Official "On This Day In Aviation History" Thread

B-1 Nut..

I did wonder how EDWARDS AFB got its name and now I know...How sad that he was killed but he will never be forgotten I guess. :monkeydance:

I see quite a few ladies feature in your Aviation History and sometimes WE all forget that there were some real pretty courageous women who were also

part of this Aviation History that shapes how we fly, etc.... :tease:

Thank you

HOLMES

Yeah, the Edwards AFB name origin was fairly famous for those that grew up in Southern California ...

More so than many of the other local bases ...

And Women's roles in Aviation History are more important than many want to give credit for ...

Keep the facts coming, B-1 Nut ! :monkeydance:

Most enjoyable ...

Gregg

June 7, 1912

With Lt. Roy Kirtland flying a Wright B, Capt. Charles D. Chandler became the first person to fire a machine gun from an airplane in the U.S.

June 7, 1989

A C-5 set a world record by airdropping four Sheridan armed reconnaissance vehicles, weighing 42,000 pounds each, and 73 fully combat-equipped paratroopers.

The total weight reached 190,346 pounds.

June 8, 1921

First flight of a U.S. Army Air Service pressurized cabin airplane, an USD-9A aircraft piloted by Lt. Harold R. Harris. This allows flying beyond the "comfortable" breathing altitude of about 8,000 feet.

June 8, 1953

The Thunderbirds, officially known as the 3600th Air Demonstration Flight, gave their first performance at Luke AFB, Arizona.

June 8, 1962

The U. S. Air Force ejected Zena, a chimpanzee, from a B-58 flying at 45,000 feet at 1,060 mph to test an escape capsule.

USAF W/0 E. J. Murray had been first man ejected in the capsule on February 28, at speed of 565 mph.

June 8, 1971

The U.S. Air Force and Navy signed a joint agreement to develop the AIM-9L, Short Range Missile for the F-15.

June 9, 1961

Delivery of the first C-135 StratoLifter jet cargo aircraft marks the beginning of modernization of Military Air Transport Service's former all-propeller-driven fleet.

June 9, 1974

The first flight of Northrop YF-17 experimental lightweight fighter is made.

June 10, 1953

The final experimental test flight for the turbojet powered #3 Douglas D-558-I Skystreak is flown by A. Scott Crossfield.

June 10, 1969

U.S. Air Force Systems Command gave the number one X-15 rocket-powered, manned research aircraft to the Smithsonian Institution for display.

June 10, 1974

Northrop's YF-17 achieved Mach 1.1 at Edwards AFB, California, without using its afterburner.

This marked the first time this feat had ever been performed by a U.S. Aircraft.

June 10, 1953

The final experimental test flight for the turbojet powered #3 Douglas D-558-I Skystreak is flown by A. Scott Crossfield.

June 10, 1969

U.S. Air Force Systems Command gave the number one X-15 rocket-powered, manned research aircraft to the Smithsonian Institution for display.

June 10, 1974

Northrop's YF-17 achieved Mach 1.1 at Edwards AFB, California, without using its afterburner.

This marked the first time this feat had ever been performed by a U.S. Aircraft.

WOW !!! :thumbsup:

June 12, 1972

At Edwards AFB, California, Maj. Buzz Lynch became the first U.S. Air Force pilot to fly the A-10A.

June 12, 1979

The first man-powered aircraft to cross the English Channel is the Gossamer Albatross, designed and built under the leadership of Paul MacCready.

June 12, 1972

At Edwards AFB, California, Maj. Buzz Lynch became the first U.S. Air Force pilot to fly the A-10A.

June 12, 1979

The first man-powered aircraft to cross the English Channel is the Gossamer Albatross, designed and built under the leadership of Paul MacCready.

Gosh I thought it may have taken place far more earlier with all the

attempts the English and the French tried from both sides. since the Wright Bros.were about.

Thanks B-1 Nut with all these wonderful out of the ordinary aviation facts..

Thank you..HOLMES

[/b]

Gosh I thought it may have taken place far more earlier with all the

attempts the English and the French tried from both sides. since the Wright Bros.were about.

Thanks B-1 Nut with all these wonderful out of the ordinary aviation facts..

Thank you..HOLMES

I distinctly remember that event, I was just about to turn 12 and remember watching it on tv ...

It was so cool to see, the aircraft looked so delicate, it really was too ...

Gregg

I distinctly remember that event, I was just about to turn 12 and remember watching it on tv ...

It was so cool to see, the aircraft looked so delicate, it really was too ...

Gregg

You were lucky !!!!Good for you!!! :whistle::woot.gif:

June 13, 1950

U.S. Department of Defense assigned range responsibilities to the armed services:

Army: White Sands, New Mexico, Proving Ground and nearby Holloman Air Force Base at Alamogordo

Navy: Point Mugu, California

Air Force: Long-Range Proving Groud at Banana River, Florida. (now called Cape Canaveral)

June 13, 1962

Capt. Richard H. Coan USAF established a new world's record for a helicopter distance flight over a closed course.

Flying an H-43B Huskie 656.258 miles.

June 14, 1912

Cpl. Vernon Burge became the U.S. Army's first enlisted pilot.

