F-15E 'Lucky Strike' from Operation Anaconda

All

Finally finished building the mighty Mudhen. I bought the Academy kit before reading all of the various posts on this site concerning the inaccuracies with this kit and as a result I was initially reluctant to get started on it.

However, the frugal side of me just couldn't justify not building it and the modeling side of me looked at it as a challenge to do what I could to make it right.

Once I started down the path of research getting photos of the tangential bomb racks, the bulged doors and such, I came across a picture of a Lakenheath Strike Eagle that was heavily weathered and decided to use this picture as a guide to painting.

I purchased the Eduard exterior detail set to help enhance the final result

So without further adieu, here it is!

Picture178.jpg

Picture179.jpg

Picture180.jpg

Picture185.jpg

And a look underneath at the nether regions:

Picture186.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy modeling!

VERY NICE!!! :D :thumbsup:

You've sure done justice to this 'not so popular' kit. Great job!

Where did the weapons and decals come from?

:cheers:

Hi Qian

Thanks for the comments.

The decals came from Two Bobs (48-037) 'Anaconda Squeeze Play'

The weapons came from the Kinetic 1/48 F-16 DG/DJ kit. There are so many weapons in that kit.

I replaced the kit's nav and targeting pods with the same ones found in Hasegawa's Weapon set D.

I'm not going to go into bashing the Academy kit here. You did a darn fine job on that model, and it looks great. I think the paint is a little light (even for weathering) but I like the shading differences. The weapons look great, and I like the mixed load. One other small critique, that is more Academy's fault than yours. As far as I know, the Strike Eagle does not even have the wiring and attachments for the outer wing pylon, and if it does, I know for a fact that it has never been used operationally. It was originally installed on the figher Eagles to carry an ECM pod, but it was found that it stressed the crap out of the wings, and was not used after that. Because the Strikes were built much later than the fighters, it was done away with by the time production started.

Aaron

I'm not going to go into bashing the Academy kit here. You did a darn fine job on that model, and it looks great. I think the paint is a little light (even for weathering) but I like the shading differences. The weapons look great, and I like the mixed load. One other small critique, that is more Academy's fault than yours. As far as I know, the Strike Eagle does not even have the wiring and attachments for the outer wing pylon, and if it does, I know for a fact that it has never been used operationally. It was originally installed on the figher Eagles to carry an ECM pod, but it was found that it stressed the crap out of the wings, and was not used after that. Because the Strikes were built much later than the fighters, it was done away with by the time production started.

Aaron

Doh! ;)

I spent so much time looking at the project from the "Whats the kit missing" perspective, I never looked at it from the what it shouldn't have perspective. Oh well, I am sure this won't be my last Strike Eagle.

On the subject of painting and weathering, although the Strike Eagle is supposed to be painted in FS-36118 (Model Master 'Gunship Gray'), I deliberately chose a lighter color to simulate fading. I used FS-36176 MM 'Dark Gray (F-15)'. Areas that were pre-shaded appeared closer to the Gunship Gray. Below is the airliners.net photo and link that I used for reference.

WeatheredTop2.jpg

Linky

Compared with other photos of Strike Eagles, this particular F-15E appears to be in desperate need of a paint job.

Aaron, thank you very much for your comments and feedback.

MJ , let me say a big THANK YOU!!!. That is one seriously superb display of modeling skills; very fine job. Now that is the only way for a Strike Eagle!!!! to take to the air.....fully loaded armed to the teeth and ready to rain down some SERIOUS!!! Whoop arse!!! in a well planned strike.

ADDED: Possilby the only thing better would have been to dump two of the 'winders and add two slammers :wave:

Edited by Angels49
So the Strike Eagle didn't even carry the outer pylons? Is the RoG the best 48th F-15E kit out there?

Either flavor of the Revell kits have the best airframe, and assemble easier IMO. The downside is they won't build into modern Mudhens without some aftermarket love. Best bet is to get the new Academy Mudhen and use it for update/weapons parts for the Revell kit.

Very sharp build, very historic AC. I think the paint is a little too light also, but not enough to lose sleep over.

that came out very nice. I like the weapons' load

I don't see the pitot tubes on the front fuselage sides?

No there isn't!

I made a command decision to leave them off since after hanging everything underneath and attaching the fragile etch nozzles on the rear, I needed some place to still be able handle the model.

It does bug me a little that those little details are missing on the front so I kept the parts.

This Eagle is awesome. It looks real. My five year old walked up to the computer and said "Wow, that's someones airplane. Looks like they are taking pictures of it where it was painted. Those sure are some big paint cans. Hoe many people does it take to hold the paintbrush." So she thinks it looks real too :woot.gif:.

Outstanding job there friend...just as others have already alluded to, and anything with SJ tailcodes is just money!!! I need a SJ tailed Mudhen in my life, too bad no 1/48 decals out there :cheers: Very eye-watering Mudhen!