Alclad Polished Aluminum

Their web site says a sealer is not needed, and yet I have to put decals on this stuff and me thinks a sealer of some sort should go over it. I will probably use Testors Metalizer sealer, but I was wondering if anyone else is using something different without ruining the metallic finish.

Future is your safest bet here. There are photos on ARC somewhere that definitively show that future will not appreciatively change the metallic appearance of the Alclad.

I have used Future over many shades of Alclad and I also feel that it helps the decals adhere better.

Bob

I've put decals over the top of bare Alclad a few times, and never had any problems. The surface prep necessary to get a good Alclad finish results in a good surface for decaling w/o the use of Future. I'm an avid Future user, but I've done my own little experiment on the same plane, sectioning off a panel to Future over the nose are, and I can clearly see a difference between the panel with Future and the rest of the plane w/o Future.

I've put decals over the top of bare Alclad a few times, and never had any problems. The surface prep necessary to get a good Alclad finish results in a good surface for decaling w/o the use of Future. I'm an avid Future user, but I've done my own little experiment on the same plane, sectioning off a panel to Future over the nose are, and I can clearly see a difference between the panel with Future and the rest of the plane w/o Future.

My concern is not laying down the decals, but protecting everything afterwards without ruining the "metal" effect. I also have some regular paint on this kit that is going to be decaled, and it will need to be coated as well.

Well, I have to say that there engine looks pretty good. Are you thinning the future with ammonia (Windex), or spraying it straight? The few times I have used it straight it looks a little weird when wet because of its surface tension.

Well, my opinion is that Future does change the overall appearance of the Alclad, but it can still look great. I've struggled with how to protect decals on Alclad finishes, but have yet to be brave enough to fully cover the Alclad. One thing I did do on this P-47 was freehand spray a flat Future mix (mixed w/Tamiya flat base) over the top of the lady, and seperated the panel by masking the text on the cowling, that panel has Future on it, whereas the adjacent panels do not, and I can see a difference there (might not be able to see it in pictures?).

004.jpg

005.jpg

Edited by blunce

If the question is directly related to Polished Aluminum and Chrome, then my experience is yes; gloss coats affect those. They don't as much for the other colors.

000_0082.jpg

I used future over the regular Alclad colors with little change. I've tried it on polished and it did take some of the sheen (sorry, no pictures).

even if future will slightly bright down a little Alclad Polished Aluminium, it's still very shiny!

to my knowledge, i don't know a better way to protect decals over alclad...