpg

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Man your work on this jet looks awesome plus all the pictures others are sharing for references really helps I'm sure. Keep up the great work Marcel!! Lots of detail keep the pic's coming.

Man your work on this jet looks awesome plus all the pictures others are sharing for references really helps I'm sure. Keep up the great work Marcel!! Lots of detail keep the pic's coming.

Thanks Tonal... always good to get your support!

Are are some pics showing some more of the little things I have done to the kit:

DSCN3020_zps05c97dce.jpg

DSCN3021_zpsa483a666.jpg

DSCN3024_zps720f428c.jpg

DSCN3022_zps8ffe1c72.jpg

DSCN3023_zpsd7dd7474.jpg

Here's what I did to the APU exhaust. I had already cut out the hole for the exhaust before I read about the Two Mikes update... unfortunately the hole I cut out was just a little too large for the Two Mikes part so I did my own exhaust by squashing an appropriately sized brass tube in a vice.

DSCN3026_zps13491db0.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Marcel

Thanks Jesse, Patrick, Wolfgun, Guy!

Here are some pics showing the 1001 different shades of Gray I have painted this with. The base coat is Humbrol 167 Barley Gray + a little bit of ModelMaster Flat White to lighten it up. I then sprayed some lighter areas here and there with more white added to the Barley Gray to get to a somwwhat faded look. The Radome, fin tip and some other areas where sprayed according to Bobski's recommendation, Humbrol 165.

After that, things got really interesting, I painted various panels, leading edges etc using about the entire Humbrol spectrum of grays. Note that the leading edges of the wings and canards are a different shade of gray--modern jets almost always have their leading edges be a different color to the corresponding flying surfaces, I would guess that's because the leading edges get resprayed as the paint is abraded off. I will be doing the quite famous Q0-M airframe--I looked at all the pics I could find on the net and tried to match the panel effects that I saw on the pics. There are some effects fairly particular to Q0-M, such as a very light gray panel under the left canard and the dark stripe panel at the front of the rudder. The top and bottom surfaces were more guesswork, I used a pic of a weathered 3 Squadron Typhoon on airliners.net for inspiration.

Apart from masking off various panels and spraying them a slightly different color, I also use a drybrush technique where I use a paint brush, dip it into a typically slightly lighter shade with respect to the base coat, brush it on scrap paper until there is virtually no paint left, and then rub that on a particular section of the airframe.

Below are the results. Still looks a little off since some of the paints were gloss, some flat, and others satin. I apologize for the large memory pics, it's hard to otherwise see the different gray shades.

photo8_zps6adece30.jpg

photo0_zps1f3d6d36.jpg

photo_zpsd73e62a3.jpg

photo4_zpsb07bc46a.jpg

photo5_zpseb57a4f3.jpg

photo7_zpsee57079d.jpg

photo6_zps4a99eee3.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

I love the patchy panel look which gives it a lot more realism. If you keep this up, this model could rival your F-15E which is saying a LOT! That bird is still my favorite Eagle, along with Guy's of course!

Great work Marcel :worship:/> That is some gorgeous painting! I always see the paint patches on these birds, but never been brave enough to try it. The outcome on yers is most inspiring!!! BTW I used that dry-brushing random panels technique on my Super Bug.... It sure saves a lot of masking time :thumbsup:/>

/Jesse

I love the patchy panel look which gives it a lot more realism. If you keep this up, this model could rival your F-15E which is saying a LOT! That bird is still my favorite Eagle, along with Guy's of course!

Thanks Chuck! Those are strong words coming from you :worship:/> ... must say I really do like the way this Typhoon is coming along.

Great work Marcel /> That is some gorgeous painting! I always see the paint patches on these birds, but never been brave enough to try it. The outcome on yers is most inspiring!!! BTW I used that dry-brushing random panels technique on my Super Bug.... It sure saves a lot of masking time />

/Jesse

Thanks Jesse. I use both dry brushing and masking. I like the dry brushing technique since if you do it well (i.e. with some practice) it looks like the paint discolored, giving the whole model a "roughened by the elements" look.

