1:72 DC-10-30 kit now available

Greetings To All,

Well, I've finally got the chance to have a serious look at the new Aircraft In Miniature 1/72 scale DC-10 kit I got from Hannant's the other day. As promised, there are photos of the kit with a 1/72 NB-52B/X-15 Project I have going as a diversion to prevent burnout on the 747/Orbiter project. First up is the hull with the keel piece and the Revell B-52 for size comparison.

DC10Hull.jpg

Next up is the wings. These are much better than the 747 wings. A side by side comparison of the DC-10 and the 747-100 kits would be unfair to the 747 and to Neil and the staff at Aircraft In Minature for several reasons. First, because of advances in technology since the 747 kit came out. Specifically, CAD technology. I think if one were to look at Pete Fleischmann's 1/16 AT-38B thread, one would see what exactly can be done with CAD Technology, and I think Neil and Company hit this DC-10 kit out of the park. There are shape issues with the 747, but I feel that's a result of the limitations that AIM was operating under at the time the 747 kit was originally produced. (No CAD Technology. All moulds were planned out and carved by hand as I recall is how it was done in the olden days.) Using that criteria, then for it's day the 747 kit is also a home run. The decals for the DC-10 are spectacular. Too bad I won't be using most of the window decals because I'm going to build this kit as a FedEX DC-10-30. (No windows... :huh: ) But the stencils are another matter. They're gonna all get used.

DC10Wings.jpg

The Engines, Decals, Assorted air inlets, Landing Gear, Wheels, and the PE. Neil, pretty please with a cherry on top, please, please, PLEASE produce a set of JT9D engines as an upgrade set to the 747. These DC-10 resin masterpieces are beautiful, and you're right, you really can do a lot with resin.

DC10Engines.jpg

While I didn't photograph the directions booklet, you can download them from the AIM website. You can also download 1/72 diagrams of the DC-10 to help in measuring out where certain markings go. All in all, a great kit. Expensive, yeah, a little on the high side, but if you really want a big DC-10. Then this is the one to get. Neil, I salute you Sir. :salute:

Paul

Evolution:n

Even though it is only a few weeks since we produced the DC-10 kit, work on the KC-10 has given a few improvements.

1 - We are revising the 1:72 drawings and instructions, therefore we have held back from putting them on the website (a result of building the first of each kit).

2 - The KC-10 will have wheels with bulged tyres - if anyone who has bought a DC-10 would like a set please send a letter or email.

3 - David pointed out that we are lacking one type of jet pipe for the DC-10. We have produced a new additional set and will send them on request.

It never stops!

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited.

Edited by tnuag
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya Neil

Any idea when the DC-10 will be back in stock at Hannants? Went to order one and saw it was out of stock.

I am keen on the DC-8 as well, but I REALLY must have the 748 when she becomes available.............cant afford them all in one go!

Cheers

Anthony

Hiya Neil

Any idea when the DC-10 will be back in stock at Hannants? Went to order one and saw it was out of stock.

I am keen on the DC-8 as well, but I REALLY must have the 748 when she becomes available.............cant afford them all in one go!

Cheers

Anthony

Hi - I have just looked at Hannants web site and it shows 46 DC-10s in stock. Over to you!

Neil

Thanks Neil.......................right you are! I must have been looking in the wrong place before!

I will definately order one this week then! Thank you!

Oh, and please consider the 300 series 767 as I would dearly love to do an Air NZ one with winglets!

Cheers and thanks again

Anthony

Thanks Neil.......................right you are! I must have been looking in the wrong place before!

I will definately order one this week then! Thank you!

Oh, and please consider the 300 series 767 as I would dearly love to do an Air NZ one with winglets!

Cheers and thanks again

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I can understand about not being able to afford all the kits at once - their high price worries us too, but material prices are very high now. Also, using stereo lithography is expensive, but we think it is worth it - you only have to read some of the delighted comments from customers to explain that! The first DC-8 customer came back with 'the resin parts are wonderful'.....

We will produce some extra mouldings when the 767-200 is produced, with a view to making a mould with the longer fuselage. The winglets will be resin. What engines do ANZ use?

Oh yes, after the A310/Polaris we are going to produce some more Rug Rat Resins kits. First will be the 748 again, then some brand new kits of an executive jet and derivative, and then probably the Andover again, but with new masters, so that will equate to a new kit. We have now got a bigger vacuum chamber so can do them in house. After these comes another transport with strong NZ connections (this one at the request of my wife!) but we are not releasing details of that until the CAD is complete.

We have not had time to produce the weighted wheels (bulged tyres) so are putting a voucher in each KC-10 kit for those who want them - they will be available for the DC-10 kit at a nominal price. The KC-10 kit will be available soon - the decals arrived yesterday and Robin has made a beautiful job of them - the SAC band and shields are all fully legible under a magnifying glass and the sheet includes the red/yellow/green markings for the extended boom. The stencils will come from the generic DC-10 window sheet. I know Paul intends to do Fedex but he can still use the windows with partially drawn window blinds if he wishes!

