While planning to build a 1/48th HH-65C with the Trumpeter kit and Fireball Modelworks conversion i picked up a 1/72nd Hobbyboss HH-60J that i will be building out of box just to be building something while i wait on my Cobra Co interior for the dolphin

The Kits

4408335017_26ea43c319_b.jpg

Jayhawk before construction

4408335165_8337f6a03d_b.jpg

White and Orange complete, masking for the Black

4409102168_4ccb1199bb_b.jpg

All colors down, just future and decals left

4409102324_0d310d9a96_b.jpg

Edited by SpiritZeroThree

Wow amazing paint work on tha UH-60

I will be following closely as i was going to buy the Trumpeter UH-65 but was told it wasent that acurate

Cheers

Neo

Neo

You are correct, the trumpeter kit is nowhere near accurate for a coast guard helo. You will need at least the cobra company interior and fireball modelworks tail to make an accurate HH-65A or HH-65B, get the fireball modelworks nose to make a -C. However for a C you will also need to make new exhausts, and for a B or C you will need to make new main gear bay covers in place of the kit gear doors

-Nick

Lovely Jayhawk, Nick.

It's great to see that kit being built and so quickly! As Neo said, excellent paintwork as well. Mine is still awaiting my attention, despite much fondling and the occasional smattering of trial fit/minor work.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick ;

That is one superb Jayhawk you have built .

My first attempt at building the Hobbyboss HH-60J didn't work out , I airbrushed the front cockpit section and seats flat black and after glueing the two fuselage halves together , I was disappointed about the lack of cockpit detail that was visible . I have since bought another Hobbyboss Jayhawk kit along with some self adhiesive PE for the SH-60B , I thought of using for the cockpit .

Your paint finish is excellent , I hope when I start my build i can get the same quality finish you achieved with your Hobbyboss HH-60J Jayhawk .

John.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. The Jayhawk is my first model after a 3 year hiatus from the hobby, i figured a straight out of box build would be good practice before i go start carving resin again.

Wayne - the MH-68 in the back ground is the testors die-cast 1:48th kit. crappy up close but form 3 feet away it looks the part and fills a spot on the shelf, i really wish someone would come out with a real kit of the A-109 in 1/48th scale.

Austin/John - this was my first hobby boss kit and after building a trumpeter F4U-4 and A-7E i was pleasantly surprised at how well it went together. the only nasty seam was along the bottom of the cabin, and it had the best decals i've ever used in a kit, the rotor stripes and warning labels on the radar went over flat black with no silvering.

Wayne - the MH-68 in the back ground is the testors die-cast 1:48th kit. crappy up close but form 3 feet away it looks the part and fills a spot on the shelf, i really wish someone would come out with a real kit of the A-109 in 1/48th scale.

Thank you for the info ;)

• 3 months later...

Really nice paintjob on this one, Nick! Since I have one lying around myself, might I just ask what color you've used for the red/orange parts? It looks really spot on to me. :jaw-dropping:

How were the decals, by the way?