Official "On This Day In Aviation History" Thread

February 7, 1946

First flight Republic's XF-12.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 8, 1918

The Army changed its aircraft insignia from the white star to concentric circles of red and blue around white.

February 8, 1988

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) claims that it retires an aircraft registration number¹ for the first time - that of Amelia Earhart's airplane, which disappeared over the Pacific in July 1937.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 9, 1969

First flight of the Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet airliner takes place in Seattle, Washington.

February 10, 1962

Francis Gary Powers, an American who was shot down over the Soviet Union while flying a CIA spy plane in 1960, is released by the Soviets.

February 10, 1994

Lt. Jeannie Flynn, the first woman selected for U.S. Air Force combat pilot training, completes training in an F-15E Eagle.

February 11, 1998

A B-1B dropped its first Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), a satellite guided conventional bomb.

February 12, 2006

Adventurer Steve Fossett completes the longest nonstop un-refueled solo flight in aviation history.

The flight lasted nearly 76 hours and logged a distance of over 26,000 miles.

Diverse events, thanks Jed ...

WOW !! These are fascinating facts this time around..

Is Steve Fossett the same gentleman that has disappeared when his aircrraft crashed and not yet being found.. :)

Thnak you for all the hard work Jed.

HOLMES :woo:

Holmes, some of Fossett's remains have been found and identified ...

Gregg

February 13, 1913

At the second British Aero Show in London, the world's first airplane specifically designed to carry a gun, 37-mm cannon on biplane, is displayed for the first time.

February 13, 2006

The 5,000th Boeing 737 comes off the production line. The 737 is the most-produced large commercial jet airplane in aviation history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 14, 1951

Republic F-84F with Wright J-65 Sapphire engine made first flight at Edwards AFB.

February 14, 1991

An unusual air-to-air incident occurred when pilots from the Fourth Tactical Fighter Wing of Seymour-Johnson AFB, North Carolina, shot down an Iraqi helicopter with a GBU-10 laser-guided bomb dropped from their F-15E Strike Eagle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 15, 1975

The first pre-production A-10 completed its initial flight at Edwards AFB, California.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 16, 1960

The Vought F8U-2N Crusader interceptor makes its maiden flight in Dallas, Texas.

February 16, 1996

Lockheed Martin celebrated a major milestone in C-130 history, when the company assembled its last "H" model to end a 32-year production run.

Diverse events, thanks Jed ...

Holmes, some of Fossett's remains have been found and identified ...

Gregg

OMG ! :bandhead2: I did not realize that his remains have been found...so was it an aircraft failure or was it a human error in his case?

Thank you for the update.

February 13, 1913

At the second British Aero Show in London, the world's first airplane specifically designed to carry a gun, 37-mm cannon on biplane, is displayed for the first time.

February 13, 2006

The 5,000th Boeing 737 comes off the production line. The 737 is the most-produced large commercial jet airplane in aviation history.

February 14, 1951

Republic F-84F with Wright J-65 Sapphire engine made first flight at Edwards AFB.

February 14, 1991

An unusual air-to-air incident occurred when pilots from the Fourth Tactical Fighter Wing of Seymour-Johnson AFB, North Carolina, shot down an Iraqi helicopter with a GBU-10 laser-guided bomb dropped from their F-15E Strike Eagle.

February 15, 1975

The first pre-production A-10 completed its initial flight at Edwards AFB, California.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 16, 1960

The Vought F8U-2N Crusader interceptor makes its maiden flight in Dallas, Texas.

February 16, 1996

Lockheed Martin celebrated a major milestone in C-130 history, when the company assembled its last "H" model to end a 32-year production run.

Jed

Some really awesome facts ... WOW !!!

Thank you

HOLMES :bandhead2:

February 17, 1965

The last operational KB-50 retired from Tactical Air Command to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.

February 17, 1978

The 64th Flying Training Wing, Reese AFB, Texas, became the first Air Training Command pilot training base with a fully operational instrument flight simulator program, which allowed training for both the T-37 and T-38.

February 18, 1973

Daniel Bouchart and Didier Potelle land 19,568 feet up on the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania in an SA 319 B Alouette II helicopter.

February 18, 1981

American aircraft designer Jack Northrop died.

February 19, 1962

Maj. Walter F. Daniel flew the T-38 Talon to four time-to-climb records at Edwards AFB, California, 1.86 miles in 35.62 seconds; 3.72 miles in 51.429 seconds; 5.58 miles in 64.76 seconds; and 7.44 miles in 95.74 seconds.

February 19, 1982

The first Boeing 757 takes to the air on its maiden flight.

February 20, 1942

Lt. Edward O'Hare takes off from the aircraft carrier Lexington and minutes later becomes America's first flying ace.

O'Hare shot down five Japanese G4M1 bombers while piloting an F4F Wildcat.

February 20, 1948

U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command receives its first B-50 Superfortress bomber.

February 20, 1972

A 57th Air Rescue and Recovery Service aircrew flew an HC-130 8,732.09 miles from Chung Chuan Kang AB, Taiwan, to Scott AFB, Illinois, without refueling, in 21 hours, and 12 minutes to set a nonstop straight-line distance record for turbo-prop aircraft.

February 21, 1951

An RAF Canberra B Mk 2 becomes the first jet aircraft to make a non-stop transatlantic flight.

