Pacific Coast Models 1/32 Fw 190 A-1/2/3

Hi guys

It appears that PCM will be releasing a 1/32 scale Fw 190 in April 2010. The model will include parts to build the A-1, A-2 or A-3 variants and will include decal options for two of each type as well as a PE set by Eduard. I have read only good things about this company's efforts so this will definitely be something to watch out for. It is wonderful news that finally the early Fw 190 versions are being offered as injection molded kits in this scale although strictly speaking these are not the first early versions offered as there are the excellent but expensive Montex conversions for the Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190 A-5. The Montex conversions are very nice indeed, with options to build both an early or late Fw 190 A-4, including cooling louvers or gills, early style head armor and main wheels as well as different control surfaces for early or late production aircraft. I did notice that unfortunately the first aid kit panel is not in the correct location although that should be easily fixable but the biggest drawback is the price, $120 for both the Hasegawa donor kit ($55) and the Montex conversion kit ($65). It will be interesting to see how the two efforts compare.

http://www.pacmodels.com/news.php

Horrido!

Leo

Edited by Leo Etgen

I'm probably in a small minority here, but I was disappointed when I

opened that email from PCM earlier today. I will acknowledge that

this is great news for the Fw 190 nuts, but I'm not one of those. I've

got several Hasegawa 190's and that's enough 190's for me. I was

sort of hoping that PCM would go back toward it's Italian interests and

do a CR-42. Well maybe next time.....

For the rest of you, enjoy those early 190's and I do look forward to

seeing some of them built up!

- Patrick

I'll admit I'm not the greatest PCM fan, and another FW-190 wouldn't do much for me either. I am really surprised they didn't follow up the rag wing Hurricane with a metal winged version. However, as a business decision, I guess you can never go wrong with more 109's, FW's or P-51's. Silver Wings would probably be the best bet for the CR-42, considering their impending release of the CR32, which I look forward to getting SOON. A 42 seems like a logical follow on.

Hi guys

Sorry to disappoint several out there but Ken Lawrence has specifically stated that they will not be doing a Fiat CR.42 (nor a Fiat G.50) according to this interview http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/features/pcmdw_1.htm I agree that it is too bad as it is my favorite biplane fighter and an important subject as it was the most produced Italian fighter of the war if I am not mistaken. I agree that a Fiat CR.32 would be great as well since it was a very attractive aircraft and it is my understanding that it was the most important fighter of the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War so it is a historically important subject. Since the Fw 190 is my favorite fighter I have to admit that I like this release although I can understand how many feel that there are enough Fw 190 models already available. I do wonder if Eduard will be making the PE set available as a stand alone product. Considering all the money I have spent on the Hasegawa/Montex conversion I need to dress up that cockpit!

Horrido!

Leo

Edited by Leo Etgen
Hi guys

Sorry to disappoint several out there but Ken Lawrence has specifically stated that they will not be doing a Fiat CR.42 (nor a Fiat G.50) according to this interview http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/features/pcmdw_1.htm I agree that it is too bad as it is my favorite biplane fighter and an important subject as it was the most produced Italian fighter of the war if I am not mistaken. I agree that a Fiat CR.32 would be great as well since it was a very attractive aircraft and it is my understanding that it was the most important fighter of the Nationalists in the Spanish Civil War so it is a historically important subject. Since the Fw 190 is my favorite fighter I have to admit that I like this release although I can understand how many feel that there are enough Fw 190 models already available. I do wonder if Eduard will be making the PE set available as a stand alone product. Considering all the money I have spent on the Hasegawa/Montex conversion I need to dress up that cockpit!

Horrido!

Leo

Leo, did you see the Silver Wings CR32 kit that is to be released any day now?

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....p;#entry1909720

This is why I think they are most likely to do the CR42 as well. Its expensive, but from everything I have read about the other Silver Wings kit, it won't be disappointing!

Edited by JasonB

As a great PCM fan (I have a lot of blue boxes in the loft) I was disapointed to hear that the next release is a 190, but as I am cutting back on the amount of money I spend on modelling it is good news for my bank account. I really should not have bought the PCM Hurricane but could not resist.

It is a shame that Ken has stated that he PCM will not be bringing out a G50, I would have been obliged to buy one despite my efforts to curb spending, but Ken is running a business and German stuff sells.

So I am happy for the 109/190 nuts but hope it is my turn to be pleased on the next release, life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. I would be happy with some soviet subjects though!

