Here we go title says it all. Yes its not a tomcat got alot more of those planed but i wanted to but some other models so i don't get bored.This is my very first and wont be my last hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Phantom. I did have some fit problems with this kit and i think because of all the extra stuff i put in it. Now i'm not a huge fan of the F-4 Phantom but i really love the history of this aircraft and the extreme air to air combat those pilots had to face with all the problems the missiles gave them and the fact the phantom at least the navy's had no gun. I can't imagine how frustrating it must have been to get a tone and no hit. In this kit i used Aires cockpit, aires exhaust nozzles, Cutting edge seamless intakes,airwaves wing fold,cutting edge flaps,hobby decals, gekko graphics bomb graffiti which im not a fan of,and airdoc's pylons i think thats it. Its armed with 4 sidewinder's 4 sparrows, 6 rocket pods, a gun pod, and 12 mk 82's i wanted to arm my phantom in with bombs so to the pictures

F-4PhantomVF-84001.jpg

F-4PhantomVF-84002.jpg

F-4PhantomVF-84004.jpg

F-4PhantomVF-84006.jpg

F-4PhantomVF-84008.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Andrew

Sweet! This (along with it's Tomcat Brother) were on my "must do" list when I got back in the hobby. Those are finished and now I need to add their Superhornet Brother to them in the display case.

Critique:

-Impressive display with all that ordinance load. I have no idea it that much stuff was ever hung under that particular Bone's Phantom.

-Bombs a little mis-aligned and too glossy?

-Canopy a little mis-aligned

-inside of rocket tubes could use a black wash to give depth

-Exhausts angled down a little to far?

All minor stuff. To me it just looks awesome. :(

Very nice Phantom, Andrew ... :(

My main critic ... How can anyone NOT be a Phan of the Phantom ? :huh:

Gregg

Only the sick and demented could not love this airplane.... HE HE! Nice work. Although I think that load out might be more typical of a USMC Rhino. Not sure. LOVE IT EITHER WAY!

Only the sick and demented could not love this airplane.... HE HE! Nice work. Although I think that load out might be more typical of a USMC Rhino. Not sure. LOVE IT EITHER WAY!

I not sure about the load out as well i read the osprey publishing's F-4 Units and it really did not specify which dropped bombs. As for the canopy that was the last thing i did last night before i went to bed and when i woke up it had dried that way and i cant get it off to fix.

The main problem is that you used fuse extenders on your bombs. When you put 6 regular bombs on a MER, it isn't obvious when they are not aligned unless the viewer really studies the model. The fuse extenders draw attention to the misalignment like a neon sign. Play to your strengths - you want the people looking at the plane, as it has the great paint and decaling and really nice wash on it. If it was in a cleaner configuration, it would be seriously rocking.

Also, the bombs are not on the MER correctly - the outside bombs are attached at the crook, not at the outsidemost points. Here is a picture that shows the correct layout:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-oYD5kzDvIVLzV2evZe3PQ

Well having spent 4 years with the Phantoms (F-4J) I can say I like it. But as Toadwbg pointed out the obvious mistakes I can offer a few others.

The Speed-brakes in the well and inside the door should be painted red.

The nose gear doors are wrong- check your references.

The panel lines did not line up correctly on the leading edge wings making the antenna covers confusing to the eye and you have them brown- should be very dark red or flat black.

The oleo's should be polished stainless or chrome color as well as the other rams.

The Nav lights need to be painted in.

The aft end of the antenna fairing on the vertical should be painted flat black or as described for the other antenna covers.

The slime light details should have been removed.

The choices of payloads are unusual and a little misalinged.

Edited by TF51GREGWISE