The cabin looks awesome with the seats!!

I'm still looking for a way of producing about 30 1:48th seats for a DC-3. I've got the civil Monogram kit which has a cabin floor with seats moulded on it, but there aren't enough of them and they don't have the right shape and configuration for the aircraft I want to represent. Oh, and I'm not going to start about the print I have to paint on them :rolleyes:

http://www.dutchdakota.nl/imguser/product/...king_AFT_01.jpg

Thank you Jelle and Frank, for your comments.

I have a little update regarding the cockpit windows.

Since there were scratches in the plastic (not outside, nor inside), I removed the side windows and rebuilt them to be slid back positioned

24_cptw.jpg

Cockpit test fit: no go! Lot of adjusting in front of me

25_cptfus.jpg

At this point I have to stop putting parts together and start drawing the artwork for the decals. Not so difficult except for the nose – loved and hated Alitalia pentagram livery.

Regards

Euge

edited for typo

Edited by 72linerlover
How did you cut out the side windows out that neat? Transparent plastic is quite hard and brittle so when I try such a thing the glass shatters between my fingers :P

Yes..... inquiring minds want to know! :D

Hi Jelle and Randie.

It's not that difficult. Your main weapon is patience.

I start protecting the part with transparent tape – both sides. Than:

- drill a 1 mm hole in the middle ow the window you are going to cut: hand drilling absolutely.

- second pass with 2 mm

- remove the tapes

- use a round file and start milling, enlarging the hole

- use various shaped files until you are satisfied.

Of course this is applicable only if you throw away the cutouts.

The windows you see in the pic are not the cutouts; they are made of thin transparent styrene.

Regards

Euge

Thanks, Euge! :blink:

I just bought another DC-6B..... still sealed..... in excellent condition..... $20.00! It is from an estate of a gentleman who recently passed away and his widow is having the owner of my Hobby Town sell off his kit collection. There are more but, John only had her bring in what he thought would sell. I told him to check and see what civilian aircraft kits there are adn I just may be interested in them all. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

While attempting to start applying the strips on the model, I realized that it was impossible to get the correct shape without the cockpit installed. So I started gluing and reconstructing the frames. They still need some finishing.

26_frontdecal.jpg

Once copied the traces on tape, I scanned it and put the resulting image as background of a cad drawing.

If I had a 3D model of the fuselage, it would have been easier, so I tried that rough way.

This is the result that I'll test in the next days.

27_front_left.jpg

Regards

Euge

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo.

Little update today.

I discovered that the main tire of the CL-215/415 waterbombers are the same size of the front one of the DC-7C. Also the hub is similar, so I made one mold of the external side and cast two.

28_front_wheel_1.jpg

The halves are glued together

29_front_wheel_2.jpg

and the thread is scribed. It needs some filling.

30_front_wheel_3.jpg

Meanwhile, the wing is primed

31_r_wing.jpg

I am currently working on flaps and ailerons.

Regards

Euge

Thank you for your comments, guys.

Hope some manufacturer picks up on it! :wave:

It happened that some manufacturers made a kit, right when I finished converting or scratchbuilding a model. A long time ago Matchbox issued the G-91Y, Pioneer2 a Tucano and, more recently, some other a Blanik. Hopefully someone will make a 1/72 7C. So if you need a new subject, let me know: I'm sure that after I will have made, it will be issued, if this is my destiny.

By that I mean the work is so good that there's no mistake.

I have no doubt there are mistakes and hopefully someone of you will point them out when I'll be on time to recover.

One I discovered is that the pax windows are too low (at least 1mm), but I noticed when it was too late and probably I wouldn't have corrected though. This will cause problems with the livery both in the cockpit and in the tailplane areas. Anyway, also this is modeling.

Regards

Euge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

In the last week I worked on the wing and moveable parts.

From top to bottom:

fully modified flaps with the internal added sections (in white)

ailerons with trims

tailplanes

32_flap_ail_tailp.jpg

Master for main gear doors and vacuformed parts

33_vacdoors.jpg

34_doors.jpg

Test fit of the gear doors

35_test_doors.jpg

Gear doors test in opened position

36_detview.jpg

Thanks for watching

Euge

Thank you mates, for the comments.

That doors are so thin because they have to be completed inside with a boxed structure. I am investigating how they really are. As far as I know they were used as airbrakes too, so they need to be stronger as in the DC-6. Hope to be ready for some update next week.

Regards

Euge

I'm blown away by this project. with some fantastic memories attached...why you may ask, because in 1984 I was involved in a group who took on the a slighter larger project..we took on the full size thing.

The DC7C G-AOIE ex Schriener, ex B Cal, delivered to BOAC in 1956 was taken from the fire training ground dismantled and brough by road to Waterford..approx 80 miles and then began restoration.

She was eventually finished in the B CAL scheme but due the Airport wanting the land back and corrosion setting in, no funs the first twenty feet or so was saved, the remained scrapped. It still exist in Dromrod Railway museum in County Leitrim in Ireland.

I gave about 10 years with the group primarily involve working on the' 7' and learned about 'real aeroplanes' from there Seven Seas were possibly one of the most beautiful airliners of all time. to see one finished in 1/72 scale will be awesome.

I've cheated a little as I went out today and Bought F Resins 7C in 1/144th scale..not usually my type of model but as it has both BOAC options I've got to have it.

Haven't many photographs of the seven when restored , don't think of these things at the time but I do have some remember a lot of the finer details as once you've built the thing for real you don't forget.

the earlier &C were delivered with a 55 seater configuartion with sleeper accommadation later reonfigure to 102.

G- AOIE was used for Queen Elizabeths foreign tour in 1957 and was out of service as a result for most of that year.She was the only one that wasn't converted to a freighter eventually and thus ended up In Shannon in 1974 and lay there impounded due to non payment of landing fees.

Keep up the great job..impressive doesn't even come near what you are doing.