Thanks, Kevin

I tried last night, but every time I remove a blade, the plasticine deforms a little. I'll try something similar out of styrene, following your useful tip.

Euge

Its nice to help a fellow modeller, as they say you have to try these things even if they do not work

Good day, sirs.

So, this is what I did. Based on Kevin's advise, I chose a pitch, made the support for the first blade, adjusted in height. Rotating the hub I will find the same conditions for the further blades. Seems to work.

44_prop_jig.jpg

@ homerojr, thanks for your kind words.

Regards

Euge

• 2 weeks later...
Good day, sirs.

So, this is what I did. Based on Kevin's advise, I chose a pitch, made the support for the first blade, adjusted in height. Rotating the hub I will find the same conditions for the further blades. Seems to work.

44_prop_jig.jpg

@ homerojr, thanks for your kind words.

Regards

Euge

that is a damn good idea, added to the mental filing cabinet

• 1 month later...

So, my friends, after a long period of other works to attend to, I am back to this project.

I managed to rescribe the wing and to prepare other parts like the little slotted surfaces for the flaps and those little fairings for the actuators.

Template for rescribing the lower wing surface

45_scr_lo_w.jpg

Upper right wing rescribed and assembly test

47_det_up_w.jpg

Ailerons hinges seem to be on the right place

48_det_hing_ail_l.jpg

49_det_hing_ail_r.jpg

General view

50_all_w_flap.jpg

Wing and fuselage seem to be OK together

51_test.jpg

I am leaving next Friday for a two weeks holiday in Austria. See you in September. Thanks for watching

Regards

Euge

Nice seeing you again Euge,

Absolutely stunning work you're doing here... I've said it before but I'll say it again, this type of work is a dying art; too many aftermarket alternatives now days, but no amount of aftermarket can replace the sheer joy of fabricating material with your hands! Outstanding!!

Look forward to seeing the updates... have a great trip! :nanner:

Take care,

Frank

Hi all, Joined ARC just because of this--was Googling for DC-7 info. I have at least 10 Heller 6Bs/C-118s, mostly from daydreaming about conversions. Flew on Eastern N836D last weekend---first flight on anything was a Delta DC-7.

This is a great job and Euge's work is fantastic.

One note about a comment (speed brakes): actually the main landing gear was the speed brake. Prop-liners descended at a shallow rate. As the later models had higher service ceiling, Douglas came up with the idea in order to reduce the time the passengers were in turbulent air. So the doors were open but that was so the gear could be down. Nose gear stayed up. I've seen a film but will have to check--I think it's on a DVD but check around.

Great job Euge!

One of my gliding club mates is a former SABENA chief pilot with many hours on DC-7C. It's always a pleasure to hear him telling anecdotes about it especially the complxity of the engines and the way to destroy them by bad handling.

I flew in it two times in chilhood when coming back from Congo. Still fascinating bird;

YOUR MODEL IS TRULY BEAUTIFUL! Keep it that way and I look forward to see it completed

Bob

• 1 month later...

Thanks you all friends for the comments.

Just a quick update regarding the horizontal tailplanes

Once adjusted the thickness difference between the tailplanes and their farings in the fuselage and glued in, I made the hinges for the movable surfaces.

52_tp_brass.jpg

I was afraid that a piece of plastic could have been too weak, so I drilled three little holes, glued inside a piece of brass rod, than covered on both sides with thin strips styrene.

53_tp_cov_top.jpg

54_tp_cov_bo.jpg

55_tp_test.jpg

The parts stay in place without glue, so I think they are ok, from a dimensional point of view.

Thanks for watching

Regards

Euge

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some would call your attention to detail "rivet counting", but I consider it a classic example of old-school scratch/conversion work. Excellent work and very inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Regards,

Stew

Hi, mates.

Actually I've never considered myself a "rivet counter" and I don't like excessive detailing. I just try to make decent models so that, when I look at them on my shelf, I can't say: I could have done it better, but I haven't.

As for scratch building, in this case there wasn't alternative and, I admit, it makes fun. You know, I choose the subjects for my projects in an emotional way, and in several cases there aren't kits (normally they come on the market when I have almost finished, but this is another story).

I really hope to have more time for modeling: more than those 2 or 3 hours a week to bring to the end this project.

I owe it you, my friends, since the big motivation you all give to me.

Thank you.

Euge

Hallo.

I was lucky last week having time to attach the oil coolers.

57_oilc_lw_01.jpg

It took a lot of time filling and smoothing because of the bad fit of resin parts, but I have to complain only with myself.

56_oilc_01.jpg

The small oil cooler flaps seem to fit better.

58_oilc_02.jpg

Bye

Euge

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, friends.

Although it could seem impossible, I have got to get back to this project, after another little build for the "On Canadian Wings" GB.

Here some pics from the past month works, regarding the engines, the propellers and the decal.

engines, propeller blades, spinners, noses, cowlings

60_engine_prop_parts_01.jpg

engine and cowling

62_eng_cowl_01.jpg

63_det_eng_01.jpg

test assembly of the first propeller

64_prop_mont_01.jpg

the decal artwork

65_01_decal.jpg

and some testing here and there.

65_test_dec_nose_01.jpg

66_test_dec_tail_01.jpg