We have now got the masters for three sizes of chocks - they form the first items in a new range to be called AIM GSE (Ground Support Equipment), while the CAD is complete for some aircraft tripod jacks. Any suggestions for other items anyone?

The URL for the Hannants site with DC-10 is "http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TW18001"

I think that is all the news up to date.

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited.

Hi Neil

Thank you. I totally understand the prices for your kits, its understandable.

Air New Zealands 767 300ER's have General Electric CF6-80C2B6 engines. Sounds like you will be making me poor for the next few years.... :)

Great to hear of your wifes influences! Mmmm maybe a Bristol Freighter?? One can only but dream..............whatever it is I am sure I will be getting one then!

Look forward to the Boeing 777 in the future as well.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Neil

Thank you. I totally understand the prices for your kits, its understandable.

Air New Zealands 767 300ER's have General Electric CF6-80C2B6 engines. Sounds like you will be making me poor for the next few years.... :D

Great to hear of your wifes influences! Mmmm maybe a Bristol Freighter?? One can only but dream..............whatever it is I am sure I will be getting one then!

Look forward to the Boeing 777 in the future as well.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Be thankful ANZ do not have A380s on order!

I was looking t our kit prices and each DC-10 kit uses over half a pound of resin when you include feeds. I was doing some sums and the actual resin in the kit is probably around 30 to 40 % of the actual cost. The rest is the feeds (which need to be larger for vacuum casting) plus the short life of the moulds.

Regarding Bristol Freighters, I think Magna do conversions for the various Bristol Freighters.

We have been in contact with ANZ/Mt Cook airways when considering decals for the reissued 748 - this is a possibility.

Enough for the moment!

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks..............oh yes I forgot that Magna do conversions for the Airfix kit!

Mmm, yes I am thankful that we dont have A380's on order. My wife would throttle me. She thinks we have too many aeroplanes in the family already! With a real ex RAF Auster T7 being rebuilt to fly..............an A380 would be just too much for her, with the models I already have to build!

I will wait with eager anticipation. Let me know if there is any way I can offer assistance form over here.

Cheers

Anthony

Well crap I went and did it also, I ordered the DC-10 and also the KLM DC-8 had to they both look oh so pretty.

I have alot of the older kits that was produced years ago I think the DC-8 is in CP Air....... Is there anyway we can get the upgrades for the older kits????

Thanks, Randy

Well crap I went and did it also, I ordered the DC-10 and also the KLM DC-8 had to they both look oh so pretty.

I have alot of the older kits that was produced years ago I think the DC-8 is in CP Air....... Is there anyway we can get the upgrades for the older kits????

Thanks, Randy

Yes, we can and will produce upgrade packs for the older kits - I don't know how much they will cost because all that is left from the original kits is the vacform parts. Would anyone who wants them please contact me by PM? The next kit to be reissued will be the A310/CP150 Polaris.

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, the wait on this DC-10 is killin me!

I guess with the delays with the Volcano means that my freight has been delayed also. She was sent on the 16th, so surely she isnt far now...........

I know I know, I am just being impatient! All this waiting compelled me to order the new 1/72 Qantas 737-800 (to do as a NZ based FlyPacificBlue plane) from Welsh........... DC-8 next!

OK, I feel slightly better now, thanks for listening!

Cheers

Anthony

Well, the masters for the new resin parts for the A310/Polaris arrived today - they are beautiful.

When we saw the masters for the resin parts in the DC-8 we were delighted (radome, tail bumper and air conditioning outlet doors in particular), then came the DC-10 with its CF-6 engine, and now the A310 with another engine and the underwing refuelling pods. Half the fun is the learning curve!

Anthony, I hope you get as much pleasure out of the DC-10 as we did producing it!!!

We are also considering alternative decals for these airliners - any suggestions anyone?

Neil Gaunt

[We are also considering alternative decals for these airliners - any suggestions anyone?

Neil Gaunt

Well, now, if you're entertaining ideas...........................

how about

2004-06-13YOD0020.jpg

2005-05-28YOD0012.jpg

2005-06-11YOD0183.jpg

and I know this is hoping for too much, but if you decide to do a DC-8 73, and a 62, maybe I could cross kit them and come up with

2008-07-01YOD0027.jpg

one can dream

Ian

[We are also considering alternative decals for these airliners - any suggestions anyone?

