• 1 month later...

Decaling time!

That doesn't mean that I am near to finish the model, but the decals have to be on, at this stage.

The only way to get things straight and symmetrical was to make some mirrored templates.

76_decaling_01.jpg

It seems to have worked on both sides.

77_decaling_02.jpg

78_decaling_03.jpg

79_decaling_04.jpg

80_decaling_05.jpg

Hopefully, during the next Christmas holidays, I'll get the decaling done.

Merry Christmas

Euge

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank you all, mates, for your kind words.

The project has been sitting for some reasons.

I have worked more for my modeling association than for my models.

Besides, I learned once more that if a friend promises to do something for you, you have to be prepared to do it by yourselves.

An auto modeler, that is really clever in brass soldering, promised me to built metal gear legs for the DC-7, since she is heavy, but in six months he did nothing.

So I am making some tests to get there.

Regards

Euge

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all, mates, for your kind words.

The project has been sitting for some reasons.

I have worked more for my modeling association than for my models.

Besides, I learned once more that if a friend promises to do something for you, you have to be prepared to do it by yourselves.

An auto modeler, that is really clever in brass soldering, promised me to built metal gear legs for the DC-7, since she is heavy, but in six months he did nothing.

So I am making some tests to get there.

Regards

Euge

You could try taking your plastic landing gear minus the wheels to a local jewelry store who do their own casting and see if they might cast them up in brass or bronze even silver if need be(all about the same price). The plastic acts just like the wax they use for making rings, etc. I have done this before and works really well.

You could try taking your plastic landing gear minus the wheels to a local jewelry store who do their own casting and see if they might cast them up in brass or bronze even silver if need be(all about the same price). The plastic acts just like the wax they use for making rings, etc. I have done this before and works really well.

That's a good idea, but since the main legs are slightly taller, I'll take the chance to correct them.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Euge

• 1 year later...

Hi, airliner enthusiasts.

After a long pause on this project, but not on modeling, I scratchbuilt some bits (main gear legs included) to complete the old lady.

Now I only have to glue all together, put on the wheels, flaps, ailerons, rudders, and the various antennas.

I promised a friend that I will display the model at an exhibition in his modeling association near Cremona (end October). I owe him.

85_maingear01_zps91c3ccd0.jpg

Drag braces

86_bits_zpsf616a4b7.jpg

Bits for antennas and gear actuators

87_maingear02_zps03c4396f-1.jpg

88_maingear03_zps2875c89a-1.jpg

Test on the landing gears

Best regards

Euge

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work! What were your basic references for the modifications?

My very first references were:

- Airliner Tech Volume 4 - Douglas DC-6 and DC-7

Scale Aircraft Modelling: Article by Ian Huntley

- June 1985 "Convert the DC-B"

- July 1985 "Convert the DC-B part 2"

Than a lot of surfing the net, help from friends that worked on, an Italian Aeronautics Institute and more and more.

Regards

Euge