Hi Fang,

That is alot of work but worth every minute. I'm a firm believer in adding the detail even if it's hard to see. My theory is that the eye picks it up on a sub-conscious level and makes the model feel much more real.

I had no idea that the intake area was so complex on the Hustler. This is becoming a very informative thread, cheers.

:nanner:

Hi Fang,

That is alot of work but worth every minute. I'm a firm believer in adding the detail even if it's hard to see. My theory is that the eye picks it up on a sub-conscious level and makes the model feel much more real.

I had no idea that the intake area was so complex on the Hustler. This is becoming a very informative thread, cheers.

:monkeydance:

Thanks GW. Yes, these tedius "fiddly bits" pay off in the long run. At least I'll know they're there. I didn't know much abou the engine intakes either and a photo search turned up very little. So, doing some reading and "imagineering" (Sorry, Walt) and one, really blurry photo of the intake on the internet of the Bendix Trophy winner, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do.

Thanks to Fisher Products I was able to get the intakes I wanted. Thanks to Dmold, I had the correct size J-79 faces. Thanks to Aires, I had the afterburner sections. Now, the kit parts for each nacelle which amount to 4 total, have about 7 or 8 more in aftermarket. Each engine nacelle has become a "kit" unto itself. It's fun and the next three will go faster, I'm sure. It's a long process.

After these engines are done, I will continue with the scribing and the riveting and probably get after the cockpits..and maybe work on the aftermarket all-metal landing gear for a diversion.

As long as I have DVD's and reruns on TV, I'm in good shape. Had forgotten just how bad the old Lost In Space series was. *whew*...that Dr Smith is a tiresome lot!

More pics coming....when I do some engine assembly!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!!

Fang

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

I always wanted to slap Dr. Smith....whata blithering idiot! LMAO

The engine looks really good. Have you tried a dry fit withe the Aires cans? That worries me. I've had a bad experience with Aires fit. Also, is the metal gear that good? The kit parts after clean up look pretty good.

regards.....Jerry

I always wanted to slap Dr. Smith....whata blithering idiot! LMAO

The engine looks really good. Have you tried a dry fit withe the Aires cans? That worries me. I've had a bad experience with Aires fit. Also, is the metal gear that good? The kit parts after clean up look pretty good.

regards.....Jerry

Hi Jerry, Actually, yes. On my old Hustler kit that remains at about 44% complete, the Aires parts fit very well. I can probably get photos of that with the dry-fit if you like. I got the metal gear simply because I thought the plastic might be a little rickety. Many say it's not but then, they haven't seen me move from one place to another. The movers took out two of my prized possessions, my F-15E and my A-10. I still haven't had the stomach to repair them. I can't total them, they mean too much to me. So the metal gear was for peace of mind but it does need a lot of cleaning up.

Hey Fang-

So nice to see you work again-You have so much talent. I'm glad you are giving us such a great tutorial! Looks awesome :cheers:

Pig

Pig, you are too kind. I am, nonetheless, encouraged by your words. Thank you.

This project is great fun. And the B-58 is a great bird. Might've even gotten the nickname "Raptor" before the term was en vogue as it looks like a great prehistoric carnivore. I've ordered some DVD's on it to help me stay motivated and interested. Between that and my other collections...including the tempestuous Dr Zachary Smith, I can do a lot of work in a short time.

Really enjoying your build, always liked the B-58 and have one in the stash on the must eventually build...

This project is great fun. And the B-58 is a great bird. Might've even gotten the nickname "Raptor" before the term was en vogue as it looks like a great prehistoric carnivore.

I don't know, always thought Hustler said it all, thing looks fast sitting still. Besides there's no way the name would fly today.

Great work, sir.

mason

Fang,

you know what, I don't find your tutorial boring at all.... your technical stuff does not overpower ME as it does on some other threads.

there is so much to learn and see and it is FANTASTIC work.

I love the fact that you love to add small details even if no one else can see them BUT you know you have done them

and can see them.Gives it that complete finished look.

tremedously good workmanship .. :worship: :)

Great stuff here. Do you have any plans in reproducing the resin bits you have made and offering them up for sale?

Absolutely NOT.

This would violate the work of someone who made a part for a specific purpose and generates revenue by it. My modifications are not sufficient to just copy them and sell them. Not only would it be wrong, it would be the worst kind of insult to the people who provided the originals.

However, I can recommend Fisher's intakes highly, as I can the Dmold engine faces. I still plan on using the originals for my F-4E. I simply needed the right size engine faces for the B-58. So rather than completely create my own which would end up looking exactly like Dmold's parts anyhow, I simply cast copies and cut them up to suit the need.

