Hey Gents,

I want to show you the coolest new tool I have. I was approached by an App developer to help with the development and testing of a new application for these devices. This application is a scale converter for scale modelers, and is really slick.

As some of you may know from the "In Progress" thread, I am scratch building an AT-38 in 1/16th scale. To build this model I have multiple sources of drawings in multiple scales. Working with these drawings and converting dimensions off of them to 1/16th scale can be math intensive. Dealing with multiple scales has the potential for introducing errors if you screw up the math. Accomplishing the conversions is a breeze with this app however. If you don't do math in public like me-you'll love it..Plus, I can never remember the formulas anyway-Not to worry as this does the math quickly for you. Lastly, my workbench is pretty cluttered, with no room for my laptop. My Ipod takes up virtually zero space on the workbench..(plus I've got tunes!) All of the data is stored on my Ipod so I can refer to it later. Here's how it works:

Here's a look at the app on my ipod-Should look familiar as the graphics for this app are from Timmy's! drawings for my project-

SDC11409.jpg

Click on the app and you get this:

SDC11410.jpg

Tap the + sign in the upper right corner to start a new project. That opens a new screen where you can name the project, set the initial scale you need to convert from, the models final scale, and what type of units you are working with. For this demo I'll convert 1/32 scale drawings of the nose gear tire to 1/16th. I'll measure the 1/32 scale drawing in millimeters and have the app output in decimal inches:

SDC11411.jpg

Just type what you need. Any popular scale is available through the rotary wheel, from 1:2400 to 1:3. It includes "O" scale for the US, Germany, UK, and France, and where scales are commonly cross-referenced in mm (1/32=54mm) these are also selectable, so it has applications for all scale modeling, not just aircraft. Don't see what you need? No problem- you can type in a custom scale. Here I'm just rolling through the scales to select what I want:

SDC11414.jpg

My 32nd nose gear wheel I'll measure in millimeters, but have the app convert to 1/16th and give me decimal inches:

SDC11415.jpg

SDC11420.jpg

Here's a 1/32nd scale drawing of the nose wheel. Measure in millimeters-

SDC11422.jpg

Input the 1/32nd scale dimensions and convert to 1/16th scale:

SDC11423.jpg

My AT-38B project is saved on the Ipod. Any conversions I need can be named and saved under this project. Multiple named conversions and multiple projects can be saved:

SDC11419.jpg

Here's my nose gear tire conversion saved under the project heading of AT-38B so I can refer to it later.

SDC11424.jpg

I can take 1:1 dimensions and convert them to any scale. Another cool feature is the capability to email dimensions from your device .. So if for example, I'm at museum or airshow, I could take a measurement on the real jet, input that 1:1 measurement into the scale converter app on my device, and email it to whomever I want.

again, this will work with an I-phone or I-pod touchThe app is called ScaleConvert and is available from the ITunes store.

There will be those guys that will say "just do the math yourself" well, OK, but if you are like me-this project requires a lot of math, and I don't want to chance messing it up. This app will do it for ya quickly and correctly-every time.

Regards,

Pig

Edited by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann

Way cool Pete. Unfortunately I do not have an eye phone but a phone named after a small berry that is black in color. (Stupid SPAM filters)

There's also a scale conversion calculator for PC based applications you can load directly to your PC, called Scale-Calc. I use it fairly often, although it doesn't go into the same amount of detail this does, you can "size" different parts on the Scale Values tab. The Author is Frank Crenshaw and you can email him directly at:

crenshaw@bresnan.net .

Looking great on the Talon Pete.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking
Way cool Pete. Unfortunately I do not have an eye phone but a phone named after a small berry that is black in color. (Stupid SPAM filters)

There's also a scale conversion calculator for PC based applications you can load directly to your PC, called Scale-Calc. I use it fairly often, although it doesn't go into the same amount of detail this does, you can "size" different parts on the Scale Values tab. The Author is Frank Crenshaw and you can email him directly at:

crenshaw@bresnan.net .

Looking great on the Talon Pete.

Cheers

Mike

Frank is one of my favorite modelers! One of the The things I like about this app is the fact that the device it runs on fits on my bench. I don't have room for a laptop or PC on the bench, and I don't want to run upstairs every time I need to do a calculation-with this I don't have to. I don't have an eye-phone either...just an eye-pod. It works with that too.

Regards,

Pig

Is there a LITE version? LOL. It's $14.99 from eye-tunes...

