1/72 b-17f, which kit??

Academy do a 1/72 B-17E OOB, I'm no B-17 expert but from what I've heard of it, is that it is reasenably accurate shape wise.

I have had one on the go for a while now, and so far (closed fuselage, not started the wings) it has gone together well, no filler used yet. There is an interior even if it is a bit basic.

Also pricewise, Academy is much cheaper than Hasegawa's B-17 which also needs to be converted.

David.

Academy B-17E:

Academy_B17E_RAF.jpg

Take care with this kit, it can assemble with far toooo much dihedral - which makes it look silly.

I should probably have opened up the engine cowlings a bit - but a fine kit.

Hasegawa B-17F Memphis Belle:

Hasegawa_B17F_MemphisBelle.jpg

This is my favourite B-17 kit. This one is built straight from the box.

If you're doing a B-17E, you'll need to either use the Academy E kit, or put a new nose cap on the Hasegawa F. The Academy F is a later version, with the navigator's dome on top of the nose (Academy markets the kit with Memphis Belle markings..the box art shows the correct configuration, but the actual kit is incorrect for the Belle.) In order to backdate the Academy F to a G, you'll need to do some surgery on the nose.

I don't have the Academy E, but I assume it has the same issues as their F and G kits. The wing intakes need to be opened up..the larger intakes are molded as shallow depressions, while the smaller ones between the engines are completely absent. Also, all the Academy B-17s are molded with the tail gunner's compartment in right and left halves, giving you a nasty seam down the middle of the glass. Squadron makes vac form replacements that address the issue. I also understand that the Academy kits have excessive wing dihedral.

Despite being 30-some years old the Hasegawa F is quite nice. The only real areas where it falls short of "modern" standards is the fact that it has raised panel lines, and does not give you the option to open the bomb bay.

One thing the Academy kit gives you are the narrow-chord props for the E (in fact all the Academy B-17s come with both narrow and wide-chord props.) Hasegawa only gives you the broad-chord props used on later Fs and all Gs.

SN

I agree with Steve, even though the Hasegawa B-17 kit is old (I built one in 1976) it is a very good kit. The shape is excellent. It really captures the look of a B-17.

I don't have an Academy E, but I do have the B-17B and SB-17G and they share a lot of the same parts. The SB-17G kit even includes the early horizontal stabilizers, as used on the B-17B through D. Like Steve said it has has the early props and the later paddle blades that were used on the F and G.

I'm working on a Hasegawa "F" now. It will be done as "Knock Out Dropper" an 8th Air Force B-17 that completed 75 missions. :cheers:

Revell has a new tool 1/72 B-17G coming. I might hold off on an F to see if they don't do that one as well.

I might (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) hold off on those to see what Revell might do :cheers:

J

Thanks for all the info!!

Just to confirm , the Hasegawa has raised panel lines/rivets

and the Academy is recessed? Any idea what the revell B-17f will be?

What's their current kit (G), recessed or raised?

It sounds like I maybe better off getting the Hasegawa and

Academy and cherry-picking the best from both.?

Cheers,

AK

Revell has a new tool 1/72 B-17G coming. I might hold off on an F to see if they don't do that one as well.

J

So far, RoG appears to release at most one new/revised heavy bomber in 1/72 per year. It took three or four years to get around to revising the Ju 290 kit, even longer on the He 177. If they are to do a B-17G later this year, don't hold your breath for different version. It may come, but I am definitely not expecting variations anytime soon.

I too built 'Knockout Dropper' from the Hasegawa 'F' kit many years ago using an even older set of decals from Microscale, then a few years later backdated the Hasegawa B-17G to do 'Nine 0 Nine' again using old Microscale markings, and the tail gunners position from the really ancient Revell B-17. 'Nine 0 Nine' must have been done 30+ years ago.

Any idea what the revell B-17f will be?

What's their current kit (G), recessed or raised?

The Revell G will have recessed panel lines, of that you can be sure (imagine any kit manufacturer putting out any kit with raised detail - unthinkable). I never said Revell was doing an F. I only said you might want to hold off and see ;)

J

Just to confirm , the Hasegawa has raised panel lines/rivets and the Academy is recessed?

Correct, although the Hasegawa kit doesn't have many rivets..mostly just raised lines (and real B-17s are absolutely covered with round-head rivets.) Some modelers have argued that raised lines are actually more accurate, since the B-17s skin was made up of overlapping sheet metal panels. Like any project, study your references choose which you like best.

If the new Revell AG B-17 is up to the same standard as their recent "heavies" like the He177, Fw200 and Lancaster, it could very well become the definitive Fort in 1/72 scale. As for alternate versions of Revell AG kits, I'm still waiting for the Fw-200C-3. I snapped up the C-8 missile carrier when it came out some three years ago, but I really want the C-3 commerce raider. I know the tooling is done..when I saw the test shots at the 2006 IPMS Nationals the sprues had all the parts for the C-3 (the forward part of the ventral gondola and the iron bombs) but much to my annoyance those parts of the sprues were "gated off" when the kit was released (although to be honest backdating it wouldn't be that difficult.)

Hey Jennings..have any little birds told you if the Revell AG kit will include a radio room? That's been a glaring ommision on ALL 1/72 B-17 kits to date, and especially visible through the big radio room roof window.

SN