So please, all who read this, respect the work of others who usually don't mind if you modify their stuff to use for a different purpose, but not to capitalize on their efforts by doing a small mod to them and then casting them for sale. Bad ju-ju.

OK, more "engine work" which is turning out to be more than I expected. But fun.

The Fisher resin intakes are awesome but it meant having to cut the intakes off the kit part. My first attempt at this was a rather sorry one and will probably do something different on the next one. A nice, perpendicular cut is what I was after but doing it by hand, well, not so much. Nothing a little filler and sanding can't fix, right?

B58Engine002a.jpg

Next was the exhaust treatment. I fumbled around looking for photos of the real bird and noted that the J-79 sat in the engine pod but was simply surrounded by non-supporting sheet metal in the rear by the AB can. So, noting that the Aires exhaust was a just a tad smaller than the outside diameter of the kit part, I measured, examined, measured some more then took out the dremel and sanded a lot of the thickness of the plastic away to provide the illusion of thin sheet metal at the point where the AB can pops out.

B58Engine005a.jpg

B58Engine006a.jpg

Then, I fit the Aires AB can inside. Not bad. Looks better in person..the photos exaggerate things.

B58Engine003a.jpg

And, basically you get the idea. Much more to do, including building the guts of the AB section. I noticed that the PE flameholders are too big to stick inside of the Aires AB part. I will have to fashion something.

B58Engine010a.jpg

In my meanderings on the interwebz, I noted that there have been some discussions about these particular Aires parts and that they are oversize. Well, they fit the kit parts very well but the kit parts are out of scale. By that, I mean, like others, I've noticed that the engine pods themselves could stand to go on a diet, they are a little chubby compared to the photos I've looked at. Not badly so, but enough to notice. So, rather than carve all new nacelles, which I could see myself doing, I am simply opting to not waste the money I've already spent and use the resin parts I have.

Nice engine nacelle! It sure does look a LOT different than that on the kit. :monkeydance: I really liked the way ya thinned out the styrene at the afterburning end; awesome.

Whoa! Look at the thickness of the plastic inside the nacelles; is it easily 1.5 millimetres thick or more? Say, whut did ya first use to cut off the intakes, and whut are ya using next for the other three?

I noticed that the PE flameholders are too big to stick inside of the Aires AB part. I will have to fashion something.

:) Isn't there any way to reduce the diametre on the PE flameholders by using a punch set, for instance? Such a bummer to have to fashion something else when ya've got the PE parts...

Keep it up, VADM, mate!

Unc²

Nice engine nacelle! It sure does look a LOT different than that on the kit. :monkeydance: I really liked the way ya thinned out the styrene at the afterburning end; awesome.

Whoa! Look at the thickness of the plastic inside the nacelles; is it easily 1.5 millimetres thick or more? Say, whut did ya first use to cut off the intakes, and whut are ya using next for the other three?

:) Isn't there any way to reduce the diametre on the PE flameholders by using a punch set, for instance? Such a bummer to have to fashion something else when ya've got the PE parts...

Keep it up, VADM, mate!

Unc²

Thanks, Unc,

Well, I used my little jeweler's bow-saw to cut this intake off. Not sure what I'll do for the other three. I will ponder......

On second look with the PE flameholders....they look like a very tight fit on the outermost ring. There's no way to reduce their diameter, unfortunately. But, holding the part to the Aires piece where they're supposed to slide in, looks like they were engineered to be a very tight fit. So it may work out and I may have been premature in my assumption. Let's hope so. This is just the first engine pod and it's taking longer than I'd like but that's just the way it goes sometimes. The results are very rewarding so I have no complaints.

The trick will be to get the PE part installed far enough without ruining it first.

These may, or may not be of help. I thought they were interesting opportunities to shoot some lesser seen details.

All are of Greased Lightning at the SASM, Ashland Nebraska.

Rick L.

Actually, Rick....YES.

I was looking for some shots of the flameholder on the J-79 as installed on a B-58 and you have answered my prayers. Also, seeing the reverse side of the intake spike is interesting. I kind of figured the engine pod itself is all sheet metal, very little that's structural with the engine mounted from above. Good stuff, that. Thank You!!

Fang

Absolutely NOT.

This would violate the work of someone who made a part for a specific purpose and generates revenue by it. My modifications are not sufficient to just copy them and sell them. Not only would it be wrong, it would be the worst kind of insult to the people who provided the originals.