Neil Gaunt

Well, now, if you're entertaining ideas...........................

how about

2004-06-13YOD0020.jpg

2005-05-28YOD0012.jpg

2005-06-11YOD0183.jpg

and I know this is hoping for too much, but if you decide to do a DC-8 73, and a 62, maybe I could cross kit them and come up with

2008-07-01YOD0027.jpg

one can dream

Ian

Some very valid and helpful suggestions Ian - we are changing our presentation of these kits to make more options available. The idea is that we produce an airframe kit without engines and pylons, then produce engine and decal sets to give the required variant and CFM56 is one of the engine types we want to do. A series 61 and 62 would need new moulds but we can do all other versions from our existing tooling and if memory is correct a 62 has the same wing as a 63.... An easy conversion therefore.

The Dutch KDC-10 is another distinct possibility, but first we must get the Polaris and Luftwaffe MRTT kits out. These will use the new presentation (basic airframe + engine/decal set).

One thing we have always done is to provide separate window decals for those who want other colour schemes.

Neil

DC-8-70's also require new exhaust vents (lower forward fuselage), and nose intake plugs*. (the use of CFM56's completely changed the environment/pressurization systems, and the changes are quite visible externally)

*not all of them got the plugs--Delta's are a notable exception.

Photoetch brass etc may be a good option for representing the modified vents.

Edited by David Hingtgen
DC-8-70's also require new exhaust vents (lower forward fuselage), and nose intake plugs*. (the use of CFM56's completely changed the environment/pressurization systems, and the changes are quite visible externally)

*not all of them got the plugs--Delta's are a notable exception.

Photoetch brass etc may be a good option for representing the modified vents.

These changes are quite easy to do - a new radome and exhaust vents will be simple resin parts.

Any chance of photos David? Incidentally what did you hav in mind for the etched exhaust vents?

Neil

I was thinking someting like a flat square of brass, with "rectangles etched away" leaving the louvers, with the louvers having very thin attachments to the frame/edge. Then, each louver would be rotated 45 degrees or so, giving the proper see-through and 3D effect. Of course, that would require a decent amount of skill to assemble---it may be better to just make a "solid" piece of resin that could be glued into a cut-out.

I'll email some pics.

Looking at the photos it would be sensible to put two radomes in the kit (original plus one with plugs). The exhaust louvres would be quite difficult in brass because you would have the vanes, but the outer frame would also need to conform to the fuselage curvature, so the best way forward would probably be four new resin inserts. Brass is also very expensive for a small quantity when you consider the cost of the photo tool as well.

At present it looks as though a Conway powered series 40 will be the next DC-8 variant. It will probably have Alitalia decals because I flew up Africa in the cockpit of one of their aircraft. The 73 will need thought for the decals - licensing for some operators liveries.

Neil

I was thinking someting like a flat square of brass, with "rectangles etched away" leaving the louvers, with the louvers having very thin attachments to the frame/edge. Then, each louver would be rotated 45 degrees or so, giving the proper see-through and 3D effect. Of course, that would require a decent amount of skill to assemble---it may be better to just make a "solid" piece of resin that could be glued into a cut-out.

I'll email some pics.

Edited by tnuag

A question for the DC-8 experts.

I have the AIM DC-8-53 and the DC-8-63 is on the way from Hannant's. I realized that the Flying Tigers DC-8 I want to do is a -63 and not a -53. In looking at the photo of the NASA DC-8, it looks like the -53 with the CFM-56 engines, which I just happen to have a set of lying around doing nothing since I used the old JT-3 engines for the vomit comet project. Dave mentioned some other changes due to the environmental system being changed. Anyone have reference photos?? This of course means that unless Neil has managed to produce another Boeing or McDonnel Douglas aircraft that someone has hidden in stock somewhere, I have all of his kits. (I think). I still want a 1/72 757/767/and a 777. (hint hint) :unsure:

Paul

A question for the DC-8 experts.

I have the AIM DC-8-53 and the DC-8-63 is on the way from Hannant's. I realized that the Flying Tigers DC-8 I want to do is a -63 and not a -53. In looking at the photo of the NASA DC-8, it looks like the -53 with the CFM-56 engines, which I just happen to have a set of lying around doing nothing since I used the old JT-3 engines for the vomit comet project. Dave mentioned some other changes due to the environmental system being changed. Anyone have reference photos?? This of course means that unless Neil has managed to produce another Boeing or McDonnel Douglas aircraft that someone has hidden in stock somewhere, I have all of his kits. (I think). I still want a 1/72 757/767/and a 777. (hint hint) :unsure:

Paul

I don't suppose a Tristar would interest you Paul?

Oh yes - a 767 will be coming along...

Neil

Edited by tnuag
I don't suppose a Tristar would interest you Paul?

Oh yes - a 767 will be coming along...

Neil

Hi Neil,

Well, now that you mention it, I just might be interested in a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar. I had the chance to fly on one from San Francisco to Japan once, it was a very comfortable airplane. I don't suppose it would happen to come with a TWA livery decal set? And by the way, I'm in for the 767 and just about anything else you've got up your sleeve. (Except for the Airbus, sorry about that one, it's just not my cup of tea).

Cheers

Paul