Bomb question

Which would seem odd. M117's have a 14" lug suspension and I have only seen photo's of 'Saders carrying Mk 84's which have a 30" suspension.

I could be wrong. If I am. Please let me know.

Edited by Huey Gunner

They did carry M117's only 4 on a TER though I have read.

Could carry MK84 as well, only one per side. I have also seen rocket pods carried on the wing stations.

Not sure what these bombs are, also never seen an MMR carried before.

F-8E_VMFAW-235_DaNang_Apr1966.jpg

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

Great to read that I now know which type of bomb I have to paint!! Indeed its M-117 and that made it easy to find how to paint the bomb before going into storage for future use on other aircraft. Many many thanks!!

What kind of bombs are carried by the F-8 in the pics above? Going by the shape and fins, they don't look like the Mk 8x series to me.

Either 260-lb AN/M81 or 220-lb AN/M88 WWII vintage fragmentation bombs. (They're virtually impossible to tell apart as the former was made from 1" bar stock, while the latter used 13/16" bar stock. "Bomb shortage? No stinking bomb shortage here!"

BTW, on TERs M117s were carried as slant twos with the inboard TER station empty.

That's pretty cool: I had seen that picture before, but not this large and I hadn't noticed the EF-10 in the background before.

Cheers, Stefan.

Yes its a nice pic, I found it on the net, looks like that F-8 has been putting down a fair bit of 20mm as well

I am going to out 2000lb'ers on mine with daisy cutter fuses as they used these and would look good.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
Mike Campbell asked me to post drawing of the AN-M57A1 250-lb GP bomb to add to the discussion:

AN-M57A1.png

This is another viable option to what the bombs in the photograph may be.

Jim-

Where did you get that drawing? Being an ordnanceman, that stuff facinates me. Almost pop a chubby on that one.

Seeing al these replies I just wonder why we do still not have an sub furom for al kinds of systems, bombs, easy to find accurate info and how to improve the small parts of the loadout. Just an idea but would be very good.

and again BIG thanks to Jim and all others for giving this info!

:thumbsup::woot.gif:

Jim-

Where did you get that drawing? Being an ordnanceman, that stuff facinates me. Almost pop a chubby on that one.

Mike Campbell sent that along. He's in the sandbox at the moment. Those old ordnance manuals had some great artwork in them, not the inaccurate line drawings we get today.