February 21, 1995

Steve Fossett lands in Leader, Saskatchewan, Canada, becoming the first person to make a solo flight across the Pacific Ocean in a balloon.

February 21, 2001

An RQ-1 Predator fired a Hellfire missile at a tank at Nellis AFB, Nevada.

It became the first unmanned aerial vehicle to destroy a ground target.

February 22, 1928

Australian Bert Hinkler lands at Fanny Bay in Darwin, Australia after 11,000-mile solo flight from England. He is the first to make such a trip, setting four other new records: longest solo flight, longest light plane flight, first nonstop flight from London to Rome and fastest journey from Britain to India.

February 22, 1991

U.S. announces that F-15s of 33rd TFW have downed 15 Iraqi aircraft.

February 23, 1984

Tactical Air Command received its first F-15C Eagle as a replacement for the F-4 Phantom in the air superiority role.

And that's it gentlemen!

One year of aviation facts.

I hope you all have enjoyed the facts as much as I have posting them.

JED

JED

Thank you for the past year..I have enjoyed it very much and I appreciate your hard work and fact finding mission..

Will you continue as I LOVE this thread...

Again THANK YOU very much... :lol: ;)

HOLMES :tease:

• 2 weeks later...
JED

are you not going to continue with this... :thumbsup:

Holmes,

I'm afraid not....I'm hanging up my hat.

In reality, I've covered all 365 days of the year. Not much more I could post on some of the days without duplicating the same facts.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, but I only felt it would last one full year.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Sometimes I wondered if people were even reading this thread.

It was fun, but I'm going to have to let another brave soul continue it on their own, should they choose to.

JED

Holmes,

I'm afraid not....I'm hanging up my hat.

In reality, I've covered all 365 days of the year. Not much more I could post on some of the days without duplicating the same facts.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, but I only felt it would last one full year.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Sometimes I wondered if people were even reading this thread.

It was fun, but I'm going to have to let another brave soul continue it on their own, should they choose to.

JED

JED

Oh I certainly read them all ..Maybe I may have not remembered them all but the thread is always here to go

back and glean from....You did a great job and I did thoroughly enjoy the thread and the facts..

,,,,,Some were way before MY time and some after MY time of birth so

it has been very informative.Again THNAK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD work and I do think

those that never read missed a good thread...

Maybe Gregg might take this on borad >>.Hint hint... :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

Hav a good day and see you later as I go to work now..

HOLMES :salute:

Edited by HOLMES

Just checked back to 5 March last year, and I fear you missed one, but in 2011 it's even more significant as it's the 75th anniversary - I cannot believe that no-one else has mentioned the first flight of the most iconic fighter ever, the Spitfire (even on a "colonial" forum ;) :cheers: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-12655848

Edited by MikeC
  • 1 month later...

150 years ago today the Confederate Air Force dropped the first bombs on Ft. Sumter starting the Civil War, or the "War of Northern Aggression" as it known around these parts! :) <---Whistlin' Dixie!!

Edited by Scott Smith
150 years ago today the Confederate Air Force dropped the first bombs on Ft. Sumter starting the Civil War, or the "War of Northern Aggression" as it known around these parts! :thumbsup: <---Whistlin' Dixie!!

well I learn something new every day ! :)

Edited by HOLMES
50 years ago today YURI GAGARIN made history...He was ONLY 27 on this day APRIL 12th 1961 when he went into space,,...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/...nniversary.html

HOLMES :)

On this day in Aviation 30 years ago John Young and Bob Crippen rode Columbia into orbit for a two day flight test of the shuttle's systems and made history. It was probably the boldest gamble in space and aviation history as prior to that point, nobody had ever flown manned on the very first test of a new rocket system, let alone spacecraft (certainly one not as complicated as shuttle). Indeed they dodged a few bullets on the way up as a slight mis-timing of the SRB ignition caused hidden damage in portions of the orbiter and the acoustics of the engines also vibrated portions of the stack as well due to inadequite water dampening on the pad. But, Columbia performed as advertised.

• 2 weeks later...

April 22ND 1500....Portugese Navigator PEDRO ALVARES CABRAL became the first European to sight BRAZIL.

APRIL 22ND 1809....The secind day of BATTLE OF ECKMUHL: The AUSTRIAN Army is defeated

by the Fisrt French Empire Ary led by NAPOLEAN I OF FRANCE ad driven over the Danube at Regensburg..

APRIL 22ND 1836....Texas Revolution : A day after the battle of Jacinto,Forces under Texas General, SAM HOUSTON,

capture Mexican General ANTONIO LOPEZ de SANTA ANNA.

APRIL 22ND 1944....WORLD WAR II, OPERATION PERSECUTION is initiated.Allied forces land in HOLLANDIA { Currently known as JAYAPURA}

area of New Guniea.

APRIL 22nd 2008....The UNITED STATES AIR FORCE retires the remaining F-117 NIGHTHAWK aircraft in service..

APRIL 22ND 2010....DEEPWATER HORIZON, an oil rig owned by BPand Transocean sinks to the bottom of the GULF OF MEXICO

after having a blowout two days earlier. The well then created the largest oil spill in U.S History by constantly gushing oil

through the damaged wellhead.

Edited by HOLMES

Nice additions, Jay and Holmes ...

I remember the Columbia Launch quite well ...

I was in the 8th grade and would rush home every day from school to hear if it went up ...

Gregg