I could use this out in the field while climbing around aircraft taking those measurements!

Not for everyone-I admit. But a single 35th scale ruler is $9.50!

scale ruler!

considering the fact that every single part I make for this has to be re-scaled, it's a bargain.

Pig

Wow. Amazing. It would take longer to program that in that it would to use a Dollar Store calculator to figure it out. Progress! :coolio:

J

Once it's set up, (which took about 30 seconds) It'll rip through the math. Good luck measuring in millimeters, converting the scale, and changing the output to fractional inches with a calculator from the dollar store. A scientific calculator that does fractions I'd still be willing to race!

Pig

Not for everyone-I admit. But a single 35th scale ruler is $9.50!

scale ruler!

considering the fact that every single part I make for this has to be re-scaled, it's a bargain.

Pig

Good point. I was going to buy a set of scale rulers and after doing the math (pun intended) it came out to over $40.00.

edited to remove proof I was a D student in english class

Edited by Huey Gunner

That is a cool toy. I have a calculator for contracting that does that type of stuff. Also have a calipers that convert mm, fractions etc.

Math is not that hard tho, Specially for 1/32 to 1/16. 1/32 (.375) is half the size of 1/16th (.75). So whatever your measurement is on the 1/32nd drawing-

just X it by 2 to get the measurement in 1/16th scale.

.75 / .375 = 2

Simple thing for those with a typical calculator is to laminate "Tape" typical formulas on the backside of the calculator.

1/72nd scale drawing measurement to 1/48th scale would X by 1.5.

Edited by Wayne S
That is a cool toy. I have a calculator for contracting that does that type of stuff. Also have a calipers that convert mm, fractions etc.

Math is not that hard tho, Specially for 1/32 to 1/16. 1/32 (.375) is half the size of 1/16th (.75). So whatever your measurement is on the 1/32nd drawing-

just X it by 2 to get the measurement in 1/16th scale.

.75 / .375 = 2

Simple thing for those with a typical calculator is to laminate "Tape" typical formulas on the backside of the calculator.

Yep- I agree that the 32 to 16th conversion is not that hard, I even wrote an article on scale conversion and detailed the math required.. but as I've said, I have a lot of math to do, typically with a unit conversion included. I hate math. With a project of this scope, why take the chance on a math error? I need the parts to fit, and that requires accurate calculations..This tool is a huge time-saver for me and gives me piece of mind that the math is correct.

Anyone who scratch builds on a large scale will recognize the utility of the application. Maybe not on these boards, but I suspect large scale R/C builders will really appreciate it.

Regards,

Pig

Yep- I agree that the 32 to 16th conversion is not that hard, I even wrote an article on scale conversion and detailed the math required.. but as I've said, I have a lot of math to do, typically with a unit conversion included. I hate math. With a project of this scope, why take the chance on a math error? I need the parts to fit, and that requires accurate calculations..This tool is a huge time-saver for me and gives me piece of mind that the math is correct.

Anyone who scratch builds on a large scale will recognize the utility of the application. Maybe not on these boards, but I suspect large scale R/C builders will really appreciate it.

Regards,

Pig

I hear yah bud. I know what your saying, putting it out there for others, really. One can never have enough tools, even tho to some people, tools like you have shown might not be thought of has tools.

Heck you brought up a 10 dollar ruler, I have a 100 some-odd$ ruler that reads in 64ths and 32nds of an inch. My calculator I use for carpentry/contracting stuff etc. is not cheap either.

-----------------------

Pig, did you ever think of having your drawings scaled to 1/16th scale?

Pig, did you ever think of having your drawings scaled to 1/16th scale?

Hey wayne,

Oh yeah-I've got plans drawn by Timmy! in 16th scale that are awesome. Even with that there is still a ton of stuff to scale up/down. everything from the width of a shoulder harness to the height of the control stick...

Regards,

Pig

Hey wayne,

Oh yeah-I've got plans drawn by Timmy! in 16th scale that are awesome. Even with that there is still a ton of stuff to scale up/down. everything from the width of a shoulder harness to the height of the control stick...

Regards,

Pig

Rgr that, must say that is one heck of a project you have going on :coolio:

Was talking to a freiend of mine who has the app..He told me he found another utility for it-converting units 1:1. I never thought of it, but if for example, you have decimal millimeters and need to convert to fractional feet & inches, just make both scales 1:1 and you are good-

Pig