1/12 Mercury "Friendship 7"

First off, welcome to ARC. This is a great site with a lot of really friendly and helpful people.

Secondly, WOW!!! I've been kind of following your build on FSM site and now that I see it complete, I am just in AWE. Incredible work. An inspiration to say the least. I think when I finally decide to tackle the kit I have in my stash, I will probably use your model as a reference, maybe even more than the pics I can find of the real thing, it's that good of a build.

So, make yourself at home and be sure to post some more of these great builds here.

Bill

Thanks for the compliments and the welcome.

The main source material for this model is NASA's Mercury Familiarization Manual. It is essentially the "Chilton's" for the capsule, and offers detailed views of every component in the spacecraft. Of course, each capsule was different, modified according to previous mission experience, astronaut input (like the colors of the instrument panels), etc. so photographs are necessary. It is surprising how little there is of these historic vehicles.

There is even less available on the Vostok, which is something i want to build in 1/12. Planning is under way...

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Stunning. Just stunning.

Aside from all the impressive detail, you've absolutely nailed the distressed look of the exterior surfaces. I was fortunate enough to get a close look at Friendship 7 when it was at the JSC visitor's centre and you are spot on. Love the heat shield.

I've downloaded you .pd file and can't wait to read it. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Tony

Edit: It was actually Liberty Bell 7 that I saw at JSC. Nonetheless, my comment still stands!

Edited by tbell

Very impressive work all around, PDF presentation, photography, lighting, and of course modelling and painting. I perused a few of your other builds, equally as impressive as this Mercury. Being in the planning stages of my Shuttle build, I would welcome a similar PDF treatment of that build. The tiling and overall scale treatment is beautiful. What is on the workbench next for you? And please share in your future builds!