Cheers

Den

Edited by Britaholic

Hi Jason

That Silver Wings 1/32 Fiat CR.32 looks awesome! It comes with no less that six marking options and very attractive ones at that. As you mentioned it is expensive, something like $150 but for the Regia Aeronautica and Spanish Civil War enthusiasts it is indispensable. Hopefully there will be a Fiat CR.42 in the works as well. I must say that I am impressed with what is coming out of Eastern Europe these days with high quality and subjects that are off the beaten path. I agree with Britaholic that there is a dearth of Russian subjects. These are not my favorite aircraft but they were some of the most important aircraft of World War II in terms of numbers produced and impact and they should be more represented. Here are images of the box art and decal sheet as well as the link to the web page of the new PCM kit.

th_54390_FW_190BoxArt_122_801lo.jpg

th_54401_FW_190A123DecalSheet3_122_70lo.jpg

http://pacmodelscatalog.com/mm5/merchant.m...;Category_Code=

Horrido!

Leo

Well, I'm happy with this one. I realize that the the A-5 through A-8 in 1/32 is already available from Hasegawa and some question the need for another 190 in this scale, but the A1-A4 has some significant differences from the later series and would take some serious scratch building to convert. As Leo mentioned Montex makes a somewhat pricey resin conversion set, but good luck finding one.

Those JG 2 birds with black shrike flash on the side of the fuselage are just some of the coolest schemes on WW2 warbird too.

Hi Mike

Yes, there were quite a number of differences between the early short nosed A-series and the later longer nosed A-series that are the ones almost always represented by model manufactures. By the way, I got my Montex conversion at Air Connection just about two months ago. Design & Marketing Int'l had the Fw 190 A-3 available for $79.95 but the Fw 190 A-4 was out of stock. However, Air Connection in Canada had the Fw 190 A-4 available for $65.50.

http://www.airconnection.on.ca/MONTEX/airc...NTEX_K32114.htm (Fw 190 A-3)

http://www.airconnection.on.ca/MONTEX/airc...NTEX_K32115.htm (Fw 190 A-4)

Shipping to North Carolina was $6.00.

I have read that the Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190 A-5 is out of production but I got mine at Roll Models for $54.75.

Horrido!

Leo

Leo,

Thanks for the links, although I think I'll hold off to see what the PCM kit looks like. At only $5 more than the Montex set that still requires a Hasegawa donor I think that will be the way to go, hopefully Ken (and Sword) will give us a winner.

I'd just like to say I'm actually quite happy with this release.

It's true that I have a number of 1/32 Fw190s already, but as this release will cover different variants than what Hasegawa offers, it will fill a nice gap in my collection. Just as the upcoming Hasegawa Bf109F will.

I just hope a later model, metal wing Hurricane is still in the works for later on!

Hi guys

There is an interesting thread at the Large Scale Planes forum concerning this new release. Perhaps the most interesting part of the thread is the discussion of the subtle differences between the A-3 and A-4 as well as those between these variants and the later A-5, illustrated by scans from the Aero Detail book posted by Charles Metz. The starboard side of the Fw 190 is generally not documented as much as the port side but I do know that among the differences is the change in location of the first aid kit access panel from the A-4 to the A-5 which unfortunately Montex overlooked. I should also point out that according to the latest research it appears that the Fw 190 A-4 did not introduce methanol/water injection (MW 50). The A-series did not use this system operationally and instead used erhöhte Notleistung from July 1944.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=28661

th_42621_Untitled_7_122_377lo.jpg

Horrido!

Leo

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Here are several photographs of the sprues of the new PCM 1/32 scale Fw 190 A-1/2/3. It is nice to see the options of both treaded and smooth main wheels and the engine looks to be well detailed with opened out exhausts. The cockpit and wheel well appear to be very nice as well and the two styles of early head armor are provided. Too bad there is no photograph of the Eduard supplied photo-etched set at the moment as it would have been interesting to see what is provided. Concerning the decals I do wonder about the buzzard/falcon head emblem of JG 51 being brown as it is generally regarded to have been white according to most sources that I have seen.

Fuselage

th_11253_Fw_190FuselageSprue_122_1164lo.jpg

Wings

th_11288_Fw_190Awingsprue_122_405lo.jpg

Small pieces

th_11321_FW_190ASmallPiecesSprue_122_174lo.jpg

Resin parts

th_11361_FW_190AResinparts_122_71lo.jpg

Decals

th_11409_FW_190A123DecalSheet3_122_527lo.jpg

Jerry Crandall has announced that he will be releasing a conversion set for this kit to allow a Fw 190 A-4 to be built as well as decal sheets for this type as well.

Horrido!

Leo

Edited by Leo Etgen