Best route to make an 1/32 IDF F-4E?

Personally, I would start with the Revell kit myself. It might have some minor shape issues compared to Tamiya, but it does have the slatted wing OOB meaning really only the slotted stabilizers are needed for it so it should be the easiest path to conversion. Trying to kitbash with a Tamiya sounds like a potential for disaster and while I haven't heard bad things about CAM's slatted wing conversion set, I typically like to work in styrene plastic whenever possible.

Of course, you could also just build the Tamiya kit as is to represent an early IAF F-4E from either the war of attrition or the Yom Kippur war, since those are the engagements where the Rhino earned its reputation in the middle east.

Least expensive and easiest: Revell F-4E with AMS Resin nose

Better-looking (IMHO) and a little more difficult: Tamiya F-4E with Revell slat parts added to Tamiya wings, Revell afterburner nozzles combined with Tamiya's (Revell's are correct size, Tamiya's are too small), and Revell F-15-style centerline drop tank (if required)

Like Dave says, CAM's slats are missing one of the actuators.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
Grrrr.....out of stock....looks like a nice option though.

Hannants is currently closed as they're having a complete revamp of the website and premises - so everything is 'out of stock' at the moment. Give it a couple of days to sort everything out and I'm sure they magically re-appear :)

I tried ordering that set and was told that they were out of stock and that I should try reordering at a later date.

I got a set of the CE Israeli F4's and I will be starting my RF4E and my F4E shortly.

Mike

Another thing we need to know is what time frame do you want to depict your F-4, If you decide to do an early one you wont have to stress the slatted wing, and refuelling probe.

Curt

Another thing we need to know is what time frame do you want to depict your F-4, If you decide to do an early one you wont have to stress the slatted wing, and refuelling probe.

Curt

So I can just use a Tamiya F-4E, out of box, and call it accurate?

I was kind of interested in this too. I have the Revell F-4E with nose correction, but try as I might I can't find any decals for it. Is ANYONE doing IDF F-4E decals these days?

Hey Deadmeat,

Try those guy's, got my set from them end the quality from Sky's Decals are impressive and full Hebrew stencil too..

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=SD-32009

Dan.

Hey Deadmeat,

Try those guy's, got my set from them end the quality from Sky's Decals are impressive and full Hebrew stencil too..

Dan.

Man but that would be cool. If I recall though, this set is for the Kurnass 2000 conversion of the F-4E. Any thoughts on how hard it would be to scratch build the refueling probe? Do you know if any of the marking schemes allow for a Kurnass without the probe???

Edited by deadmeat
Man but that would be cool. If I recall though, this set is for the Kurnass 2000 conversion of the F-4E. Any thoughts on how hard it would be to scratch build the refueling probe? Do you know if any of the marking schemes allow for a Kurnass without the probe???

It isn't really. It includes markings for the Kurnass 2000 prototype, but the numbers, insignia, and stencils can be used for any number of IAF F-4Es

It isn't really. It includes markings for the Kurnass 2000 prototype, but the numbers, insignia, and stencils can be used for any number of IAF F-4Es

Sweet! I think I could scratch build the probe but it would be mucho easier to do just a straight F-4E with the Revell boxing (it has the correct slatted wings, etc). Looks like this set is what I'm looking for.

THANKS!

So I can just use a Tamiya F-4E, out of box, and call it accurate?

Sure can, Israel started receiving F-4's in 1969, the slat wing mod did not start till 1971-2 and was completed in 1978, the IDF/AF received over 100+ a/c with hard wings. The War of Attrition was fought with Hard wing F-4's. So anything depicted from that War/ Era should be a "Hard-wing" A/C.

I've found a picture of the refuelling probe on an A/C dated 1973, but I have also found A/C without it in 1980's, so it seems it dose not have to be a must have, unless your research of your particular airframe has it.

Curt

Hey Deadmeat,

Dan.

The only problem I see with the sheet-the Orange Tail sqn. badge is misprinted.The middle black line is printed too low,so it merges with the lower.

Otherwise-fine sheet.

Isaac