HeyGuys,

Just wanted to share that I watched THE HURT LOCKER and I found it extremely

captivating,powerful and held MY attention from the moment it started..

Would reccommend it..

Now I want to see the other War movie . based on true events...THE PACIFIC....

HOLMES :banana:

Edited by HOLMES

What is it about........for some reason this is the first I've heard of it. I'm a little anxious to see the reworked version of a "Clash of Titans". There are a few movie types that I don't watch and those are ones with combat or war zone footage.

HeyGuys,

Just wanted to share that I watched THE HURT LOCKER and I found it extremely

captivating,powerful and held MY attention from the moment it started..

Would reccommend it..

Now I want to see the other War movie . based on true events...THE PACIFIC....

HOLMES :(

I saw this movie and thought it was "ok", certainly not in the running for best pic of the year. It did have outstanding cinematography and combat scenes, it really made you feel that you were in the middle of the action. The most stressful part was when they focused on the poor guy on overwatch. You could just feel all those eyes looking at him, wondering who was a sniper and who had the controls to an IED.

From what I understand, they fabricated a good deal the EOD procedures for the Hollywood factor( ie - just leave the robot in the HUMVEE, I'd rather go check out that IED myself, the guy leaving the base solo in the middle of the night, going off on your own during a firefight to check out some buildings), the last two examples are great ways to land in the lead role in an Al-Quaida decapitation video. You never go anywhere solo in a combat zone. That and losing track of your weapon are considered major party fouls.

It also was a bit cliche (the wacked out, war loving GI, the incompetent officers, etc). At least it wasn't as blatantly anti-military as one would have expected out of a Hollywood product.

It will be interesting to see how it does at the Oscars.

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee

Even though this movie was directed by a woman, it is not a "liberal" movie. It is very sympathetic to the hero and what he is going through. It is very tense at times and violent.

Another fun fact is that either Hurt Locker or Avatar are expected to win the Best Picture Oscar. It comes down to a fight between James Cameron and his Ex-wife. Weird.

Saw it over the weekend, and for the life of me, I can't see why it it was even nominated for Best Picture, much less won. I thought it was a mediocre movie at best. There so may eye-rolling moments that I almost turned it off in the middle at one or two points. For all of the realistic atmosphere, the characters and situations were so Hollywood that it detracted from the picture for me.

Oscars and junk aside, I've seen the movie, loved it. Knew a few EOD's that, you know, had a lot of similar traits as the lead character.

Will hollywood ever get anything right? Not up to me, I, like most, just watch their products. Like I said - the lead has a lot of parallels with EOD's I've worked with. Some Chimo's too. I enjoyed it.

Marks two cents.

Another fun fact is that either Hurt Locker or Avatar are expected to win the Best Picture Oscar. It comes down to a fight between James Cameron and his Ex-wife. Weird.

That probably helped her in the balloting.

Regards,

Murph

I watched this one a few days ago, and I really cannot for the life of me figure out why anybody would consider this anywhere near close to even being nominated for best picture, I just dont get it. I admit that some of the combat scenes were pretty cool, most of the rest of it is total crap. Trust me, nobody is gonna be let stupid enough to outside of the gate by himself like that and expect to ever get back alive, how even got out of the gate is another bunch of total crap. AND he does it while still half in uniform and then walks around in town...lives!

I just get sick and tired seeing movies like this that make us look like retarded psychopaths sitting around between missions beating the **** out of each other for fun.

There's a ton of innacuracies in this movie, a lot of situations that would'nt happen at all the way they are presented in the movie.

And those uniforms didnt come out till 05 or so, you wouldnt see any US soldiers wearing digi cams during 2004, that's a fact.

I did like the look of the sets though, all the scenes in the iraqi cities/towns or whatever looked 100% the part. I also liked the scene where they watching all the iraqis watching them and you can see how terrified they look, yeah, that's pretty accurate.

Another fun fact is that either Hurt Locker or Avatar are expected to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Avatar for best picture? Wow. Take away the CGI and you have a disney movie. Nothing original or groundbreaking there. I think that from watching previews - Alice in Wonderland will be a better movie based on the same technology.

Hurt Locker? Admittedly, I saw the Cannes version and not the general release version but I cannot figure out why it would be up for a best picture. While it did explore stress and its effects and was very good at 'mood' it was pretty much the same scene over and over again.

I guess there was not a lot of competition or originality this year in film.

Gents:

Watched it last nite as opposed the "glitterati" of the Oscars! Not a bad movie! I enjoyed it! The story was not nearly as good as a book I read last year by an EOD guy from the UK who worked in Mosul. I can't remember the title..............cause I lent the book to someone and never got it back. It explored the "relationship" between the individual EOD personnell and individual "bombers" who showed up at the scene of a "diffusing" to watch their "handiwork" and record same. The book was excellent! The EOD guy was an admitted adrenalin junkie and came close to, or did lose his family because of his adrenalin need. I think it would have made a better movie!

Alvin5182

Saw it over the weekend, and for the life of me, I can't see why it it was even nominated for Best Picture, much less won. I thought it was a mediocre movie at best. There so may eye-rolling moments that I almost turned it off in the middle at one or two points. For all of the realistic atmosphere, the characters and situations were so Hollywood that it detracted from the picture for me.

What Dave said.

Mike

Is there anyone in Hollywood that isn't an ex-wife of James Cameron?

Wasn't he also married to Gale Anne Hurd and Linda Hamilton? I guess I'm a wife or two behind. On the plus side, he divorced them long before Avatar, so they probably are out of any cut of the money he made from that. I suspect he can more than afford his alimony payments right now.

I'd just like to endorse Dave's view of the movie , there was NOTHING there that even remotley felt like a Best Picture contender, (mind you neither did last years winner)

As far as i'm concerned , i'm getting the box set of "Generation Kill" , a much more authentic feeling view of modern US soldiers at war , (not being americian or Ex military however its all a bit subjective on my part ), but Generation held my attention for 8 weeks or so , I found my mind wanderin during the Locker after the first 15-20 minutes

"And those uniforms didnt come out till 05 or so, you wouldnt see any US soldiers wearing digi cams during 2004, that's a fact."

Do you really think this is important?

Just another factual inaccuracy that adds to hollywoods reputation with fans of military films.

To those people, it's a major screwup.

• 1 month later...
I watched this one a few days ago, and I really cannot for the life of me figure out why anybody would consider this anywhere near close to even being nominated for best picture, I just dont get it. I admit that some of the combat scenes were pretty cool, most of the rest of it is total crap. Trust me, nobody is gonna be let stupid enough to outside of the gate by himself like that and expect to ever get back alive, how even got out of the gate is another bunch of total crap. AND he does it while still half in uniform and then walks around in town...lives!

I just get sick and tired seeing movies like this that make us look like retarded psychopaths sitting around between missions beating the **** out of each other for fun.

There's a ton of innacuracies in this movie, a lot of situations that would'nt happen at all the way they are presented in the movie.

And those uniforms didnt come out till 05 or so, you wouldnt see any US soldiers wearing digi cams during 2004, that's a fact.

I did like the look of the sets though, all the scenes in the iraqi cities/towns or whatever looked 100% the part. I also liked the scene where they watching all the iraqis watching them and you can see how terrified they look, yeah, that's pretty accurate.

I couldn't agree more. I felt ashamed for watching it as it felt like I was contributing to the Hollywood BS campaign.

I HATED IT!