June 14, 1919

The first direct non-stop crossing of the Atlantic by airplane is made by Capt. John Alcock and Lt. Arthur Whitten-Brown in a Vickers Vimy bomber from St. Johns, Newfoundland to Clifden, Ireland.

They fly some 1,950 miles in 16 hours, and 27 minutes.

June 14, 1991

Following the volcanic eruption of Mount Pinatubo, the U.S. Air Force conducted the largest U.S. airlift evacuation since the Vietnam War.

The U.S. Air Force evacuated more than 18,000 people to safety via C-5s, C-130s, and C-141s.

June 15, 1785

Jean-François Pilatre de Rozier died in attempt to cross English Channel in an apparatus composed of two balloons, one filled with hydrogen and the other with warm air. Thus, he was also the first man to die in an air crash.

June 15, 1943

First flight, first operational jet-bomber, the German-built Arado Ar-234 Blitz (Lightning).

Wikipedia's Ar 234 History

Cybermodeler Ar 234 walkaround

June 16, 1936

Seversky Aircraft Company received a contract to build P-35s for the U.S. Army.

It was the Army's first single-seat fighter with a closed cockpit and retractable landing gear.

Wikipedia's P-35 History

June 16, 1941

Consolidated's B-24 Liberator entered the Air Corps inventory.

June 16, 1959

The first F-105s arrived at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina.

June 16, 1963

Soviets launch first woman into space. Lieutenant Valentina Tereshkova,

A former textile worker from the Soviet Union, became the first woman in space.

June 16, 1936

Seversky Aircraft Company received a contract to build P-35s for the U.S. Army.

It was the Army's first single-seat fighter with a closed cockpit and retractable landing gear.

Wikipedia's P-35 History

June 16, 1941

Consolidated's B-24 Liberator entered the Air Corps inventory.

June 16, 1959

The first F-105s arrived at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina.

June 16, 1963

Soviets launch first woman into space. Lieutenant Valentina Tereshkova,

A former textile worker from the Soviet Union, became the first woman in space.

You kidding... ..That is just so amazing.... :taunt::taunt:

June 17, 1955

The first flight of the passenger jetliner Tupolev TU-104.

Tu-104 becomes the first passenger jetliner regularly used by airlines. The Tu-104 was the sole jetliner operating in the world between 1956 and 1958.

June 17, 1959

The first of the Dassault Mirage IV, the first European supersonic jet bomber, is made in France.

June 17, 1967

China became the fourth country to test a thermonuclear weapon² after the United States, Soviet Union and the United Kingdom.

June 18, 1861

Thaddeus S. C. Lowe transmits the first telegraphic message ever sent from a balloon during a test at the Columbia Armory, Washington, D.C.

June 18, 1957

U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command placed the KC-135 Stratotanker into service.

June 18, 1981

First flight of the F-117A Nighthawk at the U.S. Air Force's top secret Groom Lake facility--the infamous "Area 51" in southern Nevada.

June 18, 2001

At McGuire AFB, New Jersey, Senior Master Sgt. Jere Garvin, a 2nd Air Refueling Squadron flight engineer, reached 10,000 flying hours.

His 24-year career included flying time in C-130s, C-141s, the E-3 Sentry, and KC-10 Extender in more than 2,400 sorties. On this date, Garvin was the only active-duty flight engineer to reach the milestone.

June 18, 1861

Thaddeus S. C. Lowe transmits the first telegraphic message ever sent from a balloon during a test at the Columbia Armory, Washington, D.C.

June 18, 1957

U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command placed the KC-135 Stratotanker into service.

June 18, 1981

First flight of the F-117A Nighthawk at the U.S. Air Force's top secret Groom Lake facility--the infamous "Area 51" in southern Nevada.

June 18, 2001

At McGuire AFB, New Jersey, Senior Master Sgt. Jere Garvin, a 2nd Air Refueling Squadron flight engineer, reached 10,000 flying hours.

His 24-year career included flying time in C-130s, C-141s, the E-3 Sentry, and KC-10 Extender in more than 2,400 sorties. On this date, Garvin was the only active-duty flight engineer to reach the milestone.

I don't suppose that record has been broken yet... :whistle::whistle:

June 19, 1944

American pilots shot down 476 Japanese aircraft in a battle known as "The Marianas Turkey Shoot" through June 20.

The U.S. lost 130 planes in the exchange.

June 19, 1947

Col. Albert Boyd set a world speed record of 623.8 mph, flying an XP-80R jet airplane over a three-kilometer course at Muroc Field, California.

Wikipedia's P-80 Shooting Star History

June 19, 2006

The first Lockheed-Martin C-5M test aircraft made its first flight at Edwards AFB, California.

June 19, 1944

American pilots shot down 476 Japanese aircraft in a battle known as "The Marianas Turkey Shoot" through June 20.

The U.S. lost 130 planes in the exchange.

I bet that one helluva a scary scene for both sides....going to have look this one up as I dont know much about this..thank you

'HOLMES

June 19, 1947

Col. Albert Boyd set a world speed record of 623.8 mph, flying an XP-80R jet airplane over a three-kilometer course at Muroc Field, California.

Wikipedia's P-80 Shooting Star History

June 19, 2006

The first Lockheed-Martin C-5M test aircraft made its first flight at Edwards AFB, California.

ED AFB seems quite popular for being first in almost everything....

Edited by HOLMES