1:72 DC-10-30 kit now available

I am pleased to say that we delivered the first batch of DC-10-30 kits to Hannants yesterday.

Here are some details:

Airframe: 11 precut vacformed parts in 2mm/.080in grey plastic

Resin:Engines: NACA intakes and aircon outlet doors plus accurate wingtips - 27 parts

Cast metal: Landing gear, flap hinges, rudder actuator fairings, drain masts and antennas - 58 parts

Etched brass: 53 detail parts.

Decals: 2 sheets, one for the British Caledonian livery and the other for windscreens, windows and masses of stencils. We have also included some spare cabin windows with blinds in different positions

This is a big kit and sadly expensive, but that is the price of using CAD/CAM, stereo lithography with resin engines and detail parts. When we decided to do the new kit, the first area to receive attention was the engines; I always felt these were a weak point on our previous production, and we have had such positive feedback from the DC-8 kits that we decided to go the same route - it was well worth it. You look down that long intake for the centre engine to see the fan at the end, or look in the back of the engine to see the outlet guide vanes for the bypass air.

The landing gear is mainly cast metal with some etched detail parts. You can see the logos on the main wheel hub caps, and the main wheels include brake units with keys to give the correct orientation of the brake units.

On cost, the two things which drive the price up are the CAD/CAM to produce the masters, and the cost of producing resin parts. We use vacuum casting, but you still have to make new moulds after between 20 and 50 casts, so this labour and material cost is probably about 50-60% of the overall resin production cost.

Detail parts - well you have quite a few, even down to the supply pipes for the screen wash fluid! I don't know if anyone will use them because they are so tiny, but they are there as an option!

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it - any feedback is always welcome.

A new KC-10 complete kit comes next!

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

Edited by tnuag
Well,

Neil did say the kit was a little expensive. it's listed at 199.99 British Pounds Sterling. That converted out to right at three hundred dollars.

Paul

Isn't that the VAT inclusive in the EU? I thought export was about £170.

Neil

Isn't that the VAT inclusive in the EU? I thought export was about £170.

Neil

Neil,

You are correct. That is the list price with the VAT added. The export price is 170 pounds. That converted out to just over 254.00 US. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I don't care what it cost really. I feel it's worth it at twice the price.

Paul

Edited by Paul Mullins
Neil,

You are correct. That is the list price with the VAT added. The export price is 170 pounds.

Paul

Paul,

When you get your kit, it will arrive in a large cardboard box - we could only get 30 boxes into the back of a Volvo estate to deliver them!

I will be very interested in your comments because you have the oldest Transport Wings kit (747-100) and now the latest. The engines each consist of 9 parts, including the pylon - look at them against the JT9D on the 747.

Anyway enjoy it!

Neil

Paul,

When you get your kit, it will arrive in a large cardboard box - we could only get 30 boxes into the back of a Volvo estate to deliver them!

I will be very interested in your comments because you have the oldest Transport Wings kit (747-100) and now the latest. The engines each consist of 9 parts, including the pylon - look at them against the JT9D on the 747.

Anyway enjoy it!

Neil

Neil,

If you would like, I can post comparison photos side by side. I'm looking forward to this one.

All the Best,

Paul

Neil,

If you would like, I can post comparison photos side by side. I'm looking forward to this one.

All the Best,

Paul

Great idea Paul - yes please. I cannot comment on our own products!

Neil

Sure you can. You wouldn't make em if you didn't like them so much.

Paul

The biggest kick is when you run a mould for the first time and you get out the first article. Or when the decals arrive from the printers (look at the DC-10 stencil decals with a magnifying glass).

Neil

Hi Neil

One question I have asked before, and may be you might be a little tired of people asking, but do you know when the Rug Rats Avro 748 will reproduced as i REALLY REALLY want or should I say need this kit but Hannants have this as sold out

Regards desperate modeller Kev

Edited by Kev67
Hi Neil

One question I have asked before, and may be you might be a little tired of people asking, but do you know when the Rug Rats Avro 748 will reproduced as i REALLY REALLY want or should I say need this kit but Hannants have this as sold out

Regards desperate modeller Kev

As soon as we can do it - we have had new masters produced for the metal parts and we have to get a curing cabinet, then we will produce it again.

Neil Gaunt

Thats great news about the DC-10. I have a bonus coming from work at the end of the month I have heirmarked for the kit. Hopefully there will be some left then. The NZ dollar is good for me to buy at the moment though!

Great news indeed, thanks

Cheers

Anthony

Here are some photos of the kit parts. The first model is being built now and photos will be posted when it is finished.

Fuselage and horizontal stabilizer precut vacform parts

DC-10-Fusetail.jpg

Wing and keel precut vacform parts

DC-10-Wingskeel.jpg

Some of the metal parts

DC-10-Metal.jpg

Metal parts set when packed

DC-10-Metal-packed.jpg

The larger resin parts

DC-10-Resin-1.jpg

The larger resin parts when packed

DC-10-Resin-1-large-packed.jpg

The smaller (and more delicate) resin parts when packed

DC-10-Resin-2-small-packed.jpg

Preparation for assembly

DSCF7556.jpg

Cutouts for the NACA intakes and air conditioning outlets

DSCF7562.jpg

Thanks for the help Paul!

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

As soon as we can do it - we have had new masters produced for the metal parts and we have to get a curing cabinet, then we will produce it again.

Neil Gaunt

Thats great, is it still going to be sold through Hannants

Neil,

I'm happy to help in any small way I can. I'm drooling over the photos. You're right, the resin engines look much bettter on this kit. Perhaps you might more seriously consider that update we spoke about to the 747 with resin JT9D engines.

Paul

Neil,

I'm happy to help in any small way I can. I'm drooling over the photos. You're right, the resin engines look much bettter on this kit. Perhaps you might more seriously consider that update we spoke about to the 747 with resin JT9D engines.

Paul

Paul,

I will talk to our CAD guru and see when he can fit them in - priorities keep changing! The DC-10 engines have come out well, I was carrying an assembled one around in my pocket for a while to gloat over. What I would not want to happen would be for you to spend a lot of time on the present set then have a new set appear.

Neil

Paul,

I will talk to our CAD guru and see when he can fit them in - priorities keep changing! The DC-10 engines have come out well, I was carrying an assembled one around in my pocket for a while to gloat over. What I would not want to happen would be for you to spend a lot of time on the present set then have a new set appear.

Neil

Neil,

That's ok. If nothing else, It's training for me to learn about vacform kits.

Paul

Neil,

That's ok. If nothing else, It's training for me to learn about vacform kits.

Paul

Paul,

We have discussed the JT-9D and have agreed to do it after completing the masters for the next kit (an Airbus). He has done the engines and still has to do some detail parts plus landing gear, then on to the JT-9D! We will then offer them as an optional aftermarket pack at this stage, rather than a full upgrade of the 747 kit. It will be helpfull if we send you a set to prove them.

Neil

Paul,

We have discussed the JT-9D and have agreed to do it after completing the masters for the next kit (an Airbus). He has done the engines and still has to do some detail parts plus landing gear, then on to the JT-9D! We will then offer them as an optional aftermarket pack at this stage, rather than a full upgrade of the 747 kit. It will be helpfull if we send you a set to prove them.

Neil

Neil,

You sir, have a deal. For my own edification I will continue on the current engines to see what I can do, and then compare the two and send you the report with pictures for you to decide to post or not.

All the Best,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...