Well, not sure how often you guys visit the diorama section, but I'd figure I'd post my completed helicopter here... Well, truth be told its done until everything else in the diorama is ready...

The MH-60K 91-26373 is my subject, nothing too special about it, other than it's an MH-60K that I have reference pictures with the tail number visable...

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

And then here's it with the other parts of the diorama (Working Title: Headhunting in Balad, 2009):

009.jpg

And one really cool pic (or atleast I think so...)

019.jpg

Take care,

Austin

Great work. At first I thought the MH-60 is in 1:48 scale, until I read the title.

Very convincing. An with those fast roping guys you hit two of my hobbies scale models/aircrafts and handguns (which the SpecOps guys surely carry)

Cheers

Thorsten

Hi

That looks just plain awesome. Going to be a cool dio.

Great job on that helo. I wonder how many times you watched "black hawk down" ?????

I like your weathering job on your helo.

Nice coning on the blades.

Oliver

Thanks guys! It'll be put away for the last two months of school, but then it'll be finished over the summer...

Greg, I knew I was forgetting something! I added that to the list of work.

Rafael, the 160th flies with the doors off for most of the time

040530-A-9745S-003.jpg

The helmet on the gunner is an HGU-56P with Maxillofacial Shield.

mercy6b6pb.jpg

Take care,

Austin

Edited by arkhunter2002
Can someone update me on this helmet :

HGU-56P with Maxillofacial Shield

Is the shield there to keep the wind off the mic or for protection? What ever it does...it sure is scary looking!

Tim

Tim,

I believe it is primarily for facial protection during a crash. It also has the secondary benefit of reducing wind noise for the microphone. I don't believe that is has any real ballistic protection (for that matter, I'm not sure if the flight helmets even offer ballistic protection), maybe Jon or one of the other active duty guys could confirm this. I agree, it does add some pretty cool fear factor. I saw some very interesting pictures of custom artwork on these. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Austin - that is one great looking model. I wouldn't even try to paint ACU's on 1/35th scale figures, yet you have done a very good job in 72nd. Just a fantastic job so far.

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee

:cheers:

Awesome work Austin!! It looks great, especially in 'insane man' scale! :rofl:

I don't believe that is has any real ballistic protection (for that matter, I'm not sure if the flight helmets even offer ballistic protection), maybe Jon or one of the other active duty guys could confirm this.

John, taken from the manufacturer's website

The MFS weighs less than five ounces, and offers an interface between shield and visor that reduces wind on the face. The shield offers ballistic fragmentation protection up to 550 feet per second (fps).

Cheers,

Tom

:D

Awesome work Austin!! It looks great, especially in 'insane man' scale! ;)

John, taken from the manufacturer's website

Cheers,

Tom

It sounds like they offer some limited protection but neither helmet nor MFS would stop a bullet. I wonder why the Army hasn't upgraded their flight helmets to something more bullet resistant? The grunts have had lighter and lighter kevlar helmets issued over the years, all of which are designed to stop a 7.62 round.

Thanks for the info.

John