However, I can recommend Fisher's intakes highly, as I can the Dmold engine faces. I still plan on using the originals for my F-4E. I simply needed the right size engine faces for the B-58. So rather than completely create my own which would end up looking exactly like Dmold's parts anyhow, I simply cast copies and cut them up to suit the need.

So please, all who read this, respect the work of others who usually don't mind if you modify their stuff to use for a different purpose, but not to capitalize on their efforts by doing a small mod to them and then casting them for sale. Bad ju-ju.

Opps, my bad. For the record, and in personal practice, I do not ever state to copy and steal another' work.

I was looking more at the pics than the text, and thought you had made them yourself.

Opps, my bad. For the record, and in personal practice, I do not ever state to copy and steal another' work.

I was looking more at the pics than the text, and thought you had made them yourself.

No worries. Just wanted everyone to know I don't pirate others' work to sell. Seeing as I had paid for a set of two, I could've bought another two but I thought this was easier. And, I've spent a lot of money on AM parts already.

Hopefully, other modelers will understand and not think of me as a "rogue caster" and that I steal people's work willy-nilly. Only willy. Never nilly.

But the engines are moving along smoothly now and I found that the flameholder DOES fit after all. Optical illusion and all that. I'm now trying to figure out how to get that sucker in there straight. Not easy but I have a plan, Norton.

Not too much to report, folks. Been scribing on and off. This is the result of about four hours of slow, tedious, painful, boring work. But the results are well worth it.

Fuselage02.jpg

The lines where the hatches are are good guides for where to remove the plastic when I get ready for Mike West's AWESOME cockpit set.

I have the bottom half of the wing done, the top of the fuselage, an engine pod (as you know) and the left half of the tail. Still much more to go.

The next plan after the scribing is to basically tape the parts together as necessary, and line up the rivets along the wing with the fuselage. I will draw pencil lines for that, then disassemble the parts and put down all the rivets. Another long, tedious, boring operation. But, in order to get that look I'm after, I need to do this. It may turn out to be totally sucky....but....I'm just curious.

Thanks for looking.

Hi there, VADM Fangschleister, mate! :wave:

Hey, me's been peepin' at yer work on here 'n' was wonderin' whether whut ya meant by "stressed skin" 'n' "draw in" look was this:

Hustler.jpg

If this is whut ya meant, that's an awesome effect! :lol: Ya say ya've learnt that technique here on ARC? Hope ya show us how that effect is done step by step, mate. It's real to scale.

Keep the great job up, mate.

Very nice work so far...the stressed skin is done well also, but on...B-58's!!! Not gona happen bro, besides they were still new when the were retired. All in all Sir, it's very impressive work so far, keep it up!!!

Edited by LZ82
Very nice work so far...the stressed skin is done well also, but on...B-58's!!! Not gona happen bro, besides they were still new when the were retired. All in all Sir, it's very impressive work so far, keep it up!!!

Aw, thank ya, Landing Zone 82! :cheers: But as VADM Fangschleister well put it, stressed skin was not the outcome of weariness or fatigue owing to usage or time but it was an effect due to the way that the aluminum sheets were cut into panels and laid down and riveted, or "stressed" onto the structure within the airframe; B-58s would come out the factory assembly line like this, ya dig?

Maybe this will help: "Stressed" skin

LZ82 does have a point. And as I said, I was trying to make it subtle. No aircraft skin surface is absolutely fare. (fair?) that is to say, without flaw. Other than a mathematical ideal for engineering purposes, it's never that way on the real machines though they come close. Modern techniques are much better at building to much closer tolerances but all aircraft built by the monocoque method, will show some imperfection as viewed lengthwise, or, down the reflective path.

I think I achieved the subtlety I was seeking since it took all kinds of moving this part around to show the dimpling sufficiently in the light I had. On a 1/72 Constellation kit, this effect would be more pronounced, owing to the lighter construction for obvious reasons.

LZ82 is correct in that the B-58 probably wouldn't have it in obvious abundance, owing to the short distance between structural members under the sheet skin. But, it would be there. Really hard to avoid it. But it also wouldn't look like a bunch of huge wavy spots, really either. So subtlety is really important.

Anyhow, I'm still scribing.....my fingers are sore. More photos coming in a few weeks.

Fang

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Fang,

Have you put this one down in favor of your Jetstar? I can't blame you, the USAF was still using the Jetstar as a VIP transport in the early eighties. For some reason I want to call it a Saberliner. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I seem to recall the one I saw and was on was painted kinda like the livery on Air Force 1. What are you planning for the Hustler project?

Paul

Edited by Paul Mullins