Tyrannosaurus rex 1/20 skeleton

Hi everyone! :banana:

This resin skeleton is a re-cast of the long unavaliable Tamiya T. rex skeleton. The recast is a very roughly molded kit. I have never done so much cleaning before in my life. But, if you want to build a T. rex skeleton in 1/20 scale, this is your only option.

What is left for me to do on this kit is to lengthen the tail by about 10 cm, for some reason it's 10 vertebra short. I also need to add som bones underneath the neck. These neck bones are so badly casted I have to make new ones from scratch. The same goes for the gastralia basket.

My biggest modification on this kit was done on the skull. Tyrannosaurus rex's skull differed from most other carnivorous dinosaurs in that its eyes faced forward. The kit captured this quite well, but the kit has a bony ridge on each side of the skull that is far too large, this also made the eyes sit too far apart. So, I reduced the size of the ridges, and sawed away a piece on top of the skull, creating a gap. I soaked the skull in hot water and pushed the skull together at the top, making the top of the skull more pointy, and the eyes ended up closer to each other. I also lengthened the skull and lower jaw by about 0.5mm. This gave the skull the familiar concave nose ridge.

If built as depicted on the box the rex will have a slightly upright pose. I wanted the back to be more horizontal. This gave me a slight problem in how to position the legs and feet. I found a pose in the end that I'm happy with. It looks like the T. rex is just about to rush forward and bite into its prey! Cool! :crying2:

Anyways, here it is in its current state.

rex1-1.jpg

rex2-1.jpg

rex3-1.jpg

rex4-1.jpg

rex5-1.jpg

rex6-1.jpg

Hey, thats good stuff right there. I didn't know Tamiya did a T-Rex skeleton. I will have to look around for one of those.

Well done!

Thanks, Jason! I'm glad you like it! :)

IIRC the original Tamiya kit is from the 80's, early 90's. I wonder if it's even possible to find a picture of it on the net? The resin re-cast is available from here if you're interested. http://www.homemedia4u.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=3033

Below is an unbuilt, but cleaned resin kit.

rex7.jpg

Edited by robban75
Anyone else thinking "Night at the Museum"? :bandhead2:

I am!

Well, almost, since I've visited the American Museum of Natural History in NYC (which is the museum in the film) and this skeleton so closely reminds me of the real skeletons I saw there.

Great work! Dinos are cool! :lol:

NICE !!!

I see in the UK there is a T-REX and other Dinosaurs are beign advertised that you can build with the kids .the kits come in a magazine and every week you get so many piecse and the child is able to build it up and it is fairly big too..

Your T-REX is AWESOME!!!

COOL!!

• 2 weeks later...