Hasegawa F-16 Block 60

I have a boxing of the Hasegawa F-16 Block 60 in the 1/48th scale. I am not a lumps and bumps expert so I can't tell, but I was wondering if it has the sprues and parts necessary to also build a sufa.

Thanks!

I am by no means an F-16 expert, but in the January 2010 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling there are two 1/48 F-16I Sufa builds. One is with the Hasegawa F-16I Sufa kit #09857, apparently a Block 52+. The author states that the new sprues have all "the smaller parts unique to Israel". The other build is by Yoav Efrati utilizing the Kinetic F-16I kit. Yoav speaks to shape issues, panel lines and a lot of other things. I have not read both articles in depth so therefore cannot compare them. Yoav also has written an article on the F-16I in Israeli service in the above mentioned issue. Considering the photos, drawings and color profiles, I would think it to be a good investment for someone considering to build a Sufa. HTH.

Tom

Just by looking at the box art of that kit, it clearly lacks those big fairings on the both sides of the nose the Sufa has.

I was wondering about the same question too. If one chooses to not build the kit as a UAE jet, and it cannot be built as a Sufa, what can it be built as? A Singapore jet? HAF jet? I'm still undecided on whether to buy the kit until I know what other build options there are.

Cheers,

Terry

Guys,

Also go to the IN PROGRESS section. You'll find a comparative build between the Hasegawa and Kinetic Sufa kits. There will no doubt be useful information there, too.

Tom

Edited by Tom

If one did not want to build a UAE jet then there wouldn't be much point buying the F-16 Block 60 kit, as only the UAE operates that variant and I don't believe all the parts for the other Block 52+ operators are in there.

Of course, you could always do a WHIFF...

Just by looking at the box art of that kit, it clearly lacks those big fairings on the both sides of the nose the Sufa has.

I was wondering about the same question too. If one chooses to not build the kit as a UAE jet, and it cannot be built as a Sufa, what can it be built as? A Singapore jet? HAF jet? I'm still undecided on whether to buy the kit until I know what other build options there are.

Cheers,

Terry

I believe the Singapore birds are blk52+ like the Sufa. Same thing with the HAF birds, but different configuration than the Sufa. HAF birds have the extended tail with big RWR bulge, without the large RWR antennas on each side of the nose and intake. I believe only the UAE uses the blk 60. Not knowing whats included in the kit, I don't know if anything else can be built from it, but I doubt the parts necessary for the Sufa, HAF or Singapore blk 52's are included.

edit:or what Bobski said above! :deadhorse1:

Edited by JasonB

It seemed to me that the fairings on the side of the nose on the sufa were missing, but there were a bunch of parts on the tree that you do not need. I wondered if there was overlap. I will be building the UAE jet, but I was thinking about picking up another one. From what I understand the UAE jet is more advanced than the Sufa.

Looking at this review

http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=mod...ent&id=4946

and comparing the sprues to the instructions here

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/mod/prev...gawa/07244a.jpg

It looks like most of the unused parts are for the the small mouth F-16's with the P&W engine and earlier launch rails plus non-bulged gear doors. All of these are present, as I recall, in the F-16DJ kit, so they just carry overs from that base kit. Some are antennas, and I can see what appear to be the 2 large RWR antennas used on Polish birds (and only one for the HAF birds) but no extended tail. Likely they included one seperate new sprue with all the various antennas they would need for different versions.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Hasegawa kit from Sprue Bros. for $47.99. Don't be a idiot like me and spend $250.00 two years ago to build a conversion that took me forever to acquire all the resin parts and decals!