Excellent Ken, I will be definitely follow this with great interest... especially because I am contemplating this build in my scale (1/144).

I think I can get proportions from photos pretty well but the actual size is still pretty tricky and there are so many differnt numbers out there. What basic

dimensions will you use for scaling down?

I used a span of 14.7m - converted to 21cm in 1:72 scale.

The ballpark seems to be 14.7m to 15m wingspan.

I just resized the drawings I have to that span - the length took care of itself.

It just about fits onto an A4 sheet of paper in plan.

Like I say, it won't be 100% accurate - but as close as some injection moulded kits on the market :bandhead2:

Cheers

Ken

Photos, Photos, photos, photos, photos, photos, photos!!

We want photos!

:o

OK! OK!...........

I have revised my first plan - the 'centroplane' is too flat at the leading edge - it slopes down on the real thing...

So I made a vertical side profile and cut it out from thick plastic card, then attached the flat 'centroplane' too it - minus the leading edge...

Pak%20fa%20004.jpg

I re-attached the leading edges - sloping down - then added thick plastic card cut to the top shape (which is essentially flat).

I have started to add the sloping side parts....

Pak%20fa%20005.jpg

The cockpit tub is from the Airfix Flanker - and the sides are now all 'planked in'....

Pak%20fa%20006.jpg

It all looks a bit F-117-ish - but once the parts are rounded off (I just hope the plastic is thick enough) - it should begin to take shape.

Then on with loads of Milliput........ :doh:

I'm making it up as I go along - cut and fit, revise, try again - I love this part.

Back to the grind....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Bit more............

I have added plastic card to the wing 'roots' - to create the sloping centre section.

Plus the upper engine nacelles - the white part is from an old Nakotne Flanker kit - the grey section (to make them longer) -is from a Revell Flanker.....

Pak%20fa%20007.jpg

Pak%20fa%20008.jpg

I think I may have to re-do those sloping sides on the front fuselage using thicker plastic card - so I can sand the corners to a 'rounded hexagon' section.

As it is now, I will be going through the plastic when I sand it properly.... :worship:

Ken

That's what I was thinking--either that, or back it up from the inside with milliput so there is something there WHEN you go through the plastic card.

Edited by MarkW

I've bitten the bullet.... and re-skinned the forward fuselage with thicker plastic card that will take the rough and tumble of rounding the edges of the hexagonal cross-section....

Pak%20fa%20009.jpg

Meanwhile.... I added the flat bottom surface - using thick plastic card...... I even remembered to open up the nosewheel well :angry:

Pak%20fa%20010.jpg

The sloping sides were added - and the gaps filled with Green Stuff.

Pak%20fa%20011.jpg

I have to get the centre undersides finished - before I can add the lower engine nacelles - temporarily in place here...

Pak%20fa%20012.jpg

I must remember to scribe in the weapons bay doors before adding those nacelles.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys and gals - it's appreciated.

I'm off now to purchase a dozen sheets of glasspaper..... :)

Ken

Edited by Flankerman