Revell F-15E Strike Eagle

Reading many reviews of this to be the most accurate kit of the F-15E in 1/48th I just picked one up at Michael's and had a few questions on the kit and building it:

1. I noticed the external fuel tanks have raised panel lines on them as well as the horizontal stabilizes have raised detail on them, is this accurate?

2. Out of the box what period of time is this bird accuarate for...Gulf War?

3. Afterburner cans have the engine turbines molded to them on the ends, how is one to go about painting the turbine fans?

4. Any good on line build reviews for this Mudhen?

5. Anyone think using the new Academy OIF kit and this kit together you can make a good modern Mudhen? I have the Academy kit also and want to try and add the photo etch and weapons from the Academy kit to the Revell kit. Plus the Academy decals from Cartograf should be nice to use also.

I got this kit by accident. I bought an Academy 1:72 mudhen, they sent me a Revell 1:48 :blink: I wanted to cut up the 1:72 to make a F-15SE, but i don't want to butcher such a nice kit (the 1:48).

1. I noticed the external fuel tanks have raised panel lines on them as well as the horizontal stabilizes have raised detail on them, is this accurate?

Yes, both are accurate. The lines on the fuel tanks are weld lines, and the ones on the stabs are stiffeners that are specific to the Echo

2. Out of the box what period of time is this bird accuarate for...Gulf War?

OOB with minimum improvements the Revell F-15E is accurate for Desert Storm and (very) shortly thereafter.

3. Afterburner cans have the engine turbines molded to them on the ends, how is one to go about painting the turbine fans?

Very Carefully :woot.gif:

4. Any good on line build reviews for this Mudhen?

There have been a couple of good builds on ARC lately, and a few more that are in-progress

5. Anyone think using the new Academy OIF kit and this kit together you can make a good modern Mudhen? I have the Academy kit also and want to try and add the photo etch and weapons from the Academy kit to the Revell kit. Plus the Academy decals from Cartograf should be nice to use also.

Viperbite is doing that very thing right now, however, even the new parts (speficially the missile rails) are still wrong. The weapons and decals should be usable though.

Aaron

I was not aware the missle rails were wrong. Looking at the sprues the rails looked like LAU-128 to me or pretty darn close. Looked different from the old rails provided in the Revell kit any how. I have a bunch of Kinetic F-16 kits, the rails in these kits are they not LAU-128?...if so I have a bunch of them I can use. Anyone aware if the new Academy F-15E kit has the GPS dot added?

Anyone aware if the new Academy F-15E kit has the GPS dot added?

It does. But there's no detail on them. If you wanna add some, you'll need to make 4 small depressions on the 2, 4, 8 and 10 positions on the dot followed by a strengthening plate in front of it.

Well I look forward to watching Viperbite's build progress as I have the Revell and the new Academy OIF kits and I plan on using the Academy parts that I can on the Revell kit to bring it up to those standards. The big things for me on the Academy kit are fitting and filling the seperate wings, the sparce incorrect cockpit and blank sill walls and the intakes...well what were they thinking of when they designed them. I never ever thought Revell could have such a nice accurate model, but this F-15E is pretty sweet, just needs an updated version released and Revell would be very wise to release a MSIP F-15C and some nice F-14's accurate and scribed, wow would that not be something...will never happen though.

• 1 month later...
The rails in the Academy kit are LAU-128's, however, they are too short, as are the Wolfpack-D rails they were based on. You want good LAU-128's, look no further than Shawn Hull.

Aaron

OH NO!!!! Does this mean that the Wolfpack-D set (OIF/OEF) contains bad launcher rails?? I have this set and was hoping that I would be covered. HELP!!!

I cut the part with the turbine fan, about half of an inch from the end of the burner can using a razor saw, painted it and then just glued it back.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!