F-15DJ Hasegawa 1:48

Hello, I just finished my latest model.

You may find the progress pictures at: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=201620

I put hi-res final photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/levburkara/201...Mv7mI6hr6WN5wE#

As I am constantly looking for ways to improve my skills, I would welcome any and all suggestions for the future (hence the post under Critique Corner :monkeydance: ).

Here are some of the pictures from the final album:

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

Edited by zidane

I've seen some awesome shots of magnificent work, these are no exception as they show the build as crisply and clean as any I've ever seen; Of course the subject makes it all possible. An outstanding job of the build in all phases. If there are such things as error free finished models we may be looking at one.

Edited by Angels49

Thank you very much. It certainly has many issues but it's a great learning process that I hope never ends. Ken, thank you for pointing out the fin lights. I totally missed that.

Incidentally, I am having trouble in the following steps, may I ask for your feedback while it's fresh in my mind?

(1) Microsol or Tamiya softer? I can't get the decals to really blend with the surface. Their thickness is still noticeable. For the first time, I used Tamiya softer on the first few decals but found it to be much thicker than Microsol and it leaves a residue. I use its own brush attached to the lid. Once I saw the residue formation, I switched back to Microsol but still not satisfied. In both cases, I use Microset under the decal, apply the decal, wait for it to dry for about 30minutes, then apply Sol/Softer. Next day, I again apply Microsol.

- Is it the number of applications of these that is the key?

- Is microsol or Tamiya softer any effective when the decal is completely dry? Or, should they be applied while the decal is relatively wet, like within the first 10-20 minutes? I am starting to think my second application the next day is futile.

(2) Some of the decals are colorful and stark and they don't seem like they 'belong.' I know some people use very very thinned down grey and mist it over the entire model. Shall I do that? I am afraid to ruin it though. Are there any tips in this technique?

(3) I keep reading about filters but don't know what they are. I searched online but did not find much useful info. I would very much appreciate any information about what their purpose is, and how it is applied.

Sorry for the long list, but I am at a loss with these :( Thanks very much in advance!

Thank you Honza! I have made significant changes to the way I do certain things after I came across your posts about a year ago. I think I learned the most studying your builds. No matter what though, I don't think I will ever understand how your create your rivet details in the most impossible places on your models (eg, the upper wing root of your A-4) :thumbsup: How does the tool fit in there, no idea...

I don't think I will ever understand how your create your rivet details in the most impossible places on your models (eg, the upper wing root of your A-4) :thumbsup: How does the tool fit in there, no idea...

Thank you too Zidane... It´s very very easy... you must make a rivets on wings before sticking the wing with fuselage....

It´s many ways, how to make a rivets in many period of build.

I am very happy, that my builds are inspirative for somebody.

And about little mistakes I wrote...

Check this two areas...

IMG_3593.jpgIMG_3544.jpg

Thanks a bunch! I broke the left horizontal stab today but it should be easy to put it back. Honza, the mistakes you pointed out are right on, especially seem line down the bottom! Also, the lighting unfortunately does not reveal it but many decals remain that thick still. Hope I can do a better job at decaling (it's the most fun part for me).

My next project will either be a Hase F-18F, or Hobby Boss Tornado. Can't wait to start working on the new one :thumbsup:

This is one gorgeous F-15. The camouflage and paint weathering is just top notch work, as are the metal areas around the engines. The contrast of the decals versus the paint is the only thing that jumps out at me but you already noted it yourself. Next time you could try some heavily diluted Tamiya Buff misted over the model after you have decaled it to cut buck on the starkness and blend them into the finish. That aside, this is one of the finest F-15 models that I've seen posted here. Beautiful job.

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore

Hello Burak,

WELL DONE SIR!!! Guys, I got the distinct displeasure of competing against this F-15 this past weekend with a Natural metal Hase sabre. The venue was the Blizzardcon in Columbus. That -DJ looks alot better in person than it does here, even though it looks great as it sits. I have to tell you that his model took a first place in the 1/48 scale jets. Again well done. It was a great pleasure to meet the builder and talk to him face to face. We are going to try to stay in touch, either through here or emails. I vote for the Hobbyboss Tornado Burak :thumbsup: .

Great meeting you and keep in touch, :thumbsup:

Jack aka BUGFAN