Well folks, I need to put this on hold for about a month. We're doing yet another move, about the 10th in 10 years. We're really planning on this being the last one in a very long time.

:cheers:/>

Marcel

Guys, looking for a little help here. I am building ZJ927 "Q0-M", famous for having 56 mission marks from Ellamy.

pic

I will be building her mid-campaign, as per the below pic (not copyrighted as far as I can tell):

ID37482_600_zps986240f6.jpg

There are 26 mission marks on there. I had planned to use Paveway mission marks from the spares box. Howver, if you look closely at the mission marks...

closeup_zps86508682.jpg

... you will notice that they depict the Paveways with wings extended. None of the mission marks from the spares box (including Operation Telic Tonka mission marks) show the Paveways this way. I have two options:

1. Either show ZJ927 earlier with fewer mission marks, in which cae I can try to somehow add the extended wings... any pictures of ZJ927 with fewer mission marks would be most welcome.

2. Any pointers to where I could find extended wing mission mark decals would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
This is the first big scale Eurofighter I have seen being built. Great work so far and the level of detail on it is incredible. I cannot wait to see the finished model.

Thanks for the support, only just noticed the response.

Fortunately for this build, John "kstater94" responded for my call for help regarding the mission markings and supplied me with a print-ready pdf featuring the markings... huge thanks to John, that's what ARC is all about!

Should anybody know anybody that can do a quick custom decal print I'd appreciate it, I have just relocated and am just not set up right now to do that.

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Sorry I missed this thread earlier and glad I've now caught it. I was one of the photographers who caught ZJ927/QO-M on camera in the very brief time it was back at Coningsby after Ellamy and flying before it went into overhaul. If anything I've got is of help then I can send you some big edits, although they've been on here before there's a few examples below.

6199262016_10ed7bd5bd_o.jpg

6199262022_b38f075460_o.jpg

6199262040_138567cb82_o.jpg

I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Gary

Hi Marcel,

Sorry I missed this thread earlier and glad I've now caught it. I was one of the photographers who caught ZJ927/QO-M on camera in the very brief time it was back at Coningsby after Ellamy and flying before it went into overhaul. If anything I've got is of help then I can send you some big edits, although they've been on here before there's a few examples below.

I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Gary

Hello Gary, many thanks for stopping by and posting these... your pics are in fact what inspired me to do QO-M. One questions: Do you happen to have more pics of QO-M during the campaign? The reason I ask is that I am loading my model with ordnance, which measn it would be somewhat unrealistic to do the aircraft with the full 56 mission marks. In a perferct world I could find a pic of QO-M with 55 mission marks.

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

I'm afraid these are the only pictures that I got of it in that configuration. They're taken at RAF Coningsby during two routine sorties flown on the 28th September, 2011, only about a week after this jet was one of the last four back. Until I saw the one that you posted, I hadn't seen any other pics of it with a smaller number of LGB marks. Although this one was marked with the full 56 when it came back - I've seen pics of it taken upon returning, which also appeared in a tacky British tabloid newspaper because it was flown back by the RAF's then only female Typhoon pilot - at least one other jet (which one escapes me at the moment) wasn't marked until it had been back in the UK for several months. I can understand it is a bit of a job trying to lock in a date to represent a model. I did read a quote in a UK aviation magazine from the RAF Typhoon detachment on Ellamy that they kept this jet on the det longer than normal because it enjoyed such good serviceability. It was a late starter as well, as it wasn't amongst the inital ten sent out.

Shortly after I photographed it, it disappeared into Typhoon Maintenance Flight, it reappeared in February/March 2012 before being remarked for 17® Sqn and recoded 'AE' but initially retained the LGB markings. These were then removed shortly afterwards prior to a 17® detachment to the US.

Gary

